Kendal on Hudson is a small non-profit nursing home located in Tarrytown, New York. Remarkably, we ranked this as one of the top 10 facilities in the United States. With more than 15,000 facilities in the nation, this is an incredibly impressive feat. You flat out can't do much better than this place. As you can find below, this place performed equally well in our category grades. We gave it a straight A report card!
Kendal on Hudson
Updated May 1, 2022 by Sara Levinsohn
One Kendal Way,
Tarrytown NY 10591
49.76% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
We also wanted to point out the fact that this nursing home has received near flawless inspections recently. We gave them an A+ in this category. Our inspection ratings weigh several factors included in a nursing home's inspection reports. One key criteria we rely on is the number and severity of deficiencies. Places with higher scores in this category usually have very few of these severe deficiencies. This facility received 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered severe. This means that CMS didn't consider any of the deficiencies to be an immediate threat to resident health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
We also awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for its nursing grade. Our nursing score is largely based on the facility's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home boasts a really impressive 5.7 hours of nursing care per resident daily, of which a significant percentage of those hours were provided by registered nurses. This is one of the more highly trained levels of nurses. In addition to providing impressive levels of care, this place also excelled in the quality-based metrics we looked at. It performed as well as any facility in the nation in the area of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls.
Does this page answer your questions about Kendal on Hudson?
Long-term Care Quality
Turning the page to our next category, this high end facility also performed remarkably in the area of long-term care. In this category, it received a A+. Only a small group of facilities performed better in this area. Facilities that excel in long-term care tend to provide residents with closer supervision and stay on top of routine healthcare services. One of the datapoints we considered on top of this nursing home's quality nursing hours was vaccinations. This facility provided the pneumonia vaccine to 100 percent of its residents. Vaccines are a great way to avoid unnecessary hospitalizations for seniors. Lastly, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Short-term Care Quality
The final area we rated was short-term care. We awarded them another first-rate grade of A+ in this category. This completed a flawless profile of four A+'s. Our short-term care ratings are presumably more important for residents needing rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation typically requires more skilled nursing services. This includes not merely nursing services, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other forms of therapy. This nursing home excelled at the highest level in the two key staffing areas we assessed. The facility offered about 50% more care from physical therapists and registered nurses than the typical facility. Finally, we looked at the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that it outperformed the vast majority of facilities in the nation in this area with 62.5 percent of its residents returning home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Kendal on Hudson Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Kendal on Hudson, 9.64% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by staying in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Kendal on Hudson, 3.1% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients who have had a fall which caused serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Kendal on Hudson, 2.09% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often the result of facilities with lower levels of hygiene. Additional nurse staffing can minimize the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. We want to point out that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Kendal on Hudson, 11.62% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure is a measure of the percent of long-term residents receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may mean a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Kendal on Hudson, 13.11% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This gauges the percentage of long-term residents taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Kendal on Hudson, 13.02% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents demonstrating symptoms of depression. Increased levels of depression could be a sign worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Kendal on Hudson, 92.45% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for seniors, making these types of vaccines important for resident well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Kendal on Hudson, 14.69% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and using the bathroom.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Kendal on Hudson, 8.78 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Kendal on Hudson, 74.53% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percentage of short-term care patients that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some experts argue this is a reliable measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
- Phelps Memorial Hospital AssnAcute Care Hospitals 0.37 miles away701 North Broadway Tarrytown New York 10591Voluntary non-profit - Other(914) 366-3000
- Nyack HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.19 miles away160 North Midland Avenue Nyack New York 10960Voluntary non-profit - Other(845) 348-2000
- Westchester Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.53 miles away100 Woods Rd Valhalla New York 10595Government - Hospital District or Authority(914) 493-7000
- Northern Westchester HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.63 miles away400 East Main Street Mount Kisco New York 10549Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 666-1200
- St John's Riverside HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.92 miles away976 North Broadway Yonkers New York 10701Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 964-4444
- Hackensack Meridian Health Pascack Valley MedicalAcute Care Hospitals 11.7 miles away250 Old Hook Road Westwood New Jersey 07675Proprietary(201) 383-1035
- St Joseph's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.65 miles away127 South Broadway Yonkers New York 10701Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 378-7000
- New York-Presbyterian/Hudson Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.8 miles away1980 Crompond Road Cortlandt Manor New York 10567Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 734-3611
- Davita Hudson Valley Dialysis Center3.12 miles away155 White Plains Road Suite 107 Tarrytown New York 10591CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (914) 332-7599
- Freedom Center of Rockland County, LLC3.88 miles away131 Route 303 Valley Cottage New York 10989CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (845) 268-2777
- Dialysis Clinic Inc, Bradhurst4.03 miles away19 Bradhurst Avenue Hawthorne New York 10532CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (914) 592-4366
- Westchester Artificial Kidney Center4.84 miles away234 Tarrytown Road Dialysis Unit Elmsford New York 10523CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (914) 592-5858
- Davita White Plains Dialysis Center7.16 miles away200 Hamilton Avenue Suite 13b White Plains New York 10601CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (914) 328-4900
- Rockland County Dialysis7.99 miles away203 West Route 59 Nanuet New York 10954Dialysis Stations: 20 (845) 501-7590
- Friedwald Center for Dialysis8.83 miles away475 New Hempstead Road New City New York 10956Dialysis Stations: 9 (845) 678-2000
- Davita Port Chester Dialysis and Renal Center9.23 miles away3020 Westchester Ave Purchase New York 10577CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (914) 701-5232