Heron's Key is a nursing home in Gig Harbor, Washington, a city with a total of 51,325 people. With an A overall grade, we ranked this facility in the top ten percentile of all nursing homes in the country. We can't find many bad things to say about this facility. Its scores are impeccable. If you scroll down, you will see this nursing home's category grades, which are also strong.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Gig Harbor senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Top Nursing Home in Washington Awards 2021
Best Nursing Home in Gig Harbor, Washington Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
On top of being a first rate facility overall, this nursing home also excelled in the category of nursing, where it received an A+. Few nursing homes fared better in this area. In determining our nursing scores, we factor in both staffing levels and the skill levels of those nurses. This nursing home provides 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well in terms of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
We also awarded this facility a score of A+ for its short-term care grade. In computing our short-term care grades, we analyze the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. The objective is to create a tool for comparing the rehabilitation services of various nursing homes. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last item we looked at in this area is the percentage of residents who ultimately were able to return home from the facility. We found that 6.5 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about Heron's Key?
Long-term Care Quality
In the third category we analyzed, this nursing home received quality marks in the area of long-term care. Consequently, it was given one of our most impressive grades in that area with a of A+. If you are looking for services other than short-term rehabilitation, you should take a close look at each facility's long-term care scores. On top of looking at the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to 93.10345 percent of its patients. This is a bit below what we anticipated but still a respectable figure. Finally, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Wrapping up its impressive profile, this nursing home also performed a high level in inspections. It received a nearly flawless government inspection report this year. As a result, it received one of our highest scores in that category with a B+. Inspection scores account for several factors found on a nursing home's inspection reports. One key criteria we consider is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with higher scores in this category generally have few severe deficiencies. This facility received 5 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none of the deficiencies were considered to be major deficiencies. This means that CMS did not consider any of these deficiencies to be an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Heron's Key Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Heron's Key, 7.46% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are routinely caused by residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Heron's Key, 2.9% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients who suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in major injuries are considered by many experts to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Falls which result in injury are routinely caused by lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Heron's Key, 2.29% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are routinely linked to a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. However, this statistic can be skewed for some nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Heron's Key, 13.89% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents that were administered antipsychotic drugs. Increased usage of these drugs may indicate a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior in situations where such medications are not medically indicated. Nevertheless, some facilities may need to rely on these drugs due to having more residents suffering from dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Heron's Key, 12.61% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of residents given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are given to residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Heron's Key, 13.28% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who are exhibiting symptoms of depression. Some experts argue this is a reliable measure of patient quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Heron's Key, 92.89% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Heron's Key, 14.67% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and continence. Some argue this is a reliable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Heron's Key, 18.81% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of residents that were able to retain mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a good sign for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Heron's Key, 18.81 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Heron's Key, 12.21 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Heron's Key, 75.22% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term stay residents that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of independence with activities of daily living generally correlates with better rehabilitation.
- St Anthony HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.95 miles away11567 Canterwood Boulevard Nw Gig Harbor Washington 98332Voluntary non-profit - Church(253) 530-2050
- St Joseph Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.51 miles away1717 South J Street Tacoma Washington 98405Voluntary non-profit - Church(253) 627-4101
- St Francis Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.53 miles away34515 9th Avenue South Federal Way Washington 98003Voluntary non-profit - Church(253) 944-8100
- Highline Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.6 miles away16251 Sylvester Road Sw Seattle Washington 98166Voluntary non-profit - Private(206) 244-9970
- St Clare HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.96 miles away11315 Bridgeport Way S W Lakewood Washington 98499Voluntary non-profit - Church(253) 588-1711
- Harrison Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.66 miles away2520 Cherry Avenue Bremerton Washington 98310Voluntary non-profit - Private(360) 377-3911
- Multicare Auburn Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.35 miles away202 North Division Street Plaza One Auburn Washington 98001Voluntary non-profit - Private(253) 833-7711
- Madigan Amc (Ft Lewis)Acute Care - Department of Defense 17.71 miles away9040 Jackson Avenue Tacoma Washington 98431Department of Defense(253) 968-1110
- Renal Care Group Northwest, Inc.2.26 miles away4700 Point Fosdick Dr Nw Ste 101 Gig Harbor Washington 98335Dialysis Stations: 12 (253) 851-0330
- Tacoma Dialysis Center9.74 miles away3401 S 19th St Tacoma Washington 98405CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (253) 573-1600
- Renal Care Group Northwest, Inc.10.45 miles away1717 South J Street Tacoma Washington 98405Dialysis Stations: 20 (253) 627-1995
- Belfair Dialysis12.37 miles away23961 Ne State Route 3 Belfair Washington 98528Dialysis Stations: 5 (360) 275-0141
- Renal Care Group Northwest, Inc.12.55 miles away5825 Tacoma Mall Blvd Ste 103 Tacoma Washington 98409CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (253) 671-9937
- Olympic Peninsula Kc - South Kitsap12.76 miles away450 S Kitsap Blvd Bldg 1, Suite 178 Port Orchard Washington 98366Dialysis Stations: 11 (360) 895-7795
- Nkc Federal Way West Campus13.15 miles away501 South 336th St., Suite 110 Federal Way Washington 98003Dialysis Stations: 7 (253) 943-6312
- Total Renal Care, Inc13.31 miles away27320 Pacific Hwy S Federal Way Washington 98003Dialysis Stations: 12 (253) 529-7825