Kingswood Senior Living is in the densely populated metropolitan area of Kansas City, Missouri with a population of 545,147 people. With an overall rating of A-, this facility is one of the higher-rated facilities we assessed. Indeed, this turned out to be one of the five best facilities in Kansas City. The best part of this place's profile is is its long-term care score. We discuss long-term care in the next paragraph.
Kingswood Senior Living
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Other
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Aquatic Therapy
Top Nursing Home in Missouri Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in Missouri Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
We also wanted to emphasize the fact that this facility received a grade of A in our long-term care category. For prospective patients seeking a permanent place to live as opposed to skilled nursing, long-term care is an important category. Once we assessed the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination record. This nursing home vaccinated 83.21168 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is a few points lower than we expected but still a decent percentage. Although its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we had hoped, at least this place was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Adding to its impressive category grades, this nursing home also excelled in the category of inspections, where it earned a grade of A. Arguably the most important factor we consider in computing our inspection scores is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a facility's inspection reports. Nursing homes with better grades in this category typically avoided the most severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. While this nursing home had a few deficiencies on its report, none of them were severe based on CMS' scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Kingswood Senior Living?
Short-term Care Quality
Turning the page to our third area, we gave this nursing home a grade of A- for our short-term care rating. This is a superb rating. In computing our short-term care ratings, we scrutinize a facility's levels of highly skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists occupational therapists and other highly skilled individuals. This category is typically a useful assessment of a facility's rehabilitation. We were not able to track down information on registered nurse or physical therapy staffing for this nursing home. The last statistic we assessed in this category is the number of patients who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We found that 6 percent of this nursing home's residents were able to return home.
The last category we analyzed is nursing. This facility was awarded a strong nursing rating this year, with a B. Although this is not quite as elite as several of its other category grades, this remains one of the better scores for this area. When computing a nursing home's nursing score, we assess the amount of time nurses are caring for residents as well as the level of licensure of the nurses. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can generally be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Kingswood Senior Living Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Kingswood Senior Living, 9.28% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage caused by staying in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Kingswood Senior Living, 3.89% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents that have had a fall which caused major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Kingswood Senior Living, 3.39% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be an indicator of nursing care . UTI's are routinely caused by a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. However, this statistic could also be skewed for certain nursing homes due to different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Kingswood Senior Living, 20.47% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are given to patients for a variety of conditions, such as cognitive disorders. Tragically, in limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Kingswood Senior Living, 24.32% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients given antianxiety medications. These drugs are prescribed to patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Kingswood Senior Living, 4.19% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who are exhibiting depressive symptoms. High levels of depression may be an indicator lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Kingswood Senior Living, 88.53% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Kingswood Senior Living, 14.79% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and continence.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Kingswood Senior Living, 14.68% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that were able to retain mobility.
In Kingswood Senior Living, 1.7 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Minimizing hospitalizations is critical to preserving the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Kingswood Senior Living, 14.68 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Kingswood Senior Living, 11.55 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between keeping patients out of the emergency room and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Kingswood Senior Living, 72.81% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percentage of short-term patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some experts believe that this is a reliable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Kansas City, MO
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Kansas City, Missouri has 28 other nursing homes
- St Joseph Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.09 miles away1000 Carondelet Dr Kansas City Missouri 64114Proprietary(816) 942-4400
- Menorah Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.87 miles away5721 West 119th Street Leawood Kansas 66209Voluntary non-profit - Other(913) 498-6773
- Research Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.52 miles away2316 E Meyer Blvd Kansas City Missouri 64132Proprietary(816) 276-4000
- Saint Luke's South HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.87 miles away12300 Metcalf Avenue Overland Park Kansas 66213Voluntary non-profit - Other(913) 317-7904
- Adventhealth Shawnee MissionAcute Care Hospitals 6.06 miles away9100 W 74th Street Overland Park Kansas 66204Voluntary non-profit - Church(913) 676-2152
- St Lukes Hospital of Kansas CityAcute Care Hospitals 6.74 miles away4401 Wornall Road Kansas City Missouri 64111Voluntary non-profit - Private(816) 932-2000
- Overland Park Reg Med CtrAcute Care Hospitals 6.9 miles away10500 Quivira Road Lenexa Kansas 66215Proprietary(913) 541-5000
- University of Kansas HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.39 miles away4000 Cambridge Street Kansas City Kansas 66160Government - Hospital District or Authority(913) 588-7332
- Dialysis Clinics, Inc - Saint Joseph0.8 miles away650 Carondelet Dr Kansas City Missouri 64114CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 38 (816) 941-0595
- Dialysis Clinics, Inc - State Line Dialysis0.9 miles away621 Carondelet Dr Kansas City Missouri 64114Dialysis Stations: 8 (816) 942-3650
- Dialysis Clinics, Inc - Swope Parkway2.72 miles away6530 Troost Ave Kansas City Missouri 64131Dialysis Stations: 24 (816) 363-8228
- Dialysis Clinics, Inc - Baptist2.72 miles away6530 Troost Ave Kansas City Missouri 64131CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (816) 363-8228
- Timberlake Dialysis2.79 miles away12110 Holmes Rd Kansas City Missouri 64145Dialysis Stations: 12 (816) 942-3827
- Nall Dialysis4.19 miles away10787 Nall Ave #130 Leawood Kansas 66211Dialysis Stations: 15 (913) 649-2671
- Bio-Medical Applications of Leawood4.37 miles away6751 W 119th St Leawood Kansas 66209Dialysis Stations: 18 (913) 491-6341
- Kansas City Dialysis & Transplant Center4.52 miles away2340 E Meyer Blvd Building 1, Suite #100 Kansas City Missouri 64132CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (816) 444-2098