Horizon Health and Subacute Center is in Fresno, California. This city is one of the largest metropolitan areas in the nation with has a total of 570,271 people. With an overall score of C, this looks like a respectable nursing home. We wanted to point out that Fresno received a city grade of B, so you may want to look at some other options in the city as well. One of the better aspects of this nursing home's profile is its strong nursing grade, which is addressed in the next section.
Horizon Health and Subacute Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
We would like to point out that this nursing home's nursing rating exceeded its overall rating. This facility earned a B in this category, which is one of our better grades. The nursing grade weighs many datapoints. The most heavily weighted variable is the number of hours nurses spend with residents. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well in terms of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
This facility's inspection grade also was better than its overall score. Due to a quality inspection report this year, it received one of our better grades in that category with a B. Inspection scores weigh several factors, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these factors by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Although this facility had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none of them were serious based on CMS' scale. A couple minor deficiencies should not lead you to cross a nursing home off your list.
Does this page answer your questions about Horizon Health and Subacute Center?
Long-term Care Quality
We also gave this nursing home a solid grade in the category of long-term care, where we awarded it a grade of B-. With our long-term care category, we weigh the sheer volume of services offered by a facility, along with some quality metrics. After considering the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination statistics. We were optimistic to learn that this facility vaccinated 99.7955 percent of its residents for pneumonia. This nursing home was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. It had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's least impressive category was short-term care, which is the final area we looked at. In this category, we awarded this nursing home a grade of just D. Our short-term care grade is typically employed to gauge a nursing home's performance with rehabilitation. In order to provide highly graded rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally need to offer better levels of highly skilled nursing services. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, respiratory therapists and other licensed professionals. Based on its weak rating in this area, we were not surprised to learn that this facility offered far fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than most other nursing homes. The last metric we assessed in this category is the percentage of patients who returned home from the nursing home. This nursing home struggled quite a bit in this metric as well, with just 4.5 percent of its residents returning home. This was quite a bit below the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Horizon Health and Subacute Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Horizon Health and Subacute Center, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric indicates the percent of long-term residents who developed new or worsened pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are a solid indicator of a facility's nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Horizon Health and Subacute Center, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents who suffered from a fall which resulted in serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Horizon Health and Subacute Center, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections are associated with poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Horizon Health and Subacute Center, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. These drugs are sometimes used for treating a variety of medical conditions, including dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Horizon Health and Subacute Center, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are prescribed to residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Horizon Health and Subacute Center, 4.64% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who are exhibiting symptoms of depression. Some experts believe that this is a reliable measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Horizon Health and Subacute Center, 95.44% of Patients
This is the percent of patients who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Horizon Health and Subacute Center, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Horizon Health and Subacute Center, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percent of long-term stay patients who remained mobile levels. Many in the industry believe that mobility is critical to residents' physical and mental well-being.
In Horizon Health and Subacute Center, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Horizon Health and Subacute Center, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Horizon Health and Subacute Center, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Horizon Health and Subacute Center, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Fresno, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Fresno, California has 19 other nursing homes
- Saint Agnes Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.7 miles away1303 E Herndon Ave Fresno California 93710Voluntary non-profit - Church(559) 450-3000
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - FresnoAcute Care Hospitals 2.69 miles away7300 North Fresno St Fresno California 93720Voluntary non-profit - Private(559) 448-4500
- Clovis Community Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.05 miles away2755 Herndon Ave Clovis California 93611Voluntary non-profit - Private(559) 324-4000
- Valley Children's HospitalChildrens 4.89 miles away9300 Valley Childrens Place Madera California 93636Voluntary non-profit - Private(559) 353-5116
- Community Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.06 miles away2823 Fresno Street Fresno California 93721Voluntary non-profit - Private(559) 459-6000
- Fmc North Fresno Dialysis0.33 miles away6737 N. Willow Bldg C Fresno California 93710CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (559) 324-1070
- Davita Herndon Dialysis Center2.36 miles away560 E Herndon Ave, Ste 101 Fresno California 93720CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 48 (559) 432-5278
- Fmc Clovis3.8 miles away2585 Alluvial Ave Clovis California 93611Dialysis Stations: 25 (559) 324-8023
- Community Dialysis Center - Clovis4 miles away501 North Medical Center Dr East, Suite 1100 Clovis California 93611Dialysis Stations: 12 (559) 324-4030
- Palm Bluffs Dialysis Center4.01 miles away770 West Pinedale Ave Fresno California 93711CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (559) 438-8512
- San Joaquin Valley Dialysis4.26 miles away3636 North First #144 Fresno California 93726CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (559) 221-6311
- Ash Tree Dialysis4.41 miles away2666 North Grove Industrial Drive Suite 106 Fresno California 93727CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (559) 251-1919
- Fmc Fresno Airport East4.9 miles away1899 North Helm Ave Suite 101 Fresno California 93727Dialysis Stations: 24 (559) 452-1480