Hayes Residence turns out to be one of a variety of options to decide among in Saint Paul, Minnesota. This nursing home turns out to be a well above average facility, with an overall grade of B+. This place definitely has plenty going for it. The best part of this nursing home's strong report card was its inspection reports. Inspection grades are discussed in the next paragraph
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
1620 Randolph Avenue,
Saint Paul MN 55105
83.75% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
On top of faring well overall, this facility earned nearly flawless government inspections. As a result, it earned one of our highest grades in that category with a grade of A+. These inspection grades take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these factors by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This place was hit with 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none were considered to be severe. This indicates that the government inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies to be an immediate risk to resident health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility was given an impressive long-term care score as well. We awarded it one of our higher scores in that area with a grade of B+. When facilities receive this type of grade in long-term care it is a good sign for resident care and indicates that the place is well-staffed with nurses aids. On top of considering the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to 97.637794 percent of its patients, which is far higher than the average nursing home. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Hayes Residence?
This facility received a very good nursing grade this year as well. It received one of our better scores in that category with a grade of B. We looked at the licensure of nurses working for the nursing home, as well as the number of hours those nurses spent with patients, in computing our grade in this area. This nursing home provides 1.9 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed certain nursing quality measures in computing our nursing grades. These include minimizing residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We look at these statistics as predictive indicators of the caliber of nursing care provided, since better care tends to reduce these problems.
Short-term Care Quality
The last category we graded is short-term care. This facility was awarded a strong short-term care grade this year, with a B-. Although this wasn't quite as good as many of its other scores, this is nevertheless a respectable score in this category. Our short-term care scores are believed to be more important for folks in need of rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation generally utilizes additional highly-skilled nursing services. This means not only nursing, but also physical and occupational therapy, as well as other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. However, according to the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last datapoint we looked at in this category is the number of patients that eventually returned home from the facility. We found that just 0 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home. This figure was below the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Hayes Residence Quality Metrics
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Hayes Residence, 4.36% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents who sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in major injury are often linked to poor nursing care. More supervision can reduce the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Hayes Residence, 2.82% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be a barometer of nursing care . UTI's are often the result of a facility with lower levels of hygiene. Nevertheless, this datapoint could also be misleading for some facilities due to varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Hayes Residence, 16.53% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients who were given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are prescribed to residents for a variety of conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias. Tragically, in some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Hayes Residence, 12.02% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Hayes Residence, 4.55% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who are exhibiting depressive symptoms. Higher levels of depression could indicate lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Hayes Residence, 94.12% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Hayes Residence, 13.22% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Hayes Residence, 19.91% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percentage of long-term care residents that maintained mobility.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Hayes Residence, 19.91 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
Scores for Saint Paul, MN
- Overall Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Saint Paul, Minnesota has 24 other nursing homes
- United HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.14 miles away333 North Smith Avenue Saint Paul Minnesota 55102Voluntary non-profit - Private(651) 241-8810
- Regions HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.06 miles away640 Jackson Street Saint Paul Minnesota 55101Voluntary non-profit - Private(651) 254-1616
- University of Minnesota Medical Center, FairviewAcute Care Hospitals 4.34 miles away2450 Riverside Avenue Minneapolis Minnesota 55454Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 273-3000
- Abbott Northwestern HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.88 miles away800 East 28th Street Minneapolis Minnesota 55407Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 863-4457
- Children's Hospitals & Clinics of MnChildrens 5 miles away2525 Chicago Avenue South Minneapolis Minnesota 55404Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 813-6112
- Hennepin County Medical Center 1Acute Care Hospitals 5.57 miles away701 Park Avenue Minneapolis Minnesota 55415Government - Local(612) 873-3629
- Fairview Southdale HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.31 miles away6401 France Avenue South Minneapolis Minnesota 55435Voluntary non-profit - Private(952) 924-5100
- Park Nicollet Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.46 miles away6500 Excelsior Blvd Minneapolis Minnesota 55426Voluntary non-profit - Private(952) 993-5000
- Highland Park Dialysis of Davita1.46 miles away1559 7th St W Saint Paul Minnesota 55102Dialysis Stations: 12 (651) 222-7139
- Fresenius Medical Care - Midway St Paul1.96 miles away1690 University Ave W Suite B - 100 Saint Paul Minnesota 55104Dialysis Stations: 22 (651) 917-0081
- Riverside Dialysis of Davita3.61 miles away1045 Westgate Drive Suite 90 Saint Paul Minnesota 55114Dialysis Stations: 20 (651) 645-1847
- Capitol Dialysis of Davita3.82 miles away555 Park St, Suite 230 Saint Paul Minnesota 55103Dialysis Stations: 16 (651) 221-3318
- Capitol Home Program of Davita - Hemo Unit3.82 miles away555 Park Street Suite 210, Hemo Unit Saint Paul Minnesota 55103Dialysis Stations: 4 (651) 221-0896
- St Paul Dialysis of Davita3.82 miles away555 Park St, Suite 180 Saint Paul Minnesota 55103CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (651) 291-8855
- U of Mn Med Ctr, Fairview - Dialysis4.27 miles away2450 Riverside Ave Kidney Center South Bldg Minneapolis Minnesota 55454Dialysis Stations: 11 (612) 365-3756
- West St Paul Dialysis of Davita4.61 miles away1555 Livingston Ave Saint Paul Minnesota 55118CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (651) 455-2995