Iowa Lutheran Hospital is located in Des Moines, Iowa, a city with a population of 212,318 people. Sporting an overall rating of A+, this facility outscored the vast majority of the nursing homes in Des Moines by a wide margin. In addition, this is a hospital-based facility, which is a positive for prospective patients with medical conditions frequently requiring hospitalization. As you will find below, this nursing home performed equally well in our category scores. In fact, we gave it straight A's!
Iowa Lutheran Hospital
- Nursing Home
Updated Nov 1, 2019 by Nick Reese
Note: Data for Iowa Lutheran Hospital has not been updated recently. This page shows historical performance which may not be representitive of current service levels.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Best Nursing Home in Iowa Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Des Moines, Iowa Awards 2019
To go along with its favorable overall score, we gave this nursing home a grade of A+ for our inspections rating. Inspection grades are tied to several items located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places that receive favorable grades in this area typically have very few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these places generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. Although this nursing home had some deficiencies on its inspection report, none of them were severe based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
We also wanted to emphasize the fact that this nursing home was superb in our short-term care rating. We awarded them an impressive grade of A+ in this area. Short-term care ratings are vital for residents in need of rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically mandates higher levels of skilled nursing. This includes a vast range of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we considered the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 6.9 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Iowa Lutheran Hospital?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility also received a impressive long-term care grade. In fact, this is its third most impressive category grade. In that area, this facility received a score of A. For patients in need of a permanent residence as opposed to skilled nursing, long-term care grades are very important. One of the criteria we considered in addition to nurse's aid hours is vaccinations. It doesn't look like this facility submitted data regarding vaccinations. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. It had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
In our final category, this facility also received an excellent nursing rating, with an A. This rounded out a first-rate report card. Our nursing grade is based on many data points. The most heavily weighted one is the quantity of hours nurses spent with patients. This nursing home averages 0.7 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Iowa Lutheran Hospital Quality Metrics
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Iowa Lutheran Hospital, 11.86 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to measure short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Iowa Lutheran Hospital, 79.45% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of short-term stay patients that saw functional improvements.
Scores for Des Moines, IA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Des Moines, Iowa has 11 other nursing homes
- Mercyone Des Moines Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.11 miles away1111 6th Ave Des Moines Iowa 50314Voluntary non-profit - Private(515) 247-3121
- Iowa Methodist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.7 miles away1200 Pleasant Street Des Moines Iowa 50309Voluntary non-profit - Private(515) 241-6212
- Iowa Lutheran HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.87 miles away700 East University Avenue Des Moines Iowa 50316Voluntary non-profit - Private(515) 263-5612
- Broadlawns Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.25 miles away1801 Hickman Road Des Moines Iowa 50314Government - Local(515) 282-2200
- Fmc - Mercy0.53 miles away95 University Ste. 11 Des Moines Iowa 50314Dialysis Stations: 21 (515) 244-0379
- Central Des Moines Dialysis0.81 miles away1215 Pleasant #106 Des Moines Iowa 50309Dialysis Stations: 20 (515) 241-5715
- East Des Moines Dialysis1.03 miles away1301 Pennsylvania Ave Ste 208 Des Moines Iowa 50316Dialysis Stations: 16 (515) 262-5995
- Riverpoint Dialysis Unit1.11 miles away501 Sw 7th St Ste B Des Moines Iowa 50309Dialysis Stations: 16 (515) 283-1300
- Davita Windsor Heights Dialysis4.63 miles away1119 73rd St Windsor Heights Iowa 50324Dialysis Stations: 12 (515) 274-9303
- Fmc - Dialysis Services Des Moines South5.25 miles away6651 Sw 9th St Des Moines Iowa 50315Dialysis Stations: 19 (515) 285-3032
- West Des Moines Dialysis9.06 miles away6800 Lake Dr #185 West Des Moines Iowa 50266Dialysis Stations: 10 (515) 221-2944
- Ankeny Dialysis10.67 miles away2625 N Ankeny Blvd Ankeny Iowa 50023Dialysis Stations: 12 (515) 963-3174