Located in Longwood, Florida, Island Lake Center is one of a mere three available nursing homes there. Sporting an overall rating of A-, this nursing home is one of the higher-rated nursing homes we looked at. We were so impressed with this nursing home that we ranked it in the top third of all nursing homes nationally. As you will find below, this place also performed just fine in our category ratings. It is hard to find any major flaws in this place's profile.
Island Lake Center
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
155 Landover Place,
Longwood FL 32750
87.83% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
On top of receiving a strong overall grade, this facility also excelled in inspections, which is based on the facility's inspection reports. We awarded it an A for this area. Inspection grades weigh several factors included in a nursing home's inspection reports. One key criteria we rely on is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with higher scores in this area generally have very few of these severe deficiencies. Fortunately, although this nursing home had a few minor dings on its government inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those found in categories G through L. This tells you the government inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
To complement its first-rate performance in other areas, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A- for its short-term care grade. With our short-term care category, we attempt to create a meaningful barometer for rehabilitation. In this process, we assess a nursing home's level of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as occupational therapy. This place excelled in the two key staffing areas we looked at. In fact, it offered more care from physical therapists and registered nurses than the typical facility. Finally, we looked at the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that it outperformed the vast majority of nursing homes in this area with 58.7 percent of its residents returning home.
Does this page answer your questions about Island Lake Center?
Long-term Care Quality
Additionally, this facility also was awarded favorable long-term care scores this year. In fact, we gave it one of our more favorable scores in that category, with a score of B+. Long-term care grades in this range generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine medical care. In addition to looking at the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility provided the vaccine to 83.22981 percent of its residents. This is a bit below what we were hoping for but still a decent figure. While its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we hoped for, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. With only 1.09 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this nursing home had less hospitalizations than the majority of nursing homes.
The next category we assessed was nursing. We gave this nursing home one of our better grades in this area, with a B. Even though this wasn't as strong as many of this facility's other grades, it is nevertheless an excellent score. Our nursing score analyzes quite a few factors, however, the paramount consideration is the number of nurse hours per patient per week. This nursing home averages 3.7 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can many times be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Island Lake Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Island Lake Center, 9.04% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage caused by staying in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Island Lake Center, 2.8% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients that suffered from a fall resulting in serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Island Lake Center, 1.81% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic tells you the percentage of long-term stay patients which suffered from a UTI. While more infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's cleanliness, it is difficult to compare different nursing homes due to reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Island Lake Center, 11% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint is an indication of the percent of long-term residents receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Island Lake Center, 21.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic gauges the percentage of long-term stay patients that are prescribed antianxiety medication. These drugs are given to patients experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Island Lake Center, 2.43% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term residents who are exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Island Lake Center, 95.03% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Island Lake Center, 13.16% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Island Lake Center, 18.15% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percentage of long-term care patients that maintained mobility.
In Island Lake Center, 1.59 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Island Lake Center, 18.15 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Island Lake Center, 9.19 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Island Lake Center, 77.65% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percent of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many would argue that this is a measure of rehabilitation services.
- Adventhealth OrlandoAcute Care Hospitals 8.44 miles away601 E Rollins St Orlando Florida 32803Voluntary non-profit - Private(407) 303-1976
- Oviedo Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.7 miles away8300 Red Bug Lake Rd Oviedo Florida 32765Proprietary(407) 890-2100
- Central Florida Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.79 miles away1401 W Seminole Blvd Sanford Florida 32771Proprietary(407) 321-4500
- Orlando Health Orlando Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.68 miles away52 W Underwood St Orlando Florida 32806Voluntary non-profit - Private(321) 843-8000
- Health CentralAcute Care Hospitals 14.2 miles away10000 W Colonial Dr Ocoee Florida 34761Government - State(407) 296-1820
- Adventhealth Fish MemorialAcute Care Hospitals 15.77 miles away1055 Saxon Blvd Orange City Florida 32763Voluntary non-profit - Church(386) 917-5000
- Central Florida Kidney Center - Longwood0.65 miles away745 W Sr 434 Ste A Longwood Florida 32750Dialysis Stations: 15 (407) 332-4448
- Bma - North Orlando2.14 miles away750 S North Lake Blvd Ste 1024 Altamonte Springs Florida 32701Dialysis Stations: 12 (407) 831-7070
- Casselberry Dialysis2.49 miles away4970 South Us Hwy 17-92 Casselberry Florida 32707Dialysis Stations: 20 (321) 207-7135
- Nxstage Orlando North3.91 miles away174 State Road 436 #d102 Casselberry Florida 32707Dialysis Stations: 13 (407) 754-0338
- Lake Mary Dialysis5.28 miles away39 Skyline Dr #1001 Lake Mary Florida 32746CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (407) 833-8667
- Apopka Dialysis5.39 miles away640 Executive Park Court Apopka Florida 32703CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (407) 389-8980
- West Orange Maitland Dialysis Center LLC5.56 miles away7960 Forrest City Rd Suite 105 Orlando Florida 32810Dialysis Stations: 16 (407) 297-8408
- Bio-Medical Applications of Florida, Inc.6.93 miles away6848 Aloma Ave Winter Park Florida 32792Dialysis Stations: 16 (407) 673-5191