Kingston Care Center of Fort Wayne is a facility located in Fort Wayne, Indiana which has a population of 305,409 people. This nursing home was awarded an A- overall, which is one of our higher scores. Even in a city featuring 26 nursing homes, this facility stands out. This nursing home also received very consistent grades in all four of our categories. More information about its category grades is available below.
Kingston Care Center of Fort Wayne
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
To pair with its strong overall score, we gave this facility an A for our inspections rating. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in determining these inspection scores. One of those factors is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of the deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some deficiencies end up being relatively minor. Fortunately, although this facility had some minor dings on its government inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are labeled as categories G through L. This means that the government inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. The fact that none of the deficiencies were severe made us feel better about this inspection report.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home also was given a dominant short-term care grade. This actually is its second strongest category score. In that category, this facility received a score of A. Short-term care scores are based in part on a nursing home's quantity of skilled highly skilled professionals. This includes a broad range of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we considered the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 6 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Kingston Care Center of Fort Wayne?
In addition, this facility also received favorable nursing grades this year. In fact, we awarded them one of our better scores in that area, with a grade of B+. The nursing category is based on several subcategories, most of which are associated with nursing hours. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well in terms of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
The last category we analyzed is long-term care, in which this nursing home received a grade of B. While this is its weakest category grade, this is nevertheless a strong rating. Long-term care grades of this caliber generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. One of the data points we considered after nursing hours was vaccinations. This facility provided the pneumonia vaccination to 98.4127 percent of its patients. This is a reliable method to minimize unnecessary deaths for the nursing home population. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Kingston Care Center of Fort Wayne Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Kingston Care Center of Fort Wayne, 7.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are routinely caused by residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Kingston Care Center of Fort Wayne, 3.93% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic gauges the percent of long-term patients who sustained a fall resulting in severe injury. We use this statistic in determining nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Kingston Care Center of Fort Wayne, 1.87% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes linked to inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Kingston Care Center of Fort Wayne, 13.18% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure measures the percentage of long-term residents that are given antipsychotic drugs. Excessive reliance on these medications may mean a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior in scenarios where such drugs are not medically required. However, some nursing homes may need to rely on these drugs due to an increased number of patients suffering from Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Kingston Care Center of Fort Wayne, 21.77% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are typically prescribed to residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Kingston Care Center of Fort Wayne, 12.89% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who are showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Kingston Care Center of Fort Wayne, 91.48% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Kingston Care Center of Fort Wayne, 15.74% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's may indicate erosion of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Kingston Care Center of Fort Wayne, 15.7% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who maintained mobility. Many believe that the ability to move around is vital to residents' mental and physical health.
In Kingston Care Center of Fort Wayne, 1.46 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is important to preserving the physical well-being of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Kingston Care Center of Fort Wayne, 15.7 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Kingston Care Center of Fort Wayne, 11.29 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to gauge the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Kingston Care Center of Fort Wayne, 73.78% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term patients that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of independence with activities of daily living usually correlates with successful rehabilitation.
Scores for Fort Wayne, IN
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Fort Wayne, Indiana has 25 other nursing homes
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.72 miles away700 Broadway Fort Wayne Indiana 46802Proprietary(260) 425-3000
- Dupont Hospital LLCAcute Care Hospitals 3.87 miles away2520 E Dupont Rd Fort Wayne Indiana 46825Proprietary(260) 416-3000
- Orthopaedic Hospital at Parkview North LLCAcute Care Hospitals 4.66 miles away11130 Parkview Circle Dr Fort Wayne Indiana 46845Voluntary non-profit - Private(260) 672-4050
- Parkview Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.68 miles away11109 Parkview Plaza Drive Fort Wayne Indiana 46845Voluntary non-profit - Private(260) 266-1000
- Lutheran Hospital of IndianaAcute Care Hospitals 8.23 miles away7950 W Jefferson Blvd Fort Wayne Indiana 46804Proprietary(260) 435-7001
- Parkview Whitley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.41 miles away1260 E Sr 205 Columbia City Indiana 46725Voluntary non-profit - Private(260) 248-9301
- Dekalb HealthAcute Care Hospitals 17.43 miles away1316 E Seventh St Auburn Indiana 46706Voluntary non-profit - Private(260) 925-4600
- Davita - Summit City Dialysis3.23 miles away3233 East Coliseum Blvd. Fort Wayne Indiana 46805CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (260) 373-1599
- Davita-Fort Wayne North Dialysis3.35 miles away415 E Dupont Road Fort Wayne Indiana 46825Dialysis Stations: 13 (260) 637-0431
- Fmc - Dupont Dialysis3.87 miles away10204 East Dupont Circle Drive Fort Wayne Indiana 46825CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (260) 489-9255
- Davita - Fort Wayne West4.87 miles away4916 Illinois Road, Suite 118 Fort Wayne Indiana 46804Dialysis Stations: 14 (260) 434-0483
- Davita - Appleseed5.75 miles away1833 Magnavox Way Fort Wayne Indiana 46804Dialysis Stations: 4 (260) 432-1036
- Davita - Fort Wayne South6.56 miles away302 E. Pettit Ave. Fort Wayne Indiana 46806CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (260) 456-0451
- Fmc - Northeast Indiana Kidney Ctr - Fort Wayne7.26 miles away7836 W. Jefferson Blvd., Suite ll10 Fort Wayne Indiana 46804CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (260) 432-4225
- Randolph Dialysis, LLC7.8 miles away6721 Old Trail Road Fort Wayne Indiana 46809Dialysis Stations: 12 (260) 478-8582