With an address in Hempstead, New York, Hempstead Park Nursing Home is one of only three available facilities there. It looks like this facility is a relatively poor facility. A grade of this caliber suggests we found some red flags. Unfortunately, this grade isn't too far off the city grade for Hempstead, which is a C. Nevertheless, you still may be able to find a better option If you aren't deterred by this place's profile, you can continue reading to find out about its category grades. We discuss inspections in the next section.
Hempstead Park Nursing Home
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Oncology Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Lymphedema Care
Registered Staff Hours
While we were not very complementary of this nursing home's overall score, it actually received a very impressive inspection report this year. In fact, it received an excellent inspection report this year. As a result, it earned one of our best scores in that category with an A-. Inspection ratings take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can learn more about each of these items by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Fortunately, although this nursing home had a few minor dings on its inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means the government inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A few minor deficiencies are not necessarily the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
In addition, we also would like to note that this facility received strong long-term care marks this year. We gave them one of our more favorable scores in that category, with a B+. This proved to be the nursing home's second strongest score. In a long-term care environment, the nursing home's primary goal is to keep patients as healthy and safe as possible. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate patients. On top of considering the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home administered the vaccine to 89.77833 percent of its patients. This is a bit lower than we expected. While its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we had hoped, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Hempstead Park Nursing Home?
This facility ended up receiving rock bottom score in our nursing category. It received an F in this category. Our nursing grade includes several subcategories, most of which are associated with quantities of nurse staffing. With just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident each day, this nursing home's nurse staffing levels were significantly below the national average. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home fared well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these metrics to be reliable measures of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
The last area we assessed was short-term care. This nursing home received a bottom of the barrel grade of F in that category. In calculating these short-term care ratings, we look at the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. Our goal is to devise a tool for comparing the rehabilitation services of various facilities. Not surprisingly, we learned that this facility provides substantially less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the typical nursing home. Finally, we assessed the number of patients that eventually returned home from this facility. This nursing home didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 3.9 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home. This figure was quite a bit off the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Hempstead Park Nursing Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Hempstead Park Nursing Home, 9.58% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage caused by remaining in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Hempstead Park Nursing Home, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who had falls resulting in serious injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls may be a sign of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Hempstead Park Nursing Home, 2.1% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely caused by lower quality nursing care. Better hygiene protocols can minimize the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Note that this metric is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Hempstead Park Nursing Home, 11.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint is an indication of the percent of long-term patients taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used appropriately. In some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Hempstead Park Nursing Home, 13.3% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Hempstead Park Nursing Home, 13.2% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients exhibiting signs of depression. Some believe this is a reliable measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Hempstead Park Nursing Home, 91.26% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home residents, making these vaccines vital to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Hempstead Park Nursing Home, 14.75% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care residents that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and continence.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Hempstead Park Nursing Home, 17.32% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients who were able to retain mobility over time. Optimizing mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Hempstead Park Nursing Home, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Hempstead Park Nursing Home, 17.32 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term resident care. Avoiding the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Hempstead Park Nursing Home, 8.8 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. There is a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the overall quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Hempstead Park Nursing Home, 75.07% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term care residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- Mercy Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.23 miles away1000 North Village Avenue Rockville Centre New York 11570Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 705-2525
- Nassau University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.7 miles away2201 Hempstead Turnpike East Meadow New York 11554Government - Local(516) 572-0123
- Nyu Winthrop HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.1 miles away259 First Street Mineola New York 11501Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 663-0333
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.49 miles away4295 Hempstead Turnpike Bethpage New York 11714Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 579-6000
- North Shore University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.1 miles away300 Community Drive Manhasset New York 11030Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 562-0100
- Creedmoor Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 7.11 miles away80-45 Winchester Blvd Bldg B Queens Village New York 11427Government - State(718) 264-4000
- St Francis Hospital, RoslynAcute Care Hospitals 7.53 miles away100 Port Washington Boulevard Roslyn New York 11576Voluntary non-profit - Church(516) 562-6000
- Plainview HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.92 miles away888 Old Country Road Plainview New York 11803Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 719-3000
- Nassau University Medical Center0.76 miles awayA. Holly Paterson Extended Care Facility 875 Jerusalem Avenue Uniondale New York 11553CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (516) 572-1800
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Hempstead1.7 miles away615 Peninsula Boulevard Hempstead New York 11550CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (516) 483-6702
- Davita Garden City Dialysis Center1.91 miles away1100 Stewart Avenue Suite 2 Garden City New York 11530CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (516) 357-0004
- Nyu Langone Hospitals2.84 miles away200 Old Country Road The Dialysis Center Mineola New York 11501CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (516) 663-9012
- Main Street Dialysis Center, LLC3.7 miles away3 North Main Street Freeport New York 11520Dialysis Stations: 24 (516) 771-7112
- S. Nassau Communities Hosp.4.32 miles away1 Healthy Way Dialysis - Acute Unit Oceanside New York 11572Dialysis Stations: 3 (516) 632-3944
- Davita Freeport Kidney Center4.48 miles away351 South Main Street Freeport New York 11520CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (516) 623-1786
- True North Dialysis Center, LLC4.57 miles away1 Cisney Ave Floral Park New York 11001Dialysis Stations: 1 (516) 327-9502