Herman Health Care Center is located in San Jose, California, which is among the largest cities in the nation. This nursing home received a strong grade of B+ overall. We found this nursing home to be better than the majority of the facilities in San Jose, which has a city grade of B. Even in a city offering 19 nursing homes, this facility caught our attention as a first-rate choice. We were also pleased to find that this place did not have any poor grades in any of the major categories. More information about its category grades is available below.
Herman Health Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
Registered Staff Hours
One of the reasons this place received a great overall grade is that it received a very impressive nursing grade. In that area, we awarded this nursing home an A-. There are a variety of criteria within this category. Most of the datapoints are tied to the quantity of nurse staffing. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can frequently be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
This nursing home also performed well in our inspection category, which is based on the facility's recent government inspections. In fact, we gave it an A- for that category. Perhaps the most important factor we consider in calculating our inspection grades is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a facility's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes with higher scores in this category typically avoided the most severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. Fortunately, although this facility had a few minor dings on its government inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you that the government inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. We should note that deficiency-free inspections are rare in the industry.
Does this page answer your questions about Herman Health Care Center?
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to an additional strength for this nursing home, we awarded them one of our better grades in our long-term care category as well, with a grade of B+. Facilities that excel in this category tend to provide patients with more supervision and stay on top of routine medical care. In addition to considering the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its patients, which is what we like to see. Pneumonia can be a life threatening illness for nursing home residents so we prefer when a nursing home does not take any chances. Lastly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Short-term Care Quality
The next category we assessed is short-term care. This nursing home was given a strong short-term care score this year, with a C. Even though this isn't nearly as good as a few of its other scores, this is still a decent rating in this category. Short-term care ratings are based in part on the nursing home's quantity of skilled nursing services. This includes a vast scope of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. It does not look like this nursing home submitted information on registered nurse or physical therapist staffing. The last datapoint we assessed in this area is the number of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We discovered that just 4.3 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home, which is actually below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Herman Health Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Herman Health Care Center, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We bake this statistic into our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Herman Health Care Center, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients who sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injury are often the result of lower quality nursing care. Better nursing care can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Herman Health Care Center, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes linked to insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Herman Health Care Center, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric is an indication of the percentage of long-term care patients taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may indicate a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Herman Health Care Center, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents given antianxiety drugs. These medications are prescribed to patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Herman Health Care Center, 4.64% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients demonstrating symptoms of depression. Increased rates of depression could be a sign a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Herman Health Care Center, 95.44% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Herman Health Care Center, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Herman Health Care Center, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percent of long-term patients that maintained mobility. Some believe that mobility is important for patients well-being.
In Herman Health Care Center, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Minimizing hospitalizations is key to the physical health of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Herman Health Care Center, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between staying out of the hospital and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Herman Health Care Center, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Herman Health Care Center, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of short-term care patients that saw functional improvements.
Scores for San Jose, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? San Jose, California has 18 other nursing homes
- Santa Clara Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.83 miles away751 South Bascom Avenue San Jose California 95128Government - Local(408) 885-5000
- Good Samaritan HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.36 miles away2425 Samaritan Drive San Jose California 95124Proprietary(408) 559-2011
- O'connor HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.75 miles away2105 Forest Avenue San Jose California 95128Voluntary non-profit - Private(408) 947-2500
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital-San JoseAcute Care Hospitals 6.17 miles away250 Hospital Parkway San Jose California 95119Voluntary non-profit - Private(408) 972-7000
- Regional Medical Center of San JoseAcute Care Hospitals 6.21 miles away225 N Jackson Avenue San Jose California 95116Government - Federal(408) 259-5000
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital-Santa ClaraAcute Care Hospitals 6.49 miles away700 Lawrence Expressway Santa Clara California 95051Voluntary non-profit - Private(408) 236-6400
- Kaiser Permanente Psychiatric Health Facility-SantPsychiatric 6.8 miles away3840 Homestead Road Santa Clara California 95051Proprietary(408) 851-4850
- El Camino HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.59 miles away2500 Grant Road Mountain View California 94040Government - Hospital District or Authority(650) 940-7000
- Wellbound of San Jose LLC1.31 miles away1525 Meridian Avenue Suite 101 San Jose California 95125Dialysis Stations: 4 (408) 269-3600
- Satellite Healthcare Blossom Valley2.63 miles away1450 Kooser Road San Jose California 95118Dialysis Stations: 25 (408) 440-3260
- Satellite Healthcare San Jose2.68 miles away888 South Bascom Avenue San Jose California 95128CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (408) 855-6900
- Santa Clara Valley Renal Care Center2.98 miles away2220 Moorpark Avenue San Jose California 95128CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (408) 885-5730
- Fmc Los Gatos3.19 miles away14651 South Bascom Suite 100 Los Gatos California 95032CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (408) 358-3791
- Cornerhouse Dialysis Center3.67 miles away2005 Naglee Avenue San Jose California 95128Dialysis Stations: 16 (408) 998-0183
- Los Gatos Dialysis Center3.75 miles away14251 Winchester Blvd Suite 100 Los Gatos California 95032Dialysis Stations: 16 (408) 370-6756
- Tully Dialysis Center4.15 miles away1290 Tully Rd Suite 80 San Jose California 95122CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (408) 993-8959