Hillhaven is one of six facilities located in Hyattsville, Maryland. This facility was given an A- overall, which is an elite rating. This is really as good of a place as you'll find. As you will find below, this nursing home also performed well in our category grades. It's hard to poke holes in this facility's profile.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Please note our records indicate that Hillhaven has changed ownership recently and while our data on this page is up-to-date there is a chance that the quality of this facility may change under new management.
Get pricing and details on Hyattsville senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Top Nursing Home in Maryland Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Hyattsville, Maryland Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in Maryland Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Hyattsville, Maryland Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in Maryland Awards 2021
Best Nursing Home in Hyattsville, Maryland Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
One of the reasons this turned out to be a quality nursing home is that it received an impressive grade in inspections. Inspections ended up being its best category. In this area, we gave this nursing home an A. These inspection grades weigh several factors, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these issues by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. While this nursing home had some deficiencies on its inspection report, none of them were serious based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home also was dominant in the category of short-term care, where it received a grade of A-. Only a select group of facilities fared better in this area. In calculating these short-term care grades, we analyze the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. Our purpose is to create a scale for sizing up the rehabilitation services of nursing homes. It doesn't appear that this facility submitted registered nurse or physical therapist staffing data. The last item we looked at in this category is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We found that 5.6 percent of this nursing home's residents were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about Hillhaven?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility is also strong in the area of long-term care, where it received a score of B+. It outpaced most nursing homes in this area. When facilities receive a grade in this range in long-term care it typically means it's well-staffed and is a quality place to reside on a permanent basis. In addition to considering the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is significantly higher than the majority of nursing homes. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
In our last area, we awarded this nursing home a A for our nursing rating. This wrapped up a very strong profile. There are several factors within this area. Most of these data points relate to nurse staffing. This nursing home averages 0 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed certain nursing quality-based metrics in computing our nursing grades. These include minimizing residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We look at these areas as good indicators of the quality of nursing care being provided, since better care tends to reduce these problems.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Hillhaven Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Hillhaven, 12.71% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage caused by staying in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Hillhaven, 0% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who have experienced falls which resulted in severe injury. This is one of the statistics we use in calculating nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Hillhaven, 2.4% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections are associated with insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Hillhaven, 8.26% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are administered to patients for many conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias. Sadly, in limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Hillhaven, 4.35% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is a measure of the percent of long-term residents taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Hillhaven, 12.3% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who are demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Hillhaven, 97.83% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Hillhaven, 12.79% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living may indicate the erosion of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Hillhaven, 11.38% of Residents
This tells you the percentage of residents who maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility is usually a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Hillhaven, 0.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is critical to preserving the physical health of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Hillhaven, 11.38% of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Hillhaven, 3.9% of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Hillhaven, 63.58% of Resident
This datapoint measures the percentage of short-term patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many in the industry would argue this is a reasonable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Hyattsville, MD
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Hyattsville, Maryland has 5 other nursing homes
- Adventist Healthcare White Oak Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.4 miles away12100 Plum Orchard Drive Silver Spring Maryland 20904Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 891-5651
- Holy Cross HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.61 miles away1500 Forest Glen Road Silver Spring Maryland 20910Voluntary non-profit - Church(301) 754-7000
- University of Md Laurel Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.22 miles away7300 Van Dusen Road Laurel Maryland 20707Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 725-4300
- Doctors' Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.82 miles away8118 Good Luck Road Lanham Maryland 20706Proprietary(301) 552-8118
- Umd Prince George's Hospital CtrAcute Care Hospitals 7.23 miles away3001 Hospital Drive Hyattsville Maryland 20785Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 618-2000
- Medstar Washington Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.98 miles away110 Irving St Nw Washington District of Columbia 20010Voluntary non-profit - Other(202) 877-7000
- Walter Reed National Military Med CenAcute Care - Department of Defense 8.15 miles away8901 Rockville Pike Bethesda Maryland 20889Department of Defense(301) 295-4000
- Children's Hospital NmcChildrens 8.2 miles away111 Michigan Ave, Nw Washington District of Columbia 20010Voluntary non-profit - Private(202) 476-5000
- Fmc - Silver Spring1.93 miles away12120 Plum Orchard Rd Ste 140 Silver Spring Maryland 20904Dialysis Stations: 12 (301) 572-2484
- Bedell Dialysis, LLC1.93 miles away13875 Outlet Drive Silver Spring Maryland 20904Dialysis Stations: 18 (301) 890-1504
- Rai - Baltimore-Beltsville2.01 miles away10701 Baltimore Ave Beltsville Maryland 20705Dialysis Stations: 20 (301) 595-0263
- Cadia Dialysis Springbrook2.09 miles away12325 New Hampshire Avenue Silver Spring Maryland 20904Dialysis Stations: 11 (301) 244-3028
- Ara - Adelphi2.32 miles away1801 Metzerott Rd Hyattsville Maryland 20783Dialysis Stations: 12 (301) 434-1884
- Calverton Dialysis2.33 miles away4780 Corridor Place Ste C Beltsville Maryland 20705CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (301) 595-0231
- Takoma Park Dialysis3.72 miles away1502 University Blvd E Hyattsville Maryland 20783CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (301) 408-1202
- Renal Treatment Center - Wheaton4.76 miles awayWheaton Park Shopping Ctr 11941 Georgia Ave Silver Spring Maryland 20902CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (301) 949-9620