Kirkland Village is a facility located in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. The city has 123,241 people. We awarded this nursing home a superb overall score of A. In fact, it turned out to be ranked among the top three facilities in the city. You flat out can't do much better than this facility. Headlining this nursing home's remarkable profile is its inspection reports, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Bethlehem senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Radiation Therapy
- Aquatic Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Top Nursing Home in Pennsylvania Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in Pennsylvania Awards 2020
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to receiving a great overall score, this facility also received an A+ inspection grade. This score is based on its recent inspection reports. An A+ in this area is one of the best complements we can pay to a nursing home. Inspection grades are based on several items found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places that excel in this category typically have few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these places should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. This place was assessed 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none were considered to be severe deficiencies. This means that the government inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies to create an immediate threat to patient safety or health. A couple minor dings are not necessarily something to panic about.
Adding to its strong resume, this facility also received an excellent nursing score, with a grade of A. Our nursing score is primarily tied to the nursing home's nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place the country in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can many times be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as by employing a policy of moving a patient at least once a day.
Does this page answer your questions about Kirkland Village?
Short-term Care Quality
Moving on our third area, we awarded this facility a score of A for its short-term care score. This is a very strong score. Our short-term care grade is typically used to measure a facility's performance with rehabilitation To provide quality rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally need to provide better levels of skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, respiratory therapists and other highly skilled individuals. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. However, according to the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last statistic we considered in this category is the number of patients that returned home from the facility. We found that 5.5 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Long-term Care Quality
The final category we graded was long-term care, in which this facility was awarded a grade of B. Although this is its least impressive category rating, this is still an above average score. If you are looking for services other than rehabilitation, you should take a close look at long-term care scores. In addition to considering the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to 84.26966 percent of its residents. This is slightly lower than we anticipated. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Kirkland Village Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Kirkland Village, 8.54% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This gauges the percent of long-term stay patients who are suffering from new or worsened pressure ulcers . We factor in this statistic in computing our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Kirkland Village, 0% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients that suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injury are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Falls resulting in injury are routinely caused by lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Kirkland Village, 1.18% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections could be associated with poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Kirkland Village, 1.2% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many patients, it is important to ensure these medications are being used appropriately. In some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Kirkland Village, 15.07% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are commonly given to residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Kirkland Village, 0% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care patients exhibiting symptoms of depression. Some experts argue this is a reasonable measure of patient quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Kirkland Village, 79.89% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Kirkland Village, 14.29% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and continence.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Kirkland Village, 27.74% of Residents
This is the percentage of patients that maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility is usually a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Kirkland Village, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is critical to the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Kirkland Village, 27.74% of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Kirkland Village, 8.05% of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Kirkland Village, 70.68% of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many argue this is a reliable measure of rehabilitation services.
Scores for Bethlehem, PA
- Overall Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-plus
Looking for more options? Bethlehem, Pennsylvania has 6 other nursing homes
- St Luke's Hospital BethlehemAcute Care Hospitals 2.72 miles away801 Ostrum Street Bethlehem Pennsylvania 18015Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 954-4000
- St Luke's Hospital - Anderson CampusAcute Care Hospitals 4.26 miles away1872 St Luke's Blvd Easton Pennsylvania 18045Voluntary non-profit - Private(484) 503-3000
- Sacred Heart HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.71 miles away421 Chew Street Allentown Pennsylvania 18102Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 776-4900
- Easton HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.29 miles away250 South 21st Street Easton Pennsylvania 18042Proprietary(610) 250-4076
- Lehigh Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.48 miles away1200 South Cedar Crest Boulevard Allentown Pennsylvania 18105Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 402-2273
- St Luke's Warren HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.75 miles away185 Roseberry St Phillipsburg New Jersey 08865Voluntary non-profit - Other(908) 847-6700
- St Luke's Quakertown HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.38 miles away1021 Park Avenue Quakertown Pennsylvania 18951Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 538-4500
- Palmerton HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.7 miles away135 Lafayette Avenue Palmerton Pennsylvania 18071Voluntary non-profit - Other(610) 826-3141
- Davita - St. Luke's Bethlehem1.59 miles away1425 8th Avenue Bethlehem Pennsylvania 18018CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (484) 403-4304
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Bethlehem2.67 miles away2014 City Line Road, Suite 102 Bethlehem Pennsylvania 18017CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (610) 264-9660
- Bio-Medical Applications of Pennsylvania, Inc3.32 miles away1005 Harvard Avenue Bethlehem Pennsylvania 18015Dialysis Stations: 17 (610) 997-8350
- Etowah Dialysis, LLC5.36 miles away1220 3rd Street Whitehall Pennsylvania 18052Dialysis Stations: 13 (610) 266-1706
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Fogelsville5.67 miles away7310 Tilghman Street, Suite 100 Allentown Pennsylvania 18106Dialysis Stations: 13 (610) 395-1980
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Whitehall5.95 miles away1320 Mickley Road Whitehall Pennsylvania 18052CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (610) 264-2228
- Davita - Palmer Dialysis Center6.7 miles away30 Community Drive Easton Pennsylvania 18045CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (610) 258-8855
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Easton6.73 miles away3501 Northwood Avenue Easton Pennsylvania 18045Dialysis Stations: 30 (610) 253-4278