Heron's Key is a nursing home in Gig Harbor, Washington, a city with a total of 51,325 people. We gave this facility an overall score of A-, which is a very strong score. As a matter of fact, it turned out to be the number one rated nursing home in the city. We could not find many negative things to say about this nursing home. Its ratings are impeccable. The best aspect of this facility's impressive report card was its short-term care grade. We discuss short-term care in the next paragraph
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Top Nursing Home in Washington Awards 2021
Best Nursing Home in Gig Harbor, Washington Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
In addition to earning a great overall grade, this nursing home also received an A+ short-term care grade. In determining our short-term care grades, we assess the nursing home's levels of skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other highly trained professionals. This rating is considered to be a useful measure of the nursing home's rehabilitation services. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. However, based on the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last item we assessed in this category is the percentage of residents who ultimately were able to return home from the nursing home. We found that 6.5 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
One of the other reasons we graded this nursing home so highly is that it received a very impressive nursing rating. This proved to be its second best category grade. In that category, we awarded this facility an A. The nursing grade analyzes several subcategories, however, the primary one is the number of nurse hours spent with patients. This nursing home averages 0.6 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as by employing a protocol of moving patients even once per day.
Does this page answer your questions about Heron's Key?
This nursing home also earned top notch government inspections in recent years. We awarded them one of our better scores in that area, with an impressive grade of B+. Our inspection grades account for a host of factors found on a facility's inspection report. One key criteria we look at is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Places with higher scores in this category usually have few severe deficiencies. Fortunately, although this nursing home had some minor dings on its inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means that the inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A couple minor deficiencies aren't necessarily something to panic about.
Long-term Care Quality
The final category we looked at is long-term care, in which this facility was given a B-. While this turned out to be its least impressive category score, this is nevertheless not a bad grade. Our long-term care grades are more meaningful for patients needing more conventional assistance associated with personal care. One of the statistics we considered after nursing hours was vaccines. Fortunately, this facility administered the pneumonia vaccine to 97.61905 percent of its residents. This nursing home keeps its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Heron's Key Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Heron's Key, 7.09% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are routinely the result of patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care minimizes the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Heron's Key, 2.86% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients that had a fall resulting in severe injury. This is one of the statistics we use in determining nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Heron's Key, 2.28% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. These infections could be linked to inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Heron's Key, 13.8% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many patients, it is important to ensure these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Heron's Key, 12.29% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients prescribed antianxiety medications. These drugs are generally given to residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Heron's Key, 13.74% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term patients showing signs of depression. Some believe that this is a reasonable measure of patient quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Heron's Key, 93.71% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for seniors, making these vaccines vital to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Heron's Key, 13.94% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of residents that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Heron's Key, 21.78% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of residents that were able to retain mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a good sign for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Heron's Key, 21.78 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Heron's Key, 10.98 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Heron's Key, 74.42% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term stay residents that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of independence with activities of daily living generally correlates with better rehabilitation.
- St Anthony HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.95 miles away11567 Canterwood Boulevard Nw Gig Harbor Washington 98332Voluntary non-profit - Church(253) 530-2050
- St Joseph Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.51 miles away1717 South J Street Tacoma Washington 98405Voluntary non-profit - Church(253) 627-4101
- St Francis Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.53 miles away34515 9th Avenue South Federal Way Washington 98003Voluntary non-profit - Church(253) 944-8100
- Highline Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.6 miles away16251 Sylvester Road Sw Seattle Washington 98166Voluntary non-profit - Private(206) 244-9970
- St Clare HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.96 miles away11315 Bridgeport Way S W Lakewood Washington 98499Voluntary non-profit - Church(253) 588-1711
- Harrison Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.66 miles away2520 Cherry Avenue Bremerton Washington 98310Voluntary non-profit - Private(360) 377-3911
- Multicare Auburn Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.35 miles away202 North Division Street Plaza One Auburn Washington 98001Voluntary non-profit - Private(253) 833-7711
- Madigan Amc (Ft Lewis)Acute Care - Department of Defense 17.71 miles away9040 Jackson Avenue Tacoma Washington 98431Department of Defense(253) 968-1110
- Renal Care Group Northwest, Inc.2.26 miles away4700 Point Fosdick Dr Nw Ste 101 Gig Harbor Washington 98335Dialysis Stations: 12 (253) 851-0330
- Tacoma Dialysis Center9.74 miles away3401 S 19th St Tacoma Washington 98405CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (253) 573-1600
- Renal Care Group Northwest, Inc.10.45 miles away1717 South J Street Tacoma Washington 98405Dialysis Stations: 20 (253) 627-1995
- Belfair Dialysis12.37 miles away23961 Ne State Route 3 Belfair Washington 98528Dialysis Stations: 5 (360) 275-0141
- Renal Care Group Northwest, Inc.12.55 miles away5825 Tacoma Mall Blvd Ste 103 Tacoma Washington 98409CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (253) 671-9937
- Olympic Peninsula Kc - South Kitsap12.76 miles away450 S Kitsap Blvd Bldg 1, Suite 178 Port Orchard Washington 98366Dialysis Stations: 11 (360) 895-7795
- Nkc Federal Way West Campus13.15 miles away501 South 336th St., Suite 110 Federal Way Washington 98003Dialysis Stations: 7 (253) 943-6312
- Total Renal Care, Inc13.31 miles away27320 Pacific Hwy S Federal Way Washington 98003Dialysis Stations: 12 (253) 529-7825