La Estancia Nursing and Rehabilitation Center is one of several options to choose from in Phoenix, Arizona. This nursing home is a middle of the pack facility, with an overall grade of C. Phoenix received a city grade of B, so there are other options in the city worth considering. This place did not meet our expectations in all of our categories, but it did not receive any terrible grades either. Additional information about its category grades can be found below.
La Estancia Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
This facility received a solid overall grade as described above, but we really wanted to point out its excellent health inspections in recent years. We awarded them an impressive grade of A- in this category. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in determining our inspection ratings. One key factor is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of the deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some deficiencies end up being relatively minor. This particular nursing home received 6 deficiencies on its inspection report. Overall, this is still a solid inspection report, but we'd always recommend looking into any deficiencies you find troubling.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's next best category ended up being its short-term care score, where it was given a B-. With our short-term care rating, we attempt to create a fair barometer for rehabilitation. In this process, we analyze the facility's scope of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. Unfortunately, this facility was below average in terms of its number of physical therapy and registered nurse hours provided to its patients based on the metrics we assessed. Finally, we considered the number of patients who were able to return home from this nursing home. We found that 6.3 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home. This figure was actually well below average.
Does this page answer your questions about La Estancia Nursing and Rehabilitation Center?
Another strength of this nursing home is its favorable grade in nursing. We gave them one of our better scores in that area, with an D. We weighed the licensure of nurses at the nursing home, as well as the quantity of time the nurses worked with patients, in computing our grade in this category. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in computing our nursing scores. This place fared well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be reliable indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to our final category, we awarded this facility a grade of D for the area of long-term care. This was the nursing home's worst category rating. In a long-term care setting, the facility's primary objective is to keep patients as healthy and safe as possible. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate residents. After looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination statistics. This nursing home vaccinated 98.01588 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which is better than the average nursing home. To our surprise, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this facility had fewer hospitalizations than the majority of nursing homes. Unfortunately, a few of its other scores in the category were not as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
La Estancia Nursing and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In La Estancia Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 9.03% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage caused by remaining in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In La Estancia Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 2.25% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure measures the percent of long-term residents which have experienced a fall which caused severe injury. We use this statistic in calculating nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In La Estancia Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 1.58% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely caused by lower quality nursing care. However, this metric may be skewed for some nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In La Estancia Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 11.13% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric measures the percentage of long-term patients receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may suggest a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In La Estancia Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 16.92% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint is an indication of the percent of long-term stay patients receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In La Estancia Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 2.87% of Patients
This is the percent of patients showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In La Estancia Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 81.19% of Patients
This is the percent of patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In La Estancia Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 12.86% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term stay patients that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and using the bathroom. Some experts would argue that this is a reliable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In La Estancia Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 23.01% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients that retained mobility levels. Some experts would argue that mobility is critical to residents' mental and physical well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In La Estancia Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 23.01 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In La Estancia Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 10.95 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is a correlation between keeping patients out of the emergency room and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In La Estancia Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 73.63% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percent of short-term care residents who saw functional improvements.
Scores for Phoenix, AZ
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Phoenix, Arizona has 22 other nursing homes
- Chandler Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.93 miles away1955 West Frye Road Chandler Arizona 85224Voluntary non-profit - Other(480) 728-3000
- Banner Desert Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.06 miles away1400 South Dobson Road Mesa Arizona 85202Voluntary non-profit - Private(480) 412-3000
- St Luke's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.65 miles away1800 East Van Buren Street Phoenix Arizona 85006Proprietary(602) 251-8156
- Valleywise Health Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.9 miles away2601 East Roosevelt Street Phoenix Arizona 85008Government - Local(602) 344-5011
- Banner - University Medical Center PhoenixAcute Care Hospitals 11.86 miles away1111 East Mcdowell Road Phoenix Arizona 85006Voluntary non-profit - Other(602) 239-2000
- Valley HospitalPsychiatric 12.36 miles away3550 East Pinchot Avenue Phoenix Arizona 85018Voluntary non-profit - Other(602) 957-4000
- St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.25 miles away350 West Thomas Road Phoenix Arizona 85013Voluntary non-profit - Church(602) 406-5001
- Scottsdale Osborn Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.27 miles away7400 East Osborn Road Scottsdale Arizona 85251Proprietary(480) 882-4004
- Southwest Kidney Dialysis - Tempe (Dva)4.06 miles away2149 E Warner Rd Ste 109 & Ste 110 Tempe Arizona 85284CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (480) 730-3531
- Raven Dialysis Center (Dva)5.26 miles away3540 E Baseline Rd Ste 110 Phoenix Arizona 85042CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (602) 431-2110
- Tempe Dialysis (Fmc)6.4 miles away1449 W Southern Ave Tempe Arizona 85282CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (480) 967-6360
- Chandler Dialysis (Fmc)7.83 miles away912 W Chandler Blvd Bldg a-D Chandler Arizona 85225CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (480) 821-9801
- South Phoenix Dialysis (Dsi)8.42 miles away4621 S Central Ave Phoenix Arizona 85040Dialysis Stations: 20 (602) 304-1977
- Sun Lakes Dialysis (Fmc)8.75 miles away9666 E Riggs Rd Ste 143 Chandler Arizona 85248CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (480) 883-1301
- Ocotillo Dialysis (Dva)9.3 miles away975 W Chandler Heights Ste 101 Chandler Arizona 85248Dialysis Stations: 12 (480) 802-4405
- Southwest Mesa Dialysis (Dsi)9.6 miles away1457 W Southern Ave Ste 19 Mesa Arizona 85202Dialysis Stations: 24 (480) 894-5411