Kendal on Hudson is a small non-profit nursing home located in Tarrytown, New York. This facility is among the most impressive nursing homes we found. In fact, it received our most impressive grade. In fact, this facility made our top 100 list of the best nursing homes in the nation, which is just an astounding accomplishment. If you scroll down, you can see this facility's category scores, which are equally impressive as its overall score.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Kendal on Hudson
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Tarrytown senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Aquatic Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Top Nursing Home in New York Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Tarrytown, New York Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in New York Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Tarrytown, New York Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in New York Awards 2021
Best Nursing Home in Tarrytown, New York Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
We also wanted to point out that this facility earned near flawless health inspections in recent years. We awarded them an A+ in this category. Arguably the most critical factor we consider in calculating our inspection grades is deficiencies. Deficiencies can be found on a facility's inspection reports. Facilities with better scores in this category most likely avoided the more severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. Fortunately, although this place had a few minor dings on its inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those found in categories G through L. This means CMS did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
This nursing home also received an A+ nursing grade, making it one of the few nursing homes to receive multiple A+ category grades. Nursing scores are primarily based on a facility's nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.6 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can often be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Kendal on Hudson?
Short-term Care Quality
In the next category we analyzed, this facility was given quality marks in the category of short-term care. For this reason, it was given one of our most impressive scores in that area with a grade of of A+. In calculating our short-term care ratings, we scrutinize the nursing home's levels of highly skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists occupational therapists and other types of therapists. This rating is often a reliable assessment of the nursing home's ability to rehabilitate patients. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last metric we considered in this area is the number of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We found that 6.2 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on to the final area, this nursing home was awarded a very strong long-term care rating. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A in this area, rounding out a straight A profile. Facilities that excel in long-term care typically provide patients with more supervision and stay on top of routine healthcare services. After considering the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination data. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its residents for pneumonia. Vaccines are critical to keeping patients healthy. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Kendal on Hudson Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Kendal on Hudson, 2.13% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are often the result of patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols can reduce the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Kendal on Hudson, 0% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients who suffered from a fall which caused severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Kendal on Hudson, 13.56% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections are linked to poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Kendal on Hudson, 16.39% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term patients receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Kendal on Hudson, 11.48% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are administered to patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Kendal on Hudson, 14.75% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients exhibiting depressive symptoms. High levels of depression could reveal worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Kendal on Hudson, 100% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Kendal on Hudson, 15.52% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Kendal on Hudson, 24.92% of Residents
This indicates the percent of patients that retained mobility levels over time. Retaining mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
In Kendal on Hudson, 0.3 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Kendal on Hudson, 24.92% of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Kendal on Hudson, 2.44% of Patients
Measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to measure patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Kendal on Hudson, 68.53% of Resident
This datapoint measures the percentage of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements.
- Phelps Memorial Hospital AssnAcute Care Hospitals 0.37 miles away701 North Broadway Tarrytown New York 10591Voluntary non-profit - Other(914) 366-3000
- Nyack HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.19 miles away160 North Midland Avenue Nyack New York 10960Voluntary non-profit - Other(845) 348-2000
- Westchester Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.53 miles away100 Woods Rd Valhalla New York 10595Government - Hospital District or Authority(914) 493-7000
- Northern Westchester HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.63 miles away400 East Main Street Mount Kisco New York 10549Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 666-1200
- St John's Riverside HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.92 miles away976 North Broadway Yonkers New York 10701Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 964-4444
- Hackensack Meridian Health Pascack Valley MedicalAcute Care Hospitals 11.7 miles away250 Old Hook Road Westwood New Jersey 07675Proprietary(201) 383-1035
- St Joseph's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.65 miles away127 South Broadway Yonkers New York 10701Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 378-7000
- New York-Presbyterian/Hudson Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.8 miles away1980 Crompond Road Cortlandt Manor New York 10567Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 734-3611
- Davita Hudson Valley Dialysis Center3.12 miles away155 White Plains Road Suite 107 Tarrytown New York 10591CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (914) 332-7599
- Freedom Center of Rockland County, LLC3.88 miles away131 Route 303 Valley Cottage New York 10989CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (845) 268-2777
- Dialysis Clinic Inc, Bradhurst4.03 miles away19 Bradhurst Avenue Hawthorne New York 10532CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (914) 592-4366
- Westchester Artificial Kidney Center4.84 miles away234 Tarrytown Road Dialysis Unit Elmsford New York 10523CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (914) 592-5858
- Davita White Plains Dialysis Center7.16 miles away200 Hamilton Avenue Suite 13b White Plains New York 10601CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (914) 328-4900
- Rockland County Dialysis7.99 miles away203 West Route 59 Nanuet New York 10954Dialysis Stations: 20 (845) 501-7590
- Friedwald Center for Dialysis8.83 miles away475 New Hempstead Road New City New York 10956Dialysis Stations: 9 (845) 678-2000
- Davita Port Chester Dialysis and Renal Center9.23 miles away3020 Westchester Ave Purchase New York 10577CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (914) 701-5232