Jeanne Jugan Residence is a small non-profit nursing home located in Newark, Delaware. Featuring an overall score of A+, this nursing home is ranked among the highest-rated nursing homes we found. We were so impressed with this facility that we ranked it as one of the top 500 best facilities in the nation. Headlining this nursing home's stellar profile is its long-term care grade, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Jeanne Jugan Residence
- Nursing Home
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Newark senior living options.Get Pricing
- No Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Best Nursing Home in Delaware Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Delaware Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Delaware Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
We also found that this facility excelled in our long-term care rating. We awarded them an impressive grade of A+ in this category. Nursing homes that excel in this category typically are well-staffed and offer extensive hands on care to residents. On top of looking at the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients. Vaccines are critical to keeping patients healthy. Lastly, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
We also wanted to emphasize the fact that this facility excelled in our nursing rating. We awarded them an impressive grade of A+ in this category. Our nursing rating is mostly associated with the facility's nurse staffing. This particular nursing home provided 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can many times be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Jeanne Jugan Residence?
Adding to this facility's impressive resume, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A for our inspections rating. Inspection grades are tied to several pieces of information located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities that excel in this area typically have very few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these facilities should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to the fourth category, this nursing home also performed well in the short-term care category. In fact, we gave it an A in this area. This completed a straight A profile. Our short-term care grade is commonly used to score a facility's rehabilitation services. To offer quality rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally must provide better levels of highly skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, respiratory therapists and other types of therapists. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the number of residents who were able to return home from this nursing home. We found that 0 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Jeanne Jugan Residence Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Jeanne Jugan Residence, 0% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are routinely the result of patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Jeanne Jugan Residence, 10.08% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients who sustained a major fall. Falls leading to major injuries are often associated with lower quality nursing care. Better nursing care can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Jeanne Jugan Residence, 11.76% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes linked to poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Jeanne Jugan Residence, 5.88% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are given to patients for many conditions, including dementia. Tragically, in limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Jeanne Jugan Residence, 30.25% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is an indication of the percentage of long-term care patients taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Jeanne Jugan Residence, 0% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who are demonstrating depressive symptoms. Many in the industry believe that this is a measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Jeanne Jugan Residence, 99.21% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Jeanne Jugan Residence, 14.29% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with ADL's could indicate the erosion of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Jeanne Jugan Residence, 10.63% of Residents
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who maintained mobility. Many in the industry would argue that the ability to move around is important for residents' physical and mental well-being.
In Jeanne Jugan Residence, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Jeanne Jugan Residence, 10.63% of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Scores for Newark, DE
- Overall Rating has a grade of A
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of A
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Newark, Delaware has 4 other nursing homes
- Christiana Care Health Services, Inc.Acute Care Hospitals 2.17 miles away4755 Ogletown-Stanton Road Newark Delaware 19718Voluntary non-profit - Private(302) 733-1000
- Rockford CenterPsychiatric 2.88 miles away100 Rockford Drive Newark Delaware 19713Proprietary(302) 996-5480
- Alfred I Dupont Hospital for ChildrenChildrens 11.19 miles away1600 Rockland Rd PO Box 269 Wilmington Delaware 19899Voluntary non-profit - Private(302) 651-4000
- Salem Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.02 miles away310 Woodstown Road Salem New Jersey 08079Voluntary non-profit - Private(856) 935-1000
- Jennersville HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.8 miles away1015 West Baltimore Pike West Grove Pennsylvania 19390Voluntary non-profit - Other(610) 869-1000
- Christiana Care Health System1.91 miles awayHemodialysis Unit, Christiana Hospital 4755 Ogletown-Stanton Road, p.o. Box 6001 Newark Delaware 19718Dialysis Stations: 21 (302) 733-1020
- Bio-Medical Applications of Delaware, Inc.2.52 miles away230 E. Main Street, Unit 325 Newark Delaware 19711Dialysis Stations: 12 (302) 366-0129
- American Universal LLC2.88 miles away1415 Pulaski Highway, Suite B Newark Delaware 19702Dialysis Stations: 17 (302) 836-9790
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Brandywine Home Therapies2.88 miles away4923 Ogletown-Stanton Road, Suite 210 Newark Delaware 19713Dialysis Stations: 3 (302) 998-7568
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Christiana4.18 miles awayUniversity Plaza Shopping Center 63 University Plaza Newark Delaware 19702CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (302) 453-8834
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Fox Run4.28 miles away2520 Wrangle Hill Road, Suite 100 Bear Delaware 19701Dialysis Stations: 15 (302) 836-6093
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Newport Pike5.56 miles away605 W. Newport Pike Wilmington Delaware 19804Dialysis Stations: 16 (302) 633-6228
- American Universal - Hockessin6.57 miles away5936 Limestone Road, Suite 101 Hockessin Delaware 19707Dialysis Stations: 11 (302) 239-4106