Heartland Health Care Center - Greenville West is a large non-profit nursing home in Greenville, South Carolina. With an overall grade of B+, this nursing home should work for most prospective patients. As a matter of fact, this turned out to be better than most of the nursing homes in Greenville. This nursing home's impressive profile was highlighted by its inspection grade, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
Heartland Health Care Center - Greenville West
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Other
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
One of the reasons this ended up being a great nursing home is it earned an A+ in our inspections category. This is as good as it gets in this critical area. Inspection grades weigh several factors, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these items by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. It does not look like we were able to find deficiency counts for this nursing home. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility received impressive marks in the area of short-term care as well. Consequently, we awarded it one of our most favorable scores in that category with a score of A-. With our short-term care grade, we attempt to forge a fair barometer for rehabilitation. In doing so, we analyze a facility's scope of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as occupational therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last item we considered in this category is the number of residents who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We found that 6 percent of this nursing home's patients were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about Heartland Health Care Center - Greenville West?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility is also strong in the category of long-term care, where it was given a grade of B+. It performed better than most nursing homes in this category. For long-term care residents, the facility's primary objective is to maintain residents' quality of life and keep them safe. After considering the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then looked at the facility's vaccination record. This nursing home vaccinated 89.90228 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which happens to be a few points below what we anticipated but still a respectable figure. Although its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we had hoped, at least this place was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
The last area we rated is nursing. We gave this nursing home a solid grade in this area, with a C. Even though this was not as dominant as several of this nursing home's other scores, it is nevertheless not a terrible score. Our nursing rating analyzes the facility's level of nurse staffing. We consider both the levels of licensure of those nurses as well as the number of hours spent with patients. This place provides only 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient per day. This is a somewhat alarming figure which is well below the national average. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this nursing home excelled in some of the quality measures we assessed. In fact, it scored well in terms of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Heartland Health Care Center - Greenville West Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Heartland Health Care Center - Greenville West, 9.68% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay residents which suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are a reliable measure of quality of care.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Heartland Health Care Center - Greenville West, 3.49% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term patients who suffered falls leading to major injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls may be a sign of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Heartland Health Care Center - Greenville West, 3.26% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often the result of lower quality nursing care. Better nursing care reduces the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Note that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Heartland Health Care Center - Greenville West, 14.92% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are administered to patients for a variety of conditions, including dementia. Unfortunately, in limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may suggest a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Heartland Health Care Center - Greenville West, 19.83% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic indicates the percentage of long-term stay residents that are administered antianxiety drugs. These drugs are given to patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Heartland Health Care Center - Greenville West, 2.74% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who are showing symptoms of depression. Some believe that this is a measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Heartland Health Care Center - Greenville West, 88.77% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Heartland Health Care Center - Greenville West, 14.72% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Heartland Health Care Center - Greenville West, 22.47% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents that were able to retain mobility.
In Heartland Health Care Center - Greenville West, 1.55 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. There is usually a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Heartland Health Care Center - Greenville West, 22.47 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Heartland Health Care Center - Greenville West, 12.88 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between keeping patients out of the emergency room and the overall quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Heartland Health Care Center - Greenville West, 72.67% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term care patients that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many in the industry would argue that this is a reasonable measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Greenville, SC
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Greenville, South Carolina has 11 other nursing homes
- Prisma Health Greenville Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.58 miles away905 Verdae Blvd Suite 102 Greenville South Carolina 29605Voluntary non-profit - Private(864) 455-7000
- Prisma Health Baptist Easley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.43 miles away200 Fleetwood Drive Easley South Carolina 29640Voluntary non-profit - Private(864) 442-7606
- Prisma Health Greer Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.19 miles away830 South Buncombe Road Greer South Carolina 29650Voluntary non-profit - Private(864) 848-8200
- Pelham Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.43 miles away250 Westmoreland Road Greer South Carolina 29651Government - Hospital District or Authority(864) 560-6554
- Cannon Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.29 miles away123 W G Acker Drive Pickens South Carolina 29671Voluntary non-profit - Private(864) 878-4791
- Prisma Health Hillcrest HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.47 miles away741 South East Main Street Simpsonville South Carolina 29681Voluntary non-profit - Private(864) 454-6100
- Rcg Greenville Dialysis Center3.2 miles away297 Pete Hollis Blvd. Greenville South Carolina 29601CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (864) 232-9456
- Greenville Dialysis Clinic, LLC4.36 miles away220-a Howe Street Greenville South Carolina 29601Dialysis Stations: 20 (864) 271-2002
- Upstate Dialysis Center4.77 miles away308 Mills Ave Greenville South Carolina 29605CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 52 (864) 271-3700
- Dsi Travelers Rest Dialysis5.39 miles away36 S Main St Travelers Rest South Carolina 29690Dialysis Stations: 13 (864) 660-2050
- Dsi Greenville Renal Center5.53 miles away1004 Grove Road Greenville South Carolina 29605CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 37 (864) 242-0802
- Dsi Greenville, LLC6.35 miles away121 Commerce Blvd Easley South Carolina 29642Dialysis Stations: 4 (864) 859-7902
- Dsi Pleasantburg Dialysis7.62 miles away110 Chalmers Dr Ste C Greenville South Carolina 29605CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (864) 558-2365
- Dsi Home Dialysis Pleasantburg7.62 miles away110 Chalmers Road, Suite D Greenville South Carolina 29605Dialysis Stations: 3 (864) 558-2375