Holy Cross Health Center is a small non-profit nursing home located in Manchester, New Hampshire. This facility received an elite overall grade of A, making it one of the top three nursing homes in the city. Based on our assessment, this facility is really as good as it gets. As you can see below, this nursing home also performed well in our category scores. It is hard to find any major flaws in this place's profile.
Holy Cross Health Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
357 Island Pond Road,
Manchester NH 03109
58% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Church related
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Top Nursing Home in New Hampshire Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in New Hampshire Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in New Hampshire Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for our inspections rating. Inspection scores are based on several items found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that receive favorable grades in this category typically have few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these places should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. It doesn't appear that we were able to find information about this nursing home's deficiencies. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
This high end facility also excelled in the area of long-term care, where we gave it a score of A+. Very few facilities performed better in this category. When nursing homes receive this kind of grade in long-term care it is usually a good sign for patient care and indicates that the place is well-staffed with nurses aids. In addition to looking at the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home administered the vaccine to 100 percent of its residents, which is much higher than most nursing homes. Finally, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Holy Cross Health Center?
Adding to its impressive resume, this nursing home also excelled in our nursing category. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A- for that category. In computing our nursing scores, we factor in both nursing hours and the skill levels of those nurses. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can often be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Short-term Care Quality
The fourth area we graded is short-term care, where this facility was awarded a grade of B+. This rounded out a very impressive profile. Few facilities received a B+ or better in all four categories. In our short-term care assessment, we attempt to create a sound measure for rehabilitation services. In doing so, we analyze a facility's levels of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. However, according to the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we assessed the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Holy Cross Health Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Holy Cross Health Center, 6.17% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are routinely the result of patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Holy Cross Health Center, 5.16% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents that suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to major injuries are routinely the result of lower quality nursing care. Additional nurse staffing reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Holy Cross Health Center, 2.81% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic indicates the percentage of long-term stay residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. While more infections could reflect poorly on a facility's hygiene protocols, it is problematic to compare different nursing homes due to facilities having inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Holy Cross Health Center, 17.01% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who are administered antipsychotic drugs. Excessive reliance on these medications may mean a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior in situations where such drugs are not medically required. However, some facilities may need to rely on these medications due to an increased number of patients with Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Holy Cross Health Center, 16.61% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This gauges the percentage of long-term residents who were administered antianxiety drugs. These drugs are used to treat residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Holy Cross Health Center, 5.77% of Patients
This is the percent of patients showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Holy Cross Health Center, 95.49% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term stay patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Holy Cross Health Center, 18.58% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with ADL's could indicate the decline of a resident's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Holy Cross Health Center, 22.17% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients that were able to retain mobility.
In Holy Cross Health Center, 1.27 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Holy Cross Health Center, 22.17 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Scores for Manchester, NH
- Overall Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of A
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-plus
Looking for more options? Manchester, New Hampshire has 8 other nursing homes
- Elliot HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.27 miles away1 Elliot Way Manchester New Hampshire 03103Voluntary non-profit - Private(603) 669-5300
- Catholic Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.19 miles away100 Mcgregor Street Manchester New Hampshire 03102Voluntary non-profit - Private(603) 668-3545
- Parkland Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.23 miles away1 Parkland Drive Derry New Hampshire 03038Proprietary(603) 421-2100
- Southern Nh Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.3 miles away8 Prospect Street Nashua New Hampshire 03060Voluntary non-profit - Private(603) 577-2000
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.86 miles away172 Kinsley St Nashua New Hampshire 03060Voluntary non-profit - Other(603) 882-3000
- New Hampshire Hosp-Psych UnitPsychiatric 16.7 miles away36 Clinton Street Concord New Hampshire 03301Government - State(603) 271-5300
- Concord HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.26 miles away250 Pleasant St Concord New Hampshire 03301Voluntary non-profit - Private(603) 225-2711
- Davita Manchester Dialysis2.46 miles away903 Hanover Street Manchester New Hampshire 03104Dialysis Stations: 10 (603) 621-4903
- Manchester Kidney Center3.34 miles away1750 Elm Street Suite 100 Manchester New Hampshire 03103CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (603) 647-4042
- Bedford Dialysis Davita4.59 miles away15 Constitution Dr, Suite 1c Bedford New Hampshire 03110Dialysis Stations: 13 (603) 471-1904
- Davita Derry Dialysis6.12 miles away1 Action Blvd suite2 Londonderry New Hampshire 03053Dialysis Stations: 13 (603) 421-9724
- Fresenius Medical Care Londonderry6.12 miles away1f Common Drive Londonderry New Hampshire 03053Dialysis Stations: 13 (603) 434-4517
- Bio-Medical Applications of New Hampshire, Inc.14.03 miles away20 Cotton Road Suite 200 Nashua New Hampshire 03063Dialysis Stations: 21 (603) 577-4547
- Fresenius Medical Care Southern Nh Dialysis Center14.7 miles away586 Nashua St Unit #20 Milford New Hampshire 03055Dialysis Stations: 13 (603) 672-6678
- Davita Nashua Dialysis15.19 miles away38 Tyler Street Nashua New Hampshire 03061CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (603) 598-1665