Hillhaven is one of six facilities located in Hyattsville, Maryland. This facility was given an A- overall, which is an elite rating. This is really as good of a place as you'll find. The best part of this nursing home's strong report card is its inspection reports. Inspection grades are discussed in the next section
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a great overall grade, this facility also received A+ health inspections in recent years. Its inspections were virtually flawless. Inspection scores take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can find more information about each of these factors by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Although this facility had a few deficiencies on its report, none were severe based on CMS' scale. A few relatively minor deficiencies are not necessarily the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
To complement its dominant achievements in other areas, we gave this facility a score of A for our short-term care rating. Short-term care grades are typically employed to measure a nursing home's rehabilitation services. To have highly rated rehabilitation services, facilities generally must provide higher levels of highly skilled nursing services. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists and other highly skilled individuals. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. However, according to the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final item we assessed in this area is the percentage of residents that who were able to eventually return home from the facility. We found that 6 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about Hillhaven?
In addition, this facility also received favorable nursing grades this year. In fact, we awarded them one of our better scores in that area, with a grade of B+. Our nursing grade focuses on the facility's level of nurse staffing. We weigh both the levels of training of the nurses and the quantity of hours spent with patients. This nursing home provides 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can many times be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Long-term Care Quality
The final area we graded was long-term care, in which this facility was given a grade of C. This actually was this facility's least impressive category. This is nevertheless not a poor grade. Long-term care grades are commonly used to judge a nursing home's performance as a traditional convalescent home, as opposed to focusing on the skilled nursing services offered by a skilled nursing facility. One of the factors we considered on top of nurse's aid hours is vaccines. Fortunately, this facility administered the pneumonia vaccination to 95.901634 percent of its residents. Finally, this facility was also able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Hillhaven Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Hillhaven, 10.35% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure measures the percentage of long-term care patients who suffer from new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We factor in this statistic in computing our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Hillhaven, 2.83% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients who have had a fall resulting in major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Hillhaven, 2.06% of Patients had UTIs
This metric is an indication of the percentage of long-term stay residents who experienced a UTI. Although more of these infections may reflect poorly on a facility's hygiene protocols, it is problematic to compare different facilities due to facilities having reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Hillhaven, 13.12% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint gauges the percentage of long-term stay residents taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may suggest a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Hillhaven, 14.71% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents prescribed antianxiety medications. These medications are given to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Hillhaven, 10.05% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Hillhaven, 92.62% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Hillhaven, 19.85% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Hillhaven, 30.15% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of residents that maintained mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
In Hillhaven, 0.99 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Hillhaven, 30.15 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Hillhaven, 8.9 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to measure the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Hillhaven, 73.77% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percent of short-term care residents who saw functional improvements.
Scores for Hyattsville, MD
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Hyattsville, Maryland has 5 other nursing homes
- Adventist Healthcare White Oak Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.4 miles away12100 Plum Orchard Drive Silver Spring Maryland 20904Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 891-5651
- Holy Cross HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.61 miles away1500 Forest Glen Road Silver Spring Maryland 20910Voluntary non-profit - Church(301) 754-7000
- University of Md Laurel Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.22 miles away7300 Van Dusen Road Laurel Maryland 20707Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 725-4300
- Doctors' Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.82 miles away8118 Good Luck Road Lanham Maryland 20706Proprietary(301) 552-8118
- Umd Prince George's Hospital CtrAcute Care Hospitals 7.23 miles away3001 Hospital Drive Hyattsville Maryland 20785Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 618-2000
- Medstar Washington Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.98 miles away110 Irving St Nw Washington District of Columbia 20010Voluntary non-profit - Other(202) 877-7000
- Walter Reed National Military Med CenAcute Care - Department of Defense 8.15 miles away8901 Rockville Pike Bethesda Maryland 20889Department of Defense(301) 295-4000
- Children's Hospital NmcChildrens 8.2 miles away111 Michigan Ave, Nw Washington District of Columbia 20010Voluntary non-profit - Private(202) 476-5000
- Fmc - Silver Spring1.93 miles away12120 Plum Orchard Rd Ste 140 Silver Spring Maryland 20904Dialysis Stations: 12 (301) 572-2484
- Bedell Dialysis, LLC1.93 miles away13875 Outlet Drive Silver Spring Maryland 20904Dialysis Stations: 18 (301) 890-1504
- Rai - Baltimore-Beltsville2.01 miles away10701 Baltimore Ave Beltsville Maryland 20705Dialysis Stations: 20 (301) 595-0263
- Cadia Dialysis Springbrook2.09 miles away12325 New Hampshire Avenue Silver Spring Maryland 20904Dialysis Stations: 11 (301) 244-3028
- Ara - Adelphi2.32 miles away1801 Metzerott Rd Hyattsville Maryland 20783Dialysis Stations: 12 (301) 434-1884
- Calverton Dialysis2.33 miles away4780 Corridor Place Ste C Beltsville Maryland 20705CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (301) 595-0231
- Takoma Park Dialysis3.72 miles away1502 University Blvd E Hyattsville Maryland 20783CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (301) 408-1202
- Renal Treatment Center - Wheaton4.76 miles awayWheaton Park Shopping Ctr 11941 Georgia Ave Silver Spring Maryland 20902CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (301) 949-9620