With over 20 facilities to choose from located in Salt Lake City, Utah, Highland Care Center is one of the seemingly endless list of options. This is an A rated facility, which is one of the best grades that we offer. You flat out can not do any better than this nursing home. If you look below, you can see this facility's category ratings, which are also quite good.
Highland Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
One of the reasons this turned out to be a great nursing home is that it received a strong short-term care score. This proved to be its best category. In that area, we awarded this nursing home an A. In our short-term care score, we endeavor to forge a sound barometer for rehabilitation. In this process, we look at the facility's offerings of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as occupational therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 6.2 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Adding to this facility's impressive resume, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A for our inspections rating. Inspection scores account for a host of factors included in a nursing home's inspection report. One key criteria we rely on is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with higher scores in this category usually have very few severe deficiencies. This particular nursing home received 6 deficiencies on its inspection report. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Highland Care Center?
Long-term Care Quality
Turning our third category, this facility received a top-shelf long-term care score. In fact, we gave it a grade of A in this category. If you are seeking services other than rehabilitation, you should take a close look at each nursing home's long-term care ratings. After considering the amount of care provided by nurses, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination record. This facility vaccinated 90.57592 percent of its patients against pneumonia. Although its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we had hoped, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
In our final category, we awarded this nursing home a A for its nursing grade. This completed a very favorable profile. When calculating our nursing ratings, we factor in both staffing levels and the levels of licensure of those nurses. This facility provided 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place the nation in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as having a policy of moving a resident more frequently.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Highland Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Highland Care Center, 6.04% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic gauges the percentage of long-term stay patients that suffered from pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are an barometer of the quality of nursing care a facility provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Highland Care Center, 3.56% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents who have had a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injuries are often caused by lower levels of patient supervision. Better nursing care minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Highland Care Center, 2.65% of Patients had UTIs
This figure tells you the percentage of long-term care patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's could be an indicator of poor nursing care. Nevertheless, this metric may be misleading for certain facilities due to different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Highland Care Center, 13.64% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are prescribed to patients for many conditions, such as cognitive disorders. Sadly, in some cases, increased usage of these drugs may mean a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Highland Care Center, 21.58% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of residents given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are prescribed to residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Highland Care Center, 10.85% of Patients
This is the percent of patients exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Highland Care Center, 83% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Highland Care Center, 14% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with ADL's could be a sign of deterioration of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Highland Care Center, 18.79% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents that retained mobility levels over time. Preserving mobility can be a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Highland Care Center, 0.9 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Highland Care Center, 18.79 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Highland Care Center, 10.55 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to measure the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Highland Care Center, 72.2% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term patients who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some experts would argue this is a reliable measure of rehabilitation services.
Scores for Salt Lake City, UT
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Salt Lake City, Utah has 25 other nursing homes
- St Mark's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.02 miles away1200 East 3900 South Salt Lake City Utah 84124Proprietary(801) 268-7700
- Intermountain Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.01 miles away5121 South Cottonwood Street Salt Lake City Utah 84107Voluntary non-profit - Private(801) 507-7000
- Salt Lake Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.42 miles away1050 East South Temple Salt Lake City Utah 84102Proprietary(801) 350-4111
- Primary Childrens HospitalChildrens 6.48 miles away100 North Mario Capecchi Drive Salt Lake City Utah 84113Voluntary non-profit - Private(801) 662-6212
- University of Utah Hospitals and ClinicsAcute Care Hospitals 6.53 miles away50 North Medical Drive Salt Lake City Utah 84132Government - State(801) 581-2121
- Alta View HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.96 miles away9660 South 1300 East Sandy Utah 84094Voluntary non-profit - Private(801) 501-2600
- Lds HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.27 miles away8th Avenue and C Street Salt Lake City Utah 84143Voluntary non-profit - Private(801) 408-1100
- Jordan Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.29 miles away3580 West 9000 South West Jordan Utah 84088Voluntary non-profit - Other(801) 561-8888
- Fresenius Kidney Care Wasatch2.6 miles away3702 South State Street, Suite 101 Salt Lake City Utah 84115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (801) 904-4407
- Intermountain Medical Center Dialysis Services2.85 miles away74 West Vine Street Salt Lake City Utah 84107CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (801) 507-9000
- West Valley Dialysis Clinic5.48 miles away3854 W 5400 S Salt Lake City Utah 84129CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (801) 969-6801
- Utah Dialysis Lab5.5 miles away1000 S Main St Ste 105 Salt Lake City Utah 84101Dialysis Stations: 19 (801) 408-1400
- Kolff Dialysis Center/Univ. Of Utah5.65 miles away423 Wakara Way Suite 200 Salt Lake City Utah 84108Dialysis Stations: 17 (801) 581-3981
- Oquirrh Artificial Kidney Center6.27 miles away5320 South 2700 West Salt Lake City Utah 84129CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (801) 417-9900
- Primary Children's Dialysis Center6.45 miles away81 North Mario Capecchi Dr Salt Lake City Utah 84113Dialysis Stations: 6 (801) 662-7600
- South Valley Dialysis Center6.49 miles away8750 S Sandy Pkwy Sandy Utah 84070Dialysis Stations: 17 (801) 233-8745