Herman Health Care Center is located in San Jose, California, which is among the largest cities in the nation. We gave this nursing home a B overall, which is a solid grade. We were equally impressed that San Jose received a B+ city grade, making this a great place to find a nursing home. This facility definitely has plenty working in its favor. This facility's strong profile was highlighted by its inspection score, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Herman Health Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on San Jose senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A- for our inspections rating. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in determining these inspection scores. One of those factors is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of these deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some of these can be relatively insignificant. Although this nursing home had some deficiencies on its report, none of them were severe based on CMS' deficiency scale. The fact that none of the deficiencies were severe made us feel better about this inspection report.
This nursing home performed well in our nursing category. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A- for that category, which is one of our highest scores. Our nursing rating looks at the facility's level of nurse staffing. We weigh both the levels of skill of those nurses as well as the number of hours spent with residents. This facility provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can frequently be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as having a system of moving residents even once per day.
Does this page answer your questions about Herman Health Care Center?
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to an additional strength for this nursing home, we gave them one of our more positive scores in our long-term care category as well, with a grade of B+. When nursing homes receive this type of grade in long-term care it is typically a good sign for resident care and indicates that the place is well-staffed with nurses and aids. In addition to assessing the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients. Vaccines are vital to keeping patients healthy. Lastly, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Short-term Care Quality
The last category we analyzed was short-term care, which proved to be this facility's weakest area. We awarded this nursing home a D in this category. Of course, this score hurt the nursing home's overall profile a bit. In computing our short-term care ratings, we quantify the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. The purpose is to formulate a tool for comparing the rehabilitation services of various facilities. In this facility's case, it looks like it offers fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than a typical facility. Lastly, we considered the number of residents that ultimately returned home from this facility. This nursing home didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 4.3 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home. This figure was well off the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Herman Health Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Herman Health Care Center, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are often the result of patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care limits the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Herman Health Care Center, 1.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents that have had a major fall. Falls resulting in major injury are considered to be a barometer of nursing care . Falls are often the result of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Herman Health Care Center, 1.34% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of patients that have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many experts to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often caused by lower quality nursing care. Nevertheless, this datapoint may be misleading for some nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Herman Health Care Center, 10.3% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many residents, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used appropriately. In some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Herman Health Care Center, 13.84% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure gauges the percent of long-term patients receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Herman Health Care Center, 5.83% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Herman Health Care Center, 95.65% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Herman Health Care Center, 8.26% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Herman Health Care Center, 10.41% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care patients who remained mobile levels.
In Herman Health Care Center, 1.78 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Herman Health Care Center, 10.41 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Herman Health Care Center, 11.34 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Herman Health Care Center, 79.12% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for San Jose, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? San Jose, California has 6 other nursing homes
- Santa Clara Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.83 miles away751 South Bascom Avenue San Jose California 95128Government - Local(408) 885-5000
- Good Samaritan HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.36 miles away2425 Samaritan Drive San Jose California 95124Proprietary(408) 559-2011
- O'connor HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.75 miles away2105 Forest Avenue San Jose California 95128Voluntary non-profit - Private(408) 947-2500
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital-San JoseAcute Care Hospitals 6.17 miles away250 Hospital Parkway San Jose California 95119Voluntary non-profit - Private(408) 972-7000
- Regional Medical Center of San JoseAcute Care Hospitals 6.21 miles away225 N Jackson Avenue San Jose California 95116Government - Federal(408) 259-5000
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital-Santa ClaraAcute Care Hospitals 6.49 miles away700 Lawrence Expressway Santa Clara California 95051Voluntary non-profit - Private(408) 236-6400
- Kaiser Permanente Psychiatric Health Facility-SantPsychiatric 6.8 miles away3840 Homestead Road Santa Clara California 95051Proprietary(408) 851-4850
- El Camino HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.59 miles away2500 Grant Road Mountain View California 94040Government - Hospital District or Authority(650) 940-7000
- Wellbound of San Jose LLC1.31 miles away1525 Meridian Avenue Suite 101 San Jose California 95125Dialysis Stations: 4 (408) 269-3600
- Satellite Healthcare Blossom Valley2.63 miles away1450 Kooser Road San Jose California 95118Dialysis Stations: 25 (408) 440-3260
- Satellite Healthcare San Jose2.68 miles away888 South Bascom Avenue San Jose California 95128CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (408) 855-6900
- Santa Clara Valley Renal Care Center2.98 miles away2220 Moorpark Avenue San Jose California 95128CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (408) 885-5730
- Fmc Los Gatos3.19 miles away14651 South Bascom Suite 100 Los Gatos California 95032CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (408) 358-3791
- Cornerhouse Dialysis Center3.67 miles away2005 Naglee Avenue San Jose California 95128Dialysis Stations: 16 (408) 998-0183
- Los Gatos Dialysis Center3.75 miles away14251 Winchester Blvd Suite 100 Los Gatos California 95032Dialysis Stations: 16 (408) 370-6756
- Tully Dialysis Center4.15 miles away1290 Tully Rd Suite 80 San Jose California 95122CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (408) 993-8959