Heartland Health Care Center - Greenville West is a large non-profit nursing home in Greenville, South Carolina. With an overall grade of A-, this nursing home is one of the higher-graded facilities we assessed. This grade is even higher than the city grade of B+ in Greenville, which is also an impressive grade. The best aspect of this facility's strong profile was its inspection rating. Inspection reports are discussed in the next paragraph
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Heartland Health Care Center - Greenville West
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Greenville senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Other
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Top Nursing Home in South Carolina Awards 2019
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a top notch facility overall, it also performed well in the area of inspections, where it earned an A. Few facilities performed better in this area. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in computing our inspection ratings. One critical factor is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of deficiencies is usually more important than the number of deficiencies, as some deficiencies can be relatively minor. We were not able to find deficiency counts for this nursing home. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
To add to its elite achievements in other areas, we gave this facility a score of A- for our long-term care rating. If you are looking for services other than rehabilitation, you should take a close look at long-term care ratings. Once we looked at the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we then looked at the facility's vaccination data. This nursing home vaccinated 79.10448 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which happens to be a bit below what we expected but still a respectable percentage. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Heartland Health Care Center - Greenville West?
Short-term Care Quality
Turning the page to our next category, this nursing home was given an excellent short-term care score. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A- in that area. In the area of short-term care, we endeavor to assess indicators of a nursing home's rehabilitation services. We assess the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as the ones performed by registered nurses and physical, occupational and other therapists. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last statistic we assessed in this category is the percentage of residents that ultimately were able to return home from the facility. We found that 5.7 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
In our final area, we awarded this facility a grade of A for our nursing rating. This completed a first-rate profile. We weighed the skill-level of nurses at the facility, as well as the number of hours the nurses spent with patients, in determining our rating in this area. This facility provided 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can typically be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Heartland Health Care Center - Greenville West Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Heartland Health Care Center - Greenville West, 9.93% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are routinely the result of residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols can minimize the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Heartland Health Care Center - Greenville West, 3.01% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents who have had a major fall. Falls leading to serious injuries are often caused by poor nursing care. More supervision can limit the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Heartland Health Care Center - Greenville West, 2.75% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of long-term patients who have sustained urinary tract infections. UTI's could be an indication of a facility with lower levels of hygiene. Nevertheless, this metric could also be misleading for some nursing homes due to different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Heartland Health Care Center - Greenville West, 14.27% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This gauges the percent of long-term residents taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to confirm these medications are being used appropriately. In limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may mean a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Heartland Health Care Center - Greenville West, 20.84% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint tells you the percentage of long-term patients receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Heartland Health Care Center - Greenville West, 2.84% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who are demonstrating signs of depression. Increased levels of depression could indicate a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Heartland Health Care Center - Greenville West, 88.7% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for seniors, making these types of vaccines indispensable.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Heartland Health Care Center - Greenville West, 13.84% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Heartland Health Care Center - Greenville West, 16.35% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients that were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility can be a great sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Heartland Health Care Center - Greenville West, 16.35 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Heartland Health Care Center - Greenville West, 12.8 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to gauge the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Heartland Health Care Center - Greenville West, 73.59% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term stay patients that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of performance with activities of daily living generally correlates with superior rehabilitation services.
Scores for Greenville, SC
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Greenville, South Carolina has 4 other nursing homes
- Prisma Health Greenville Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.58 miles away905 Verdae Blvd Suite 102 Greenville South Carolina 29605Voluntary non-profit - Private(864) 455-7000
- Prisma Health Baptist Easley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.43 miles away200 Fleetwood Drive Easley South Carolina 29640Voluntary non-profit - Private(864) 442-7606
- Prisma Health Greer Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.19 miles away830 South Buncombe Road Greer South Carolina 29650Voluntary non-profit - Private(864) 848-8200
- Pelham Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.43 miles away250 Westmoreland Road Greer South Carolina 29651Government - Hospital District or Authority(864) 560-6554
- Cannon Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.29 miles away123 W G Acker Drive Pickens South Carolina 29671Voluntary non-profit - Private(864) 878-4791
- Prisma Health Hillcrest HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.47 miles away741 South East Main Street Simpsonville South Carolina 29681Voluntary non-profit - Private(864) 454-6100
- Rcg Greenville Dialysis Center3.2 miles away297 Pete Hollis Blvd. Greenville South Carolina 29601CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (864) 232-9456
- Greenville Dialysis Clinic, LLC4.36 miles away220-a Howe Street Greenville South Carolina 29601Dialysis Stations: 20 (864) 271-2002
- Upstate Dialysis Center4.77 miles away308 Mills Ave Greenville South Carolina 29605CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 52 (864) 271-3700
- Dsi Travelers Rest Dialysis5.39 miles away36 S Main St Travelers Rest South Carolina 29690Dialysis Stations: 13 (864) 660-2050
- Dsi Greenville Renal Center5.53 miles away1004 Grove Road Greenville South Carolina 29605CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 37 (864) 242-0802
- Dsi Greenville, LLC6.35 miles away121 Commerce Blvd Easley South Carolina 29642Dialysis Stations: 4 (864) 859-7902
- Dsi Pleasantburg Dialysis7.62 miles away110 Chalmers Dr Ste C Greenville South Carolina 29605CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (864) 558-2365
- Dsi Home Dialysis Pleasantburg7.62 miles away110 Chalmers Road, Suite D Greenville South Carolina 29605Dialysis Stations: 3 (864) 558-2375