Kyakameena Care Center is one of five available facilities located in Berkeley, California. Featuring an overall grade of B, this appears to be a fine option. You could certainly do much worse than this facility. This facility was better in some categories than others, but it did not have any poor grades in any of our major areas discussed below. More information about these categories can be found below.
Kyakameena Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Palliative Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Colostomy Care
Registered Staff Hours
One of the reasons this place is a strong facility is that it received a very impressive inspection score. In fact, inspections turned out to be its best category grade. In that category, we awarded this facility an A-. Inspection grades weigh several factors, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can find more information about each of these factors by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. While this place had some minor dings on its inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones found in categories G through L. This tells you that the government inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Remember that deficiency-free inspection reports are rare in this industry.
Short-term Care Quality
An additional quality feature for this nursing home is that it was awarded a very positive short-term care grade. In fact, this proved to be its second best category grade. In that area, we gave this facility a B+. Our short-term care grades are based on the nursing home's quantity of highly-skilled nursing services. This includes a broad spectrum of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, in addition to other variations of therapy. Unfortunately, we were not able to find registered nurse or physical therapy staffing data for this facility. Finally, we looked at the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Kyakameena Care Center?
Another one of this facility's impressive category grades came in the area of nursing care. We awarded them one of our better scores in that area, with a grade of B. Our nursing score is based on the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. We consider both the levels of training of those nurses and the quantity of hours spent with residents. This facility provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can generally be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Long-term Care Quality
The final category we assessed was long-term care. We awarded it a grade of B- in that area. This is not a bad grade in this category. In the category of long-term care, we analyze the amount of care offered by a facility, rather than more medically-intensive services. After looking at the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we turned to the facility's vaccination records. We were pleased to find that this facility vaccinated 100 percent of its patients for pneumonia. This facility keeps its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Kyakameena Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Kyakameena Care Center, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are often caused by residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Kyakameena Care Center, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic is an indication of the percent of long-term care residents which sustained a fall resulting in serious injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls may be an indicator of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Kyakameena Care Center, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are routinely the result of worse hygiene protocols. However, this datapoint may be misleading for some facilities due to varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Kyakameena Care Center, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to make sure these medications are being used appropriately. In limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may indicate a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Kyakameena Care Center, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric indicates the percent of long-term care residents taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Kyakameena Care Center, 4.64% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care patients who are demonstrating symptoms of depression. Many argue this is a reliable measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Kyakameena Care Center, 95.44% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Kyakameena Care Center, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Kyakameena Care Center, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients who maintained mobility over time. Optimizing mobility can be a great sign for residents' health.
In Kyakameena Care Center, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is critical to maintaining the physical health of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Kyakameena Care Center, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Kyakameena Care Center, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Kyakameena Care Center, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percent of short-term patients that saw functional improvements.
Scores for Berkeley, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Berkeley, California has 4 other nursing homes
- Alta Bates Summit Medical Center - Alta Bates CampAcute Care Hospitals 0.55 miles away2450 Ashby Avenue Berkeley California 94705Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 204-4444
- Children's Hospital & Research Center OaklandChildrens 1.68 miles away747 52nd Street Oakland California 94609Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 428-3000
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - Oakland/RichmondAcute Care Hospitals 2.66 miles away275 West Macarthur Boulevard Oakland California 94611Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 752-1000
- Alta Bates Summit Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.84 miles away350 Hawthorne Avenue Oakland California 94609Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 655-4000
- Highland HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.74 miles away1411 East 31st Street Oakland California 94602Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 437-4800
- Alameda HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.88 miles away2070 Clinton Avenue Alameda California 94501Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 522-3700
- Chinese HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.97 miles away845 Jackson St San Francisco California 94133Voluntary non-profit - Private(415) 982-2400
- Saint Francis Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.55 miles away900 Hyde St San Francisco California 94109Voluntary non-profit - Private(415) 353-6000
- Berkeley Dialysis Center0.09 miles away2655 Shattuck Ave Berkeley California 94704CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (510) 486-8706
- Oakland Dialysis Center1.51 miles away5354 Claremont Avenue Oakland California 94618CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (510) 597-0104
- Us Renal Care Berkeley1.53 miles away2895 7th Street Berkeley California 94710Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 843-0627
- Rai Piedmont1.69 miles away2710 Telegraph Avenue Suite #100 Oakland California 94612CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (510) 286-9948
- Wellbound of Emeryville2.69 miles away2000 Powell Street Suite 140 Emeryville California 94608Dialysis Stations: 4 (510) 985-9660
- Satellite Dialysis Oakland2.74 miles away3330 Telegraph Ave Oakland California 94609CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (510) 433-8340
- Rai Peralta3.1 miles away2757 Telegraph Avenue Oakland California 94612CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (510) 835-0154
- El Cerrito Dialysis Center4.8 miles away10690 San Pablo Avenue El Cerrito California 94530CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (510) 528-9590