Kei-Ai South Bay Healthcare Center is located in Gardena, California. We awarded this nursing home an overall grade of D. A score in this range generally suggests some red flags. In our view, we would struggle to recommend this place. We wouldn't blame you if you are ready to stop reading and find another nursing home. However, if you want to learn more about this facility's category grades, short-term care grades are discussed in the next paragraph.
Kei-Ai South Bay Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Dialysis Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Catheter Care
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
While we were not high on this nursing home overall, we awarded it a B for our short-term care score. In the category of short-term care, we try to assess measures of a nursing home's rehabilitation. We assess a facility's skilled nursing services, including the ones performed by registered nurses and physical therapists. It doesn't look like this facility provided registered nurse or physical therapist staffing data. The final measure we assessed in this area is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We discovered that 5.7 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
One of the other reasons we rated this facility so highly is that it received a very impressive nursing score. In that area, we gave this facility an B-. In calculating a nursing home's nursing grade, we weigh the number of hours nurses spend with patients as well as the level of skill of the nurses. This place provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident each day. This is a low total compared with most facilities. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this nursing home excelled in some of the quality measures we assessed. In fact, it performed well when it comes to avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. Many consider these areas to be measures of the quality of nursing care. In some cases, the quality of nursing care is every bit as important as the number of hours of care provided.
Does this page answer your questions about Kei-Ai South Bay Healthcare Center?
This facility earned mediocre inspections in recent years. We awarded them a C in this category. Our inspection grades weigh a host of factors found on a facility's inspection report. One of the most important criteria we consider is the number and severity of deficiencies. This facility was hit with 7 deficiencies on its government inspection report, but none were in any of the categories labeled G through L. This tells you that this facility avoided the more significant classes of deficiencies. Unfortunately, we also need to draw your attention to the fact that this facility received some government fines in recent years.
Long-term Care Quality
The final area we rated was long-term care. Unfortunately, we gave it an F in this category, which is a poor grade. In a long-term care setting, the primary objective is to keep patients healthy and safe. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate patients. On top of looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients. To our surprise, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this nursing home has less hospitalizations than many nursing homes. Unfortunately, some of its other scores in the category weren't as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Kei-Ai South Bay Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Kei-Ai South Bay Healthcare Center, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by remaining in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Kei-Ai South Bay Healthcare Center, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who experienced a fall leading to severe injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries may be an indicator of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Kei-Ai South Bay Healthcare Center, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients which suffered from UTI's. Although more of these infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's nursing care, it is problematic to compare between facilities due to nursing homes having inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Kei-Ai South Bay Healthcare Center, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure gauges the percent of long-term patients taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to make sure these medications are being used appropriately. In limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may mean that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Kei-Ai South Bay Healthcare Center, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Kei-Ai South Bay Healthcare Center, 4.33% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who are exhibiting symptoms of depression. Some experts believe this is a reliable measure of patient quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Kei-Ai South Bay Healthcare Center, 95.72% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Kei-Ai South Bay Healthcare Center, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living may indicate decline of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Kei-Ai South Bay Healthcare Center, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of patients who were able to retain mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is often a good sign for residents' health.
In Kei-Ai South Bay Healthcare Center, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Kei-Ai South Bay Healthcare Center, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Kei-Ai South Bay Healthcare Center, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Kei-Ai South Bay Healthcare Center, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of short-term patients who saw functional improvements.
Scores for Gardena, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Gardena, California has 7 other nursing homes
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.39 miles away1680 East 120th Street Los Angeles California 90059Voluntary non-profit - Private(424) 835-6808
- Lac/Harbor-Ucla Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.35 miles away1000 W Carson St Torrance California 90502Government - Local(310) 222-2101
- Torrance Memorial Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.32 miles away3330 Lomita Blvd Torrance California 90509Voluntary non-profit - Other(310) 325-9110
- Del Amo HospitalPsychiatric 6.48 miles away23700 Camino Del Sol Torrance California 90505Proprietary(310) 530-1151
- Community Hospital of Huntington ParkAcute Care Hospitals 7.53 miles away2623 E Slauson Ave Huntington Park California 90255Proprietary(323) 583-1931
- College Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.36 miles away2776 Pacific Avenue Long Beach California 90806Proprietary(562) 595-1911
- Lakewood Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.61 miles away3700 E South St Lakewood California 90712Proprietary(562) 602-6751
- Pih Hospital - DowneyAcute Care Hospitals 9.55 miles away11500 Brookshire Avenue Downey California 90241Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 904-5000
- u.s. Renal Care Gardena Dialysis - Redondo0.11 miles away1045 W. Redondo Beach Blvd., Suite 105 Gardena California 90247CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (310) 515-0788
- u.s. Renal Care Gardena Dialysis - 190th1.98 miles away1149 W. 190th Street, Suite 1004 Gardena California 90248CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (310) 965-0830
- Davita-Gateway Plaza Dialysis Center2.4 miles away1580 W. Rosecrans Avenue Compton California 90220CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (310) 631-3085
- Davita-Hawthorne Dialysis3.01 miles away14204 Prairie Avenue Hawthorne California 90250CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (310) 349-1174
- Mobile Dialysis Services, Inc. (Compton)3.1 miles away801 W. Compton Blvd. Compton California 90220Dialysis Stations: 36 (310) 637-9026
- Davita-Imperial Dialysis3.16 miles away2738 W. Imperial Highway Inglewood California 90303CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (323) 779-5399
- Fmc-Rai-Compton-Los Angeles3.31 miles away11859 Compton Avenue Los Angeles California 90059CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (323) 563-1140
- Davita-Kenneth Hahn Plaza Dialysis Center3.76 miles away11854 S. Wilmington Avenue Los Angeles California 90059CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (323) 567-5077