Kearny Mesa Convalescent and Nursing Home is an average-sized nursing home in San Diego, California. Featuring an overall rating of A-, this nursing home is one of the higher-graded nursing homes we assessed. Even in a city of 19 other nursing homes, this facility would be a great option. This place's impressive report card was highlighted by its inspection score, which we will address in the next paragraph.
Kearny Mesa Convalescent and Nursing Home
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to earning a strong overall score, this facility also earned excellent health inspections in recent years. We gave it one of our best scores in that category, with a grade of A. Arguably the most important factor we consider in determining our inspection ratings is deficiencies. Deficiencies can be found on a facility's inspection reports. Nursing homes with higher grades in this area most likely dodged the most severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Even some of the best nursing homes receive an occasional ding on their inspection report.
This facility also excelled in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of A-. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. Nursing grades are mostly based on a nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Kearny Mesa Convalescent and Nursing Home?
Short-term Care Quality
This facility also was awarded a strong short-term care score. This actually ended up being this facility's third best category score. In that area, we awarded this facility a score of A-. In determining our short-term care scores, we scrutinize a facility's levels of highly skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other types of therapists. This area is generally a solid measure of the facility's rehabilitation. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. However, based on the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 5.9 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
The last area we assessed proved to be this facility's poorest category. Nevertheless, even in its weakest link we still awarded it a decent grade of B- for our long-term care category. For prospective residents in need of a permanent place to live rather than rehabilitation, long-term care grades are a key measure. After considering the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we next considered the facility's vaccination statistics. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is more than the vast majority of nursing homes. Lastly, this facility was also able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Kearny Mesa Convalescent and Nursing Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Kearny Mesa Convalescent and Nursing Home, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure measures the percentage of long-term residents who suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are a reliable indicator of the quality of nursing care a nursing home provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Kearny Mesa Convalescent and Nursing Home, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint indicates the percent of long-term stay residents who had a fall resulting in severe injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries may be an indicator of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Kearny Mesa Convalescent and Nursing Home, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic measures the percentage of long-term care patients which experienced a UTI. While a higher rate infections could reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it can be difficult to compare different facilities due to nursing homes having varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Kearny Mesa Convalescent and Nursing Home, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to confirm these medications are being used appropriately. In some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Kearny Mesa Convalescent and Nursing Home, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients who were given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are given to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Kearny Mesa Convalescent and Nursing Home, 4.64% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Kearny Mesa Convalescent and Nursing Home, 95.44% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for seniors, making these types of vaccines vital to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Kearny Mesa Convalescent and Nursing Home, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care residents who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Kearny Mesa Convalescent and Nursing Home, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percent of long-term stay residents who were able to retain mobility.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Kearny Mesa Convalescent and Nursing Home, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between staying out of the hospital and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Kearny Mesa Convalescent and Nursing Home, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Kearny Mesa Convalescent and Nursing Home, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of short-term care residents who experienced functional improvements.
Scores for San Diego, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? San Diego, California has 18 other nursing homes
- Sharp Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.2 miles away7901 Frost St San Diego California 92123Voluntary non-profit - Private(858) 939-3400
- Uc San Diego Health Hillcrest - Hillcrest Med CtrAcute Care Hospitals 3.17 miles away200 West Arbor Drive San Diego California 92103Voluntary non-profit - Other(619) 543-6222
- Scripps Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.32 miles away4077 5th Ave San Diego California 92103Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 294-8111
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - ZionAcute Care Hospitals 3.61 miles away4647 Zion Ave San Diego California 92120Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 528-5000
- Nmc San DiegoAcute Care - Department of Defense 5.1 miles away34800 Bob Wilson Drive San Diego California 92134Department of Defense(619) 532-6400
- Alvarado Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.09 miles away6655 Alvarado Road San Diego California 92120Proprietary(619) 229-3172
- Scripps Memorial Hospital La JollaAcute Care Hospitals 7.15 miles away9888 Genesee Avenue La Jolla California 92037Physician(858) 626-4123
- Sharp Coronado Hospital and Hlthcr CtrAcute Care Hospitals 7.26 miles away250 Prospect Place Coronado California 92118Proprietary(619) 435-6251
- Fmc-Balboa Kearny Mesa Dialysis Center0.94 miles away7927 Ostrow Street, Suite A San Diego California 92111CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (858) 571-0232
- Childrens Hospital of San Diego1.62 miles away3020 Childrens Way, Mc 5115 San Diego California 92123Dialysis Stations: 5 (858) 966-8882
- Fmc-Hillcrest Dialysis3.45 miles away3960 Third Avenue San Diego California 92103CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (619) 299-3900
- Fmc-Rai-Mission Gorge San Diego3.86 miles away7007 Mission Gorge Road, 1st Floor San Diego California 92120CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (619) 229-1070
- Ucsd Dialysis Center5.77 miles awayUcsd Dialysis Center - 200 W. Arbor Drive Dialysis Program, Mail Code 8781 San Diego California 92103CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (619) 543-5646
- Fmc-Dialysis Services of College6.04 miles away5961 University Avenue Suite 317 San Diego California 92115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (619) 286-0821
- Davita-San Diego South Dialysis6.4 miles away995 Gateway Center Way, Suite 101 San Diego California 92102CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (619) 262-1960
- Fmc-Gateway Dialysis Center-East6.47 miles away720 Gateway Center Drive, Suite B San Diego California 92102CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (619) 264-4100