Kempsville Health & Rehab Center is an average-sized nursing home in Virginia Beach, Virginia. This facility received an overall grade of B+, which is a well above average rating. If you take a look at the other options in Virginia Beach, we suspect you will find this facility to be a better option than most of the facilities in the city. You should also take a look at this facility's category grades below. short-term care grades are discussed in the next section.
Kempsville Health & Rehab Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
5520 Indian River Road,
Virginia Beach VA 23464
86.22% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
This facility received a strong overall score as described above, but we wanted to note its excellent short-term care grade. We awarded them an A- in this area. Our short-term care scores are considered to be most meaningful for those in need of rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation typically requires higher levels of skilled nursing. This includes not only nursing services, but also physical and respiratory therapy, as well as other forms of therapy. We were not able to locate registered nurse or physical therapy staffing data for this facility. The last statistic we considered in this category is the percentage of residents who ultimately returned home from the nursing home. We found that 6.5 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Adding to its impressive category grades, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A- for our inspections rating. Inspection grades weigh several factors, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these factors by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Although this place had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none of them were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Kempsville Health & Rehab Center?
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to the third category, this facility also received a score of B+ for its long-term care rating. This is a well above average grade in this area. If you are looking for anything other than short-term rehabilitation, you should take a close look at long-term care ratings. One of the statistics we considered in addition to nurse's aid hours was vaccines. This facility provided the pneumonia vaccination to 90.86539 percent of its residents. Although its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we had hoped, we were pleased to find nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
The next area we analyzed proved to be this facility's worst area. Nevertheless, even in its worst category we still gave it a respectable grade of B- for nursing. Our nursing rating assesses many data points, however, the primary one is the quantity of nurse hours per patient per week. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this place surprisingly excelled in some of the quality measures we looked at. In fact, it scored well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. Many consider these areas to be measures of the quality of nursing care. In many cases, the quality of nursing care is just as important as the number of hours of care provided.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Kempsville Health & Rehab Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Kempsville Health & Rehab Center, 8.72% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric gauges the percent of long-term patients who are suffering from pressure ulcers . We use this statistic in calculating both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Kempsville Health & Rehab Center, 3.64% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients who suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to major injuries are considered by many experts to be a measure of nursing care at a nursing home. Falls which result in injury are often caused by lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Kempsville Health & Rehab Center, 2.55% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of long-term stay residents who suffered from UTI's. UTI's could be an indication of poor nursing care. However, this statistic can also be misleading for some facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Kempsville Health & Rehab Center, 13.56% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic medications. These drugs may be used to treat a variety of medical conditions, such as cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Kempsville Health & Rehab Center, 20.28% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients prescribed antianxiety medications. These drugs are commonly used to treat patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Kempsville Health & Rehab Center, 3.63% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Kempsville Health & Rehab Center, 91.12% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Kempsville Health & Rehab Center, 16.48% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living could indicate decline of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Kempsville Health & Rehab Center, 21.22% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents that maintained mobility.
In Kempsville Health & Rehab Center, 1.29 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Kempsville Health & Rehab Center, 21.22 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Kempsville Health & Rehab Center, 11.62 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Kempsville Health & Rehab Center, 75.54% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percent of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many in the industry would argue this is a measure of rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Virginia Beach, VA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Virginia Beach, Virginia has 10 other nursing homes
- Sentara Leigh HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.42 miles away830 Kempsville Road Norfolk Virginia 23502Voluntary non-profit - Other(757) 261-6700
- Chesapeake General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.21 miles away736 Battlefield Blvd, North Chesapeake Virginia 23320Government - Hospital District or Authority(757) 312-8121
- Nmc PortsmouthAcute Care - Department of Defense 7.22 miles away620 John Paul Jones Circle Portsmouth Virginia 23708Department of Defense(757) 953-5008
- Childrens Hospital of the Kings Daughters IncChildrens 7.63 miles away601 Children's Lane Norfolk Virginia 23507Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 668-9647
- Sentara Norfolk General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.72 miles away600 Gresham Dr Norfolk Virginia 23507Voluntary non-profit - Other(757) 388-3000
- Bon Secours Depaul Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.52 miles away150 Kingsley Lane Norfolk Virginia 23505Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 889-5000
- Bon Secours Maryview Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.33 miles away3636 High Street Portsmouth Virginia 23707Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 398-2200
- Sentara Virginia Beach General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.66 miles away1060 First Colonial Road Virginia Beach Virginia 23454Voluntary non-profit - Other(757) 395-8000
- Davita Kempsville Dialysis1.61 miles away1920 Centerville Turnpike Suite 122 Virginia Beach Virginia 23464Dialysis Stations: 17 (757) 502-0360
- Fresenius Kidney Care Indian River2.65 miles away4303 Indian River Road Suite 26 Chesapeake Virginia 23325Dialysis Stations: 17 (757) 361-0193
- Kempsville Dialysis Center3.27 miles away6320 North Center Dr Bldg 15 Ste 140 Norfolk Virginia 23502CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 34 (757) 466-9446
- Stines Dialysis LLC3.28 miles away230 Clearfield Ave Ste 106 Virginia Beach Virginia 23462Dialysis Stations: 12 (757) 518-9439
- Leigh Dialysis Center3.28 miles away420 N Center Dr Bldg 11 Ste 128 Norfolk Virginia 23502CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (757) 455-0060
- Kempsville Home Dialysis3.37 miles away6161 Kempsville Cir Suite 155 Norfolk Virginia 23502Dialysis Stations: 2 (757) 461-9422
- Fmc - Virginia Beach3.39 miles away525 S Independence Blvd Ste 150 Virginia Beach Virginia 23452CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (757) 687-7902
- Princess Anne Dialysis4 miles away3973 Holland Rd Virginia Beach Virginia 23452CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (757) 340-3526