Healthcare Center of Orange County is an average-sized nursing home located in Buena Park, California. We gave this nursing home an overall grade of F. Based on our assessment, you would be better off to steer clear of this facility. We would not blame you if you're ready to stop reading and find another facility. However, if you want to learn more about this nursing home's category grades, we will discuss inspections in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Healthcare Center of Orange County
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Buena Park senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
While we graded this facility incredibly poorly overall, it received a fairly respectable inspection report this year. As a result, it received a decent grade in that category with a score of B-. Our inspection grades weigh several factors included in a nursing home's inspection reports. One key criteria we look at is the number and severity of deficiencies. Fortunately, although this nursing home had a few minor dings on its inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you that CMS didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A few minor deficiencies aren't necessarily the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
We were also pleasantly surprised to find that this nursing home earned a solid long-term care rating in our assessment. We gave it a B- in this category. Our long-term care grade is typically used to measure a nursing home's performance as a traditional convalescent home, as opposed to focusing more on the skilled nursing services offered by a skilled nursing facility. After considering the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination records. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is higher than the average nursing home. This facility was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.04 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Healthcare Center of Orange County?
We were surprised to find that this facility also excelled in the category of nursing. In fact, we awarded it an impressive grade of D for that category, which is one of our highest grades. Our nursing rating considers several datapoints. The most heavily weighted variable is the amount of time nurses spent with residents. This facility provided just 0.6 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Short-term Care Quality
The next category we looked at is short-term care. It received an abysmal F for this area, which is a very poor grade. In forming our short-term care scores, we analyze the facility's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. The objective is to devise a scale for sizing up the rehabilitation services of different nursing homes. As you might expect, we found that this facility provides significantly less registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than a typical nursing home. Finally, we assessed the number of patients that ultimately returned home from this nursing home. This facility didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 3.9 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Healthcare Center of Orange County Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Healthcare Center of Orange County, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are often the result of patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols can reduce the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Healthcare Center of Orange County, 1.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents that sustained a fall resulting in serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Healthcare Center of Orange County, 1.34% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are often associated with poor nursing care. Nevertheless, this metric may be skewed for some nursing homes due to different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Healthcare Center of Orange County, 10.3% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many residents, it is important to make sure these medications are being used only where medically required. In some situations, increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Healthcare Center of Orange County, 13.84% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are administered to patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Healthcare Center of Orange County, 5.83% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who are showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Healthcare Center of Orange County, 95.65% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Healthcare Center of Orange County, 8.26% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term residents that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and using the bathroom. Many believe this is a measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Healthcare Center of Orange County, 10.41% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay residents that remained mobile levels.
In Healthcare Center of Orange County, 1.78 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Healthcare Center of Orange County, 10.41 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Healthcare Center of Orange County, 11.34 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
- West Anaheim Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1 miles away3033 W Orange Avenue Anaheim California 92804Proprietary(714) 827-3000
- Los Alamitos Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.71 miles away3751 Katella Avenue Los Alamitos California 90720Proprietary(562) 799-3220
- Ahmc Anaheim Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.54 miles away1111 W La Palma Avenue Anaheim California 92801Voluntary non-profit - Private(714) 774-1450
- St Jude Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.38 miles away101 E Valencia Mesa Drive Fullerton California 92835Voluntary non-profit - Church(714) 992-3000
- Garden Grove Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.87 miles away12601 Garden Grove Blvd Garden Grove California 92843Proprietary(714) 537-5160
- University of California Irvine Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.62 miles away101 City Drive South Orange California 92868Government - Local(714) 456-6112
- Coast Plaza HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.69 miles away13100 Studerbaker Road Norwalk California 90650Proprietary(310) 356-0550
- Lakewood Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.22 miles away3700 E South St Lakewood California 90712Proprietary(562) 602-6751
- Fmc-Anaheim Dialysis0.61 miles away3150 W. Lincoln Avenue, Suite 100 Anaheim California 92801CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (714) 816-8725
- Davita-La Palma Dialysis1.54 miles away7880 Valley View St. Buena Park California 90620CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (714) 670-6791
- Fmc-North Orange County2.98 miles away511 N. Brookhurst Street, Suite 100 Anaheim California 92801CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (714) 778-0488
- Davita-Los Alamitos Dialysis3.34 miles away4141 Katella Avenue Los Alamitos California 90720CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (714) 952-0175
- Fmc-Orange County Home3.44 miles away1401 S Brookhurst Ste 108 Fullerton California 92833Dialysis Stations: 4 (714) 773-1407
- Davita-South Cerritos Dialysis3.55 miles away12191 226th Street Hawaiian Gardens California 90716Dialysis Stations: 16 (562) 421-6890
- Los Alamitos Hemodialysis Center3.69 miles away3810 Katella Avenue Los Alamitos California 90720CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (562) 598-9527
- Davita-Anaheim West Dialysis3.69 miles away1821 W. Lincoln Avenue Anaheim California 92801CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (714) 765-6510