Heartland Health Care Center - Greenville West is a large non-profit nursing home in Greenville, South Carolina. With an overall grade of B+, this nursing home should work for most prospective patients. We found this facility to be better than the majority of the nursing homes in Greenville, which has a city grade of B. This nursing home's strong profile was highlighted by its inspection rating, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
Heartland Health Care Center - Greenville West
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Other
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Top Nursing Home in South Carolina Awards 2019
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a great overall grade, this facility also received A+ health inspections in recent years. Its inspections were virtually flawless. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in determining these inspection ratings. One key factor is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of deficiencies is usually more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some can be relatively insignificant. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like we were able to find deficiency counts for this nursing home. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
We also gave this nursing home a score of A- for our short-term care score. Our short-term care ratings are vital for people looking for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically mandates additional skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes a broad spectrum of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. However, according to the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the percentage of patients who ultimately returned home from this nursing home. We found that 5.7 percent of this nursing home's patients were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about Heartland Health Care Center - Greenville West?
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to our next category, this nursing home also earned a grade of B for its long-term care rating. This is a well above average score in this area. Long-term care scores of this caliber generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine medical care. One of the datapoints we considered in addition to nursing hours is vaccinations. This facility provided the pneumonia vaccine to 86.3924 percent of its residents. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
The last category we analyzed was nursing. This nursing home was awarded a very good nursing grade in our assessment, with a grade of C. Even though this is not nearly as impressive as several of its other grades, this is nevertheless a decent score for this category. The nursing rating consists of many subcategories, however, the paramount one is the level of nurse hours spent with patients. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a relatively low total compared to most other facilities. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this place excelled in some of the quality-based metrics we assessed. In fact, it scored well in terms of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. Many consider these areas to be measures of the quality of nursing care. In many cases, the quality of nursing care is every bit as important as the quantity of hours of care provided.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Heartland Health Care Center - Greenville West Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Heartland Health Care Center - Greenville West, 9.53% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are often the result of residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Heartland Health Care Center - Greenville West, 3.47% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint indicates the percentage of long-term residents who have had a fall resulting in severe injury. This is one of the statistics we use in determining nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Heartland Health Care Center - Greenville West, 3.18% of Patients had UTIs
This gauges the percentage of long-term care patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. While more of these infections may reflect poorly on a facility's hygiene protocols, it can be difficult to compare different facilities due to differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Heartland Health Care Center - Greenville West, 15.14% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients which are administered antipsychotic drugs. Excessive reliance on these medications may suggest a facility is using these medications to subdue residents in scenarios where such drugs aren't medically indicated. Nevertheless, some facilities need to rely more on these drugs due to an increased number of patients with cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Heartland Health Care Center - Greenville West, 19.68% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of residents prescribed antianxiety medications. These medications are generally used to treat patients experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Heartland Health Care Center - Greenville West, 2.85% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who are exhibiting depressive symptoms. Higher levels of depression could reveal worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Heartland Health Care Center - Greenville West, 88.92% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home residents, making these vaccines critical to patient well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Heartland Health Care Center - Greenville West, 14.02% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Heartland Health Care Center - Greenville West, 20.24% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents that were able to retain mobility.
In Heartland Health Care Center - Greenville West, 1.69 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. There is usually a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Heartland Health Care Center - Greenville West, 20.24 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Heartland Health Care Center - Greenville West, 12.31 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between keeping patients out of the emergency room and the overall quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Heartland Health Care Center - Greenville West, 73.11% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term care patients that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many in the industry would argue that this is a reasonable measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Greenville, SC
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Greenville, South Carolina has 11 other nursing homes
- Prisma Health Greenville Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.58 miles away905 Verdae Blvd Suite 102 Greenville South Carolina 29605Voluntary non-profit - Private(864) 455-7000
- Prisma Health Baptist Easley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.43 miles away200 Fleetwood Drive Easley South Carolina 29640Voluntary non-profit - Private(864) 442-7606
- Prisma Health Greer Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.19 miles away830 South Buncombe Road Greer South Carolina 29650Voluntary non-profit - Private(864) 848-8200
- Pelham Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.43 miles away250 Westmoreland Road Greer South Carolina 29651Government - Hospital District or Authority(864) 560-6554
- Cannon Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.29 miles away123 W G Acker Drive Pickens South Carolina 29671Voluntary non-profit - Private(864) 878-4791
- Prisma Health Hillcrest HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.47 miles away741 South East Main Street Simpsonville South Carolina 29681Voluntary non-profit - Private(864) 454-6100
- Rcg Greenville Dialysis Center3.2 miles away297 Pete Hollis Blvd. Greenville South Carolina 29601CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (864) 232-9456
- Greenville Dialysis Clinic, LLC4.36 miles away220-a Howe Street Greenville South Carolina 29601Dialysis Stations: 20 (864) 271-2002
- Upstate Dialysis Center4.77 miles away308 Mills Ave Greenville South Carolina 29605CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 52 (864) 271-3700
- Dsi Travelers Rest Dialysis5.39 miles away36 S Main St Travelers Rest South Carolina 29690Dialysis Stations: 13 (864) 660-2050
- Dsi Greenville Renal Center5.53 miles away1004 Grove Road Greenville South Carolina 29605CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 37 (864) 242-0802
- Dsi Greenville, LLC6.35 miles away121 Commerce Blvd Easley South Carolina 29642Dialysis Stations: 4 (864) 859-7902
- Dsi Pleasantburg Dialysis7.62 miles away110 Chalmers Dr Ste C Greenville South Carolina 29605CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (864) 558-2365
- Dsi Home Dialysis Pleasantburg7.62 miles away110 Chalmers Road, Suite D Greenville South Carolina 29605Dialysis Stations: 3 (864) 558-2375