Heritage Gardens Rehabilitation and Healthcare is one of five facilities located in Carrollton, Texas. Sporting an overall score of B-, this is likely a decent nursing home. At the end of the day, this facility would be a solid choice for most people. One of the best aspects of this nursing home's report card is its stellar inspection reports, which we will address in the next section.
Heritage Gardens Rehabilitation and Healthcare
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Lymphedema Care
Registered Staff Hours
We want to point out that this facility outperformed its overall score in the area of inspections. In fact, it received an excellent inspection report this year. As a result, we gave it one of our highest grades in this area with an A. These inspection ratings take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these issues by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. While this place had a few minor dings on its inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those labeled as categories G through L. This means the inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. The fact that none of the deficiencies were severe leaves us less concerned with this inspection report.
Long-term Care Quality
Another one of this facility's more favorable category grades came in the area of long-term care. In that category, we awarded this nursing home a B. When facilities receive this type of grade in long-term care it is a good sign for resident care and indicates that the place is well-staffed with nurses aids. After considering the volume of nursing care, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination record. This nursing home vaccinated 98.9418 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which is an impressive figure. Pneumonia tragically can be a life or death condition for nursing home residents so we prefer when a nursing home doesn't take any chances. Finally, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Heritage Gardens Rehabilitation and Healthcare?
The next highest grade we gave this nursing home in any area came in the category of nursing, where we gave it a grade of C. We looked at the licensure of nurses employed by the nursing home, in addition to the quantity of time the nurses spent with patients, in determining our grade in this category. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis. This figure is significantly below the national average. Finally, nursing scores also consider quality-based metrics, such as avoiding major falls. Despite not having the highest total nursing hours, this facility actually performed admirably in the area of preventing major falls. This is often a reliable indicator that a place has sufficient quality controls in place. Many falls could be avoided if a facility supplies enough nurses aids to assist its patients.
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we rated was short-term care, was this facility's weakest area. We awarded this nursing home a D in that category. This really is one of just a few weak points on a strong profile. In the area of short-term care, we seek to qualify measures of a nursing home's rehabilitation services. We analyze the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as the ones performed by registered nurses and physical, occupational and other therapists. Unfortunately, this nursing home was below average in terms of its quantity of physical therapy and registered nurse hours provided to its residents based on the measures we assessed. Lastly, we assessed the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that just 0 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Heritage Gardens Rehabilitation and Healthcare Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Heritage Gardens Rehabilitation and Healthcare, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by remaining in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Heritage Gardens Rehabilitation and Healthcare, 3.33% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients who have had a fall which resulted in major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Heritage Gardens Rehabilitation and Healthcare, 1.51% of Patients had UTIs
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term stay residents which have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's could be an indicator of worse hygiene protocols. However, this metric could also be skewed for some facilities due to different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Heritage Gardens Rehabilitation and Healthcare, 11.48% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are given to residents for a variety of medical conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias. Tragically, in limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Heritage Gardens Rehabilitation and Healthcare, 22.56% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric gauges the percent of long-term residents which were prescribed antianxiety medication. These medications are generally prescribed to residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Heritage Gardens Rehabilitation and Healthcare, 4.81% of Patients
This is the percent of patients who are demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Heritage Gardens Rehabilitation and Healthcare, 94.64% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for seniors, making these types of vaccines vital to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Heritage Gardens Rehabilitation and Healthcare, 17.1% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and using the bathroom. Some experts believe this is a reasonable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Heritage Gardens Rehabilitation and Healthcare, 16.36% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percentage of long-term residents that maintained mobility. Some experts argue that the ability to move around is important for residents' health.
In Heritage Gardens Rehabilitation and Healthcare, 1.67 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care. There is a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the overall quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Heritage Gardens Rehabilitation and Healthcare, 16.36 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Heritage Gardens Rehabilitation and Healthcare, 11.4 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Heritage Gardens Rehabilitation and Healthcare, 66.86% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term care patients that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of independence with ADL's often correlates with higher quality rehabilitation services.
Scores for Carrollton, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Carrollton, Texas has 4 other nursing homes
- First Texas Hospital Carrollton LLCAcute Care Hospitals 0.87 miles away1401 E Trinity Mills Road Carrollton Texas 75006Proprietary(972) 810-0700
- Dallas Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.61 miles away7 Medical Parkway Dallas Texas 75234Proprietary(972) 247-1000
- Methodist Hospital for SurgeryAcute Care Hospitals 4.62 miles away17101 Dallas Parkway Addison Texas 75001Proprietary(469) 248-3900
- Baylor Surgical Hospital at Las ColinasAcute Care Hospitals 5.03 miles away400 West Interstate 635 Suite 101 Irving Texas 75063Proprietary(972) 868-4000
- Medical City Las ColinasAcute Care Hospitals 5.85 miles away6800 N Macarthur Blvd Irving Texas 75039Proprietary(972) 969-2000
- Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital PlanoAcute Care Hospitals 6.33 miles away6200 W Parker Rd Plano Texas 75093Voluntary non-profit - Private(972) 981-8000
- Texas Health Center for Diagnostics & Surgery PlanAcute Care Hospitals 6.52 miles away6020 W Parker Road Plano Texas 75093Proprietary(972) 403-2700
- Baylor Regional Medical Center at PlanoAcute Care Hospitals 7.29 miles away4700 Alliance Boulevard Plano Texas 75093Voluntary non-profit - Other(469) 814-2000
- Carrolton Regional Dialysis Center1.58 miles away1128 North I-35 East Carrollton Texas 75006Dialysis Stations: 27 (972) 242-7648
- Carrollton Dialysis2.62 miles away1544 Valwood Parkway Suite 114 Carrollton Texas 75006Dialysis Stations: 12 (972) 243-7001
- Farmers Branch Dialysis Center3.83 miles away2280 Springlake Road Suite 110 Dallas Texas 75234CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (972) 488-1191
- Renal Center of Carrollton4.86 miles away4240 International Parkway Suite 158 Carrollton Texas 75007CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (972) 306-8410
- Renal Center of Lewisville5.17 miles away1600 Waters Ridge Drive Suite B Lewisville Texas 75057CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (972) 436-7211
- Liberty Dialysis of South Lewisville5.78 miles away101 E Southwest Pkwy Lewisville Texas 75067Dialysis Stations: 17 (469) 549-7424
- Davita Preston Dialysis6.85 miles away13340 Preston Rd Dallas Texas 75240Dialysis Stations: 17 (972) 980-4361
- Athios Dialysis, LLC7.13 miles away6101 Windhaven Pkwy Plano Texas 75093Dialysis Stations: 17 (972) 473-7891