Elan Skilled Nursing and Rehab is a senior living facility in Scranton, Pennsylvania, a city with a population of 100,355 people. This turns out to be an A rated facility. This nursing home was given one of the top ratings that we offer. A grade in this range requires excellent marks across the board. We were not surprised to discover that this proved to be radically superior to most of the nursing homes in the city. If you scroll down, you will see this facility's category ratings, which are also quite good.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Elan Skilled Nursing and Rehab
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Scranton senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Aquatic Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being an elite nursing home overall, this facility excelled in our inspections category, where it received an A+. Very few places fared as well in this category. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in determining these inspection grades. One of those factors is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of the deficiencies is arguably more important than the number of deficiencies, as some are relatively insignificant. This place was hit with 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none of the deficiencies were considered to be major deficiencies. This tells you that the government inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies to be an immediate threat to resident health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
We also would like to alert you to the fact that this nursing home received a strong score of A in our long-term care area. When nursing homes receive this kind of grade in long-term care it is typically a good sign for patient care and suggests that the nursing home is well-staffed with nurses aids. On top of considering the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to 97.911224 percent of its patients, which is what we like to see. Pneumonia is too frequently a life or death illness for nursing home patients so we like it when a nursing home doesn't take any chances. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Elan Skilled Nursing and Rehab?
Adding to its strong resume, this facility also received an excellent nursing score, with a grade of A-. Our nursing rating is based on the nursing home's nurse staffing levels. We look at both the levels of licensure of those nurses as well as the number of hours spent with residents. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
The final category we analyzed is short-term care. This facility was awarded a favorable nursing grade in our assessment, with a grade of B. While this wasn't quite as impressive as many of its other grades, this is nevertheless one of our more favorable scores in that category. Our short-term care ratings are thought to be more critical for patients in need of rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation generally utilizes more skilled nursing. This includes not just nursing, but also physical and respiratory therapy, as well as other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. However, according to the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last statistic we assessed in this category is the number of patients who eventually returned home from the nursing home. We found that 4.8 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Elan Skilled Nursing and Rehab Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Elan Skilled Nursing and Rehab, 2.26% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of long-term patients who have new or worsened pressure ulcers . We factor in this statistic in computing our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Elan Skilled Nursing and Rehab, 0.78% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who had a fall which caused major injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls may be an indicator of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Elan Skilled Nursing and Rehab, 0.54% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients who have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely the result of poor nursing care. Better nursing care reduces the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Note that this metric is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Elan Skilled Nursing and Rehab, 13.7% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are administered to residents for a variety of medical conditions, including dementia. Tragically, in some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may mean a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Elan Skilled Nursing and Rehab, 20.11% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure indicates the percentage of long-term stay residents which are administered antianxiety drugs. These medications are typically prescribed to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Elan Skilled Nursing and Rehab, 0% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who are demonstrating signs of depression. Many would argue that this is a reliable measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Elan Skilled Nursing and Rehab, 97.3% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Elan Skilled Nursing and Rehab, 14.42% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and using the bathroom.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Elan Skilled Nursing and Rehab, 14.94% of Residents
This metric tracks the percent of long-term stay residents that retained mobility levels.
In Elan Skilled Nursing and Rehab, 0.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Elan Skilled Nursing and Rehab, 14.94% of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical abilities of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Elan Skilled Nursing and Rehab, 12.46% of Patients
This metric tracks the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to assess short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Elan Skilled Nursing and Rehab, 56.02% of Resident
Measures the percent of short-term stay residents that experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Scranton, PA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Scranton, Pennsylvania has 10 other nursing homes
- Moses Taylor HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.28 miles away700 Quincy Avenue Scranton Pennsylvania 18510Proprietary(570) 340-2100
- Regional Hospital of ScrantonAcute Care Hospitals 0.43 miles away746 Jefferson Avenue Scranton Pennsylvania 18501Proprietary(570) 348-7100
- Geisinger-Community Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.53 miles away1822 Mulberry Street Scranton Pennsylvania 18510Voluntary non-profit - Private(570) 969-8240
- Geisinger Wyoming Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.38 miles away1000 East Mountain Boulevard Wilkes Barre Pennsylvania 18711Voluntary non-profit - Private(570) 826-7300
- Wilkes-Barre General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.3 miles away575 North River Street Wilkes Barre Pennsylvania 18764Voluntary non-profit - Private(570) 829-8111
- Tyler Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 19.99 miles away5950 State Route 6 West Tunkhannock Pennsylvania 18657Proprietary(570) 836-2161
- Commonwealth Dialysis1.18 miles away920 S. Washington Avenue Scranton Pennsylvania 18505Dialysis Stations: 13 (570) 344-5267
- Bio-Medical Applications of Pennsylvania, Inc1.32 miles away321 Meridian Avenue Scranton Pennsylvania 18504Dialysis Stations: 13 (570) 340-1648
- Dunmore Dialysis1.38 miles away1212 Oneal Highway Scranton Pennsylvania 18512CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (570) 558-0190
- Scranton Dialysis3.82 miles awayRear 475 Morgan Highway Scranton Pennsylvania 18508Dialysis Stations: 14 (570) 341-8270
- Old Forge Dialysis5.12 miles away325 South Main Street Old Forge Pennsylvania 18518Dialysis Stations: 12 (570) 457-3174
- Davita - Eynon Dialysis7.1 miles away260 Scranton Carbondale Highway Archbald Pennsylvania 18403Dialysis Stations: 13 (570) 876-1874
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Pittston8.57 miles away455 North Main Street Pittston Pennsylvania 18640Dialysis Stations: 13 (570) 655-4115
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Wilkes Barre13.95 miles away307 Laird Street, Suite 1 Wilkes Barre Pennsylvania 18702CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (570) 825-9531