Heritage Park of Katy Nursing and Rehabilitation is an average-sized nursing home located in Katy, Texas. This nursing home received an overall rating of F. Although the city grade in Katy which is also just a D, you still should be able to do better. More information on this facility's category grades is available below. Its best category was inspections, which is discussed in the next paragraph.
Heritage Park of Katy Nursing and Rehabilitation
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
6001 George Bush Dr,
Katy TX 77493
66.61% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
While this place's overall grade was as bad as it gets, it actually didn't perform terribly in the area of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a B- for that category, which is one of our better scores. These inspection grades weigh several factors, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can find more information about each of these issues by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. While this place had a few deficiencies on its government inspection report, none were major deficiencies based on CMS' scale. A couple minor deficiencies are not necessarily the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to the category of long-term care, this nursing home was awarded just a D in that area. As it turns out, this wound up being one of its better features. For long-term care residents, the primary objective is to keep patients as healthy and safe as possible. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate residents. On top of looking at the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. Thankfully, this facility gave the vaccine to 98.25175 percent of its residents, which is a very solid datapoint. Lastly, we looked at the nursing home's number of hospitalizations. Here we found that this nursing home had 2.2 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. Unfortunately, this figure is far less favorable than its vaccination record.
Does this page answer your questions about Heritage Park of Katy Nursing and Rehabilitation?
Short-term Care Quality
Another concern was the F this facility received in the area of short-term care. In the area of short-term care, we seek to qualify indicators of a nursing home's rehabilitation services. We assess the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses and various therapists. Based on its poor grade in this category, we were not shocked to find that this nursing home offered significantly fewer registered nurse hours per patient than most other facilities. Finally, we assessed the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. This definitely was not a strength for this facility. We found that just 36.3 percent of this facility's residents returned home. At most facilities, around half of their patients are able to return home so this is well below average.
The last category we graded is nursing. This facility received a poor grade of F in this area. Our nursing grade is based on quite a few components, but the main consideration is the level of nurse hours per patient per week. We do not think quantity of care was the reason for this facility's poor nursing rating. With 3.9 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis, this facility actually surpassed the national average. While it fared well in terms of nursing hours, this facility received poor scores in the quality-based measures we looked at in computing our nursing grades. We looked at the percentage of patients sustaining major falls and pressure ulcers. This nursing home was at approximately 1.5 times the national average in both of these data points.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Heritage Park of Katy Nursing and Rehabilitation Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Heritage Park of Katy Nursing and Rehabilitation, 7.96% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often the result of residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Heritage Park of Katy Nursing and Rehabilitation, 3.3% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients that suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to severe injuries are often the result of lower quality nursing care. Better nursing protocols can reduce the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Heritage Park of Katy Nursing and Rehabilitation, 1.63% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many experts to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often caused by worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this statistic could be skewed for certain facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Heritage Park of Katy Nursing and Rehabilitation, 11.7% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are given to patients for a variety of conditions, such as cognitive disorders. Unfortunately, in some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Heritage Park of Katy Nursing and Rehabilitation, 22.57% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure measures the percent of long-term patients who were given antianxiety medication. These drugs are typically prescribed to residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Heritage Park of Katy Nursing and Rehabilitation, 4.7% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who are exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Heritage Park of Katy Nursing and Rehabilitation, 95.06% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Heritage Park of Katy Nursing and Rehabilitation, 17.37% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with ADL's may be a sign of the deterioration of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Heritage Park of Katy Nursing and Rehabilitation, 17.98% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents that maintained mobility.
In Heritage Park of Katy Nursing and Rehabilitation, 1.58 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Heritage Park of Katy Nursing and Rehabilitation, 17.98 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Heritage Park of Katy Nursing and Rehabilitation, 11.91 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the quality of rehabilitation.
Scores for Katy, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of D
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Katy, Texas has 4 other nursing homes
- Memorial Hermann Katy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.52 miles away23900 Katy Freeway Katy Texas 77494Voluntary non-profit - Private(281) 392-1111
- Westpark Springs LLCPsychiatric 7.71 miles away6902 S Peek Road Richmond Texas 77407Voluntary non-profit - Other(832) 535-2770
- Houston Methodist West HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.85 miles away18500 Katy Freeway Houston Texas 77094Voluntary non-profit - Private(832) 522-1000
- Hca Houston Healthcare WestAcute Care Hospitals 14.62 miles away12141 Richmond Ave Houston Texas 77082Proprietary(281) 588-8080
- Oakbend Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.96 miles away1705 Jackson St Richmond Texas 77469Government - Hospital District or Authority(281) 341-3000
- Memorial Hermann Memorial City Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.09 miles away921 Gessner Houston Texas 77024Voluntary non-profit - Private(713) 242-3000
- Memorial Hermann Sugar Land HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.61 miles away17500 W Grand Parkway South Sugar Land Texas 77479Voluntary non-profit - Private(281) 725-5000
- St Luke's Sugar Land HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.74 miles away1317 Lake Pointe Parkway Sugar Land Texas 77478Voluntary non-profit - Private(281) 637-7000
- Pin Oak Dialysis2.6 miles away24968 Katy Ranch Rd Unit 500 Katy Texas 77494Dialysis Stations: 20 (281) 574-4387
- Katy Dialysis Center3.2 miles away403 W. Grand Parkway South Suite T Katy Texas 77494CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (281) 392-6063
- Fresenius Medical Care Katy4.79 miles away21755 Provincial Blvd Katy Texas 77450Dialysis Stations: 25 (281) 492-3401
- Katy Cinco Ranch Dialysis4.82 miles away1265 Rock Canyon Road Katy Texas 77450Dialysis Stations: 12 (281) 392-1616
- Dunes Dialysis, LLC4.88 miles away2922 N Mason Rd. Suite 100 Katy Texas 77449Dialysis Stations: 20 (281) 579-9057
- Horizon Dialysis7.43 miles away2222 Greenhouse Rd Houston Texas 77084Dialysis Stations: 16 (281) 829-5941
- West Oaks Dialysis Center11.31 miles away14800 Westheimer Road Suite A Houston Texas 77082Dialysis Stations: 12 (281) 752-5469
- Davita Barker Cypress Dialysis11.47 miles away18003 Longenbaugh Dr Cypress Texas 77433Dialysis Stations: 24 (281) 856-6198