Located in San Leandro, California, Jones Convalescent Hospital is one of eight available facilities in the area. We gave this nursing home an overall grade of B. A grade of this caliber requires quality scores in most areas. The nursing homes in San Leandro received high grades across the board with a B+ city grade, making this one of the better places in California to find a nursing home. This nursing home's impressive profile was highlighted by its inspection grade, which you can find in the next section.
Jones Convalescent Hospital
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to earning a strong overall grade, this facility fared even better in the area of inspections which is associated with the facility's recent inspection reports. In fact, we gave it an A for this area, which is one of our highest scores. These inspection grades take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these items by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. While this nursing home had some deficiencies on its report, none of them were serious based on CMS' scale. We should point out that deficiency-free inspections are uncommon in the industry.
Adding to this nursing home's list of strengths, it also received an excellent nursing grade. We awarded them an impressive grade of A- in this category. Our nursing grade is mostly based on the facility's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home averages 0 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can typically be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Jones Convalescent Hospital?
Short-term Care Quality
The next category we graded was short-term care. This facility received a favorable short-term care grade, with a B in the area. In the area of short-term care, we seek to evaluate measures of a facility's rehabilitation. We look at the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses and physical therapists. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like this nursing home submitted data regarding its registered nurse or physical therapy staffing. The last metric we considered in this category is the percentage of residents who who were able to eventually return home from the nursing home. We found that 5.1 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to the next category, we gave this nursing home a D in our long-term care category. This is the nursing home's weakest category score. Sadly, this category hurt the nursing home's overall grade to a certain degree. If you are looking for services other than rehabilitation, you should take a close look at each nursing home's long-term care ratings. On top of looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home administered the vaccine to 100 percent of its residents. Surprisingly, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this facility has fewer hospitalizations than many nursing homes. Unfortunately, some of its other scores in this category weren't as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Jones Convalescent Hospital Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Jones Convalescent Hospital, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric indicates the percentage of long-term stay residents who are suffering from pressure ulcers or bed sores. We use this statistic in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Jones Convalescent Hospital, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents who suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injuries are considered by many experts to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls leading to injury are routinely the result of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Jones Convalescent Hospital, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic is an indication of the percent of long-term stay residents who suffered from UTI's. While more infections may reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it can be problematic to compare different nursing homes due to differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Jones Convalescent Hospital, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are prescribed to residents for many medical conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias. Sadly, in some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Jones Convalescent Hospital, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are given to patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Jones Convalescent Hospital, 4.33% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care patients who are demonstrating depressive symptoms. Some believe that this is a reasonable measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Jones Convalescent Hospital, 95.72% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Jones Convalescent Hospital, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Jones Convalescent Hospital, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of patients that retained mobility levels over time. Preserving mobility can be a good sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Jones Convalescent Hospital, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. There is a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Jones Convalescent Hospital, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Jones Convalescent Hospital, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term care patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of autonomy with ADL's typically correlates with successful rehabilitation services.
Scores for San Leandro, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? San Leandro, California has 7 other nursing homes
- San Leandro HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.02 miles away13855 E 14th Street San Leandro California 94578Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 357-6500
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - San LeandroAcute Care Hospitals 1.74 miles away2500 Merced Street San Leandro California 94577Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 454-1000
- Alameda HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.15 miles away2070 Clinton Avenue Alameda California 94501Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 522-3700
- Highland HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.7 miles away1411 East 31st Street Oakland California 94602Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 437-4800
- St Rose HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.43 miles away27200 Calaroga Ave Hayward California 94545Voluntary non-profit - Church(510) 782-6200
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - Oakland/RichmondAcute Care Hospitals 8.95 miles away275 West Macarthur Boulevard Oakland California 94611Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 752-1000
- Alta Bates Summit Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9 miles away350 Hawthorne Avenue Oakland California 94609Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 655-4000
- Children's Hospital & Research Center OaklandChildrens 10.04 miles away747 52nd Street Oakland California 94609Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 428-3000
- Satellite Dialysis San Leandro0.76 miles away801 Davis Street San Leandro California 94577CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (510) 352-4011
- Rai E. 14th0.88 miles away198 East 14th St San Leandro California 94577Dialysis Stations: 21 (510) 430-8311
- Rai Bancroft1.26 miles away6955 Foothill Blvd. Ste 220 Oakland California 94605Dialysis Stations: 26 (510) 553-1333
- San Leandro Marina Dialysis Center1.83 miles away2551 Merced St San Leandro California 94577CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 352-1207
- Satellite Dialysis West San Leandro1.84 miles away2401 Merced St Suite 110 San Leandro California 94577CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (510) 746-3900
- San Leandro Dialysis2.29 miles away15555 East 14th Street Suite 520 San Leandro California 94578CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 317-6510
- East Bay Peritoneal Dialysis2.52 miles away13939 E 14th Street Ste 110 San Leandro California 94578Dialysis Stations: 4 (510) 614-1380
- Alameda County Dialysis Center3.81 miles away10700 Macarthur Blvd. Building 7 Oakland California 94605CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 568-5849