Hartford Nursing & Rehabilitation Center is a large nursing home in Detroit, Michigan. We gave this nursing home an overall grade of B-. A score of this caliber requires some solid scores. Even in a city of 25 other nursing homes, this nursing home looks like a sound choice. The best part of this place's profile is its stellar inspection rating. Inspection grades are discussed in the next paragraph.
Hartford Nursing & Rehabilitation Center
Updated May 1, 2022 by Sara Levinsohn
6700 W Outer Dr,
Detroit MI 48235
89.21% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a respectable nursing home overall, this facility also excelled in the area of inspections, where it received an A. Few facilities performed better in this category. Inspection grades weigh several factors, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these issues by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This facility received 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe deficiencies. This means that the government inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies an immediate threat to resident safety or health. A couple relatively minor deficiencies aren't something to panic about.
Short-term Care Quality
Another one of this nursing home's better category grades was in the category of short-term care. In that area, we gave this nursing home a grade of B+. Our short-term care grade is generally used to assess a facility's performance with rehabilitation. In order to offer quality rehabilitation services, facilities generally must provide better levels of skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists and other highly skilled individuals. One of this nursing home's strengths is physical therapy hours. We found that it offers at least 50% more hours with physical therapists to its residents than most other facilities. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that it outperformed the vast majority of nursing homes in the country with 61.4 percent of its residents returning home. This is a significantly higher rate than most facilities.
Does this page answer your questions about Hartford Nursing & Rehabilitation Center?
The next highest grade we gave this nursing home in any area came in the category of nursing, where we gave it a grade of C. Nursing grades are mostly based on the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This facility provides an impressive 4 hours of nursing care per patient daily. While this place excelled in terms of quantity of nursing hours, it fell short in certain metrics that related to quality. This place's nursing rating was pulled down by its subpar performance in the area of minimizing pressure ulcers. We found that 15.1 percent of this nursing home's patients were suffering from pressure ulcers.
Long-term Care Quality
The last category we looked at is long-term care, which turned out to be this facility's least impressive area. We gave this facility a grade of D in this area. Sadly, this category pulled down the nursing home's overall grade a bit. Facilities that do not fare well in this category typically are not as well-staffed and are lagging in a few of the areas of routine personal care we assessed. This facility's vaccination data weren't as strong as its number of nursing hours per resident. This facility gave the pneumonia vaccine to just 76.28866 percent of its patients. We would love to see some improvement in this area in the future. To our surprise, this facility actually fared well at keeping its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had just 0.91 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. This is its best score in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Hartford Nursing & Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Hartford Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 8.94% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are often the result of patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care minimizes the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Hartford Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 2.87% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint tells you the percent of long-term care residents who have experienced falls resulting in serious injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries could be an indicator of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Hartford Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 2.36% of Patients had UTIs
This figure measures the percent of long-term stay patients who sustained UTI's. UTI's may be an indication of a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this datapoint can be misleading for certain nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Hartford Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 13.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These medications may be used for a variety of conditions, including cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Hartford Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 18.58% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are commonly given to residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Hartford Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 3.45% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients exhibiting symptoms of depression. Some experts argue that this is a reasonable measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Hartford Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 91.71% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for seniors, making these types of vaccines vital to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Hartford Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 12.37% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Hartford Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 19.59% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents that maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Hartford Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 1.35 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. There is generally a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Hartford Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 19.59 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is key to restoring the health of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Hartford Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 10.82 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Hartford Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 76.52% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Detroit, MI
- Overall Rating has a grade of D
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Detroit, Michigan has 24 other nursing homes
- Sinai-Grace HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.58 miles away6071 W Outer Drive Detroit Michigan 48235Proprietary(313) 966-3300
- Ascension Providence HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.79 miles away16001 W Nine Mile Rd Southfield Michigan 48075Voluntary non-profit - Church(248) 849-3011
- Henry Ford HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.63 miles away2799 W Grand Blvd Detroit Michigan 48202Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 916-2600
- Beaumont Hospital, Royal OakAcute Care Hospitals 6.78 miles away3601 W Thirteen Mile Rd Royal Oak Michigan 48073Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 898-5000
- Beaumont Hospital - Farmington HillsAcute Care Hospitals 6.88 miles away28050 Grand River Avenue Farmington Michigan 48336Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 471-8000
- Harper University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.32 miles away3990 John R Street Detroit Michigan 48201Proprietary(313) 745-6211
- Children's Hospital of MichiganChildrens 8.48 miles away3901 Beaubien Street Detroit Michigan 48201Proprietary(313) 745-5437
- Garden City HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.6 miles away6245 Inkster Rd Garden City Michigan 48135Voluntary non-profit - Private(734) 421-3300
- Davita - Schaefer Dr0.71 miles away18100 Schaefer Hwy Detroit Michigan 48235CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (313) 861-4354
- Greenfield Hs - Northwest Detroit1.11 miles away7800 W Outer Dr Suite l10 Detroit Michigan 48235CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 42 (313) 270-9239
- Northwest Detroit Dialysis Center LLC1.94 miles away21000 Northwestern Hwy Southfield Michigan 48075CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (248) 557-7000
- Fmc Dialysis - Northwest Detroit2.06 miles away18944 Grand River Ave Detroit Michigan 48223CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (313) 837-1530
- Davita - Greenview2.3 miles away18544 Eight Mile Road Southfield Michigan 48075Dialysis Stations: 24 (248) 569-1729
- Detroit Kidney Center LLC2.42 miles away13437 Schaefer Hwy Detroit Michigan 48227Dialysis Stations: 20 (313) 270-2709
- Fmc Dialysis - University2.67 miles away18430 Livernois Ave Detroit Michigan 48221CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (313) 341-4366
- Davita Wyoming Street Dialysis2.75 miles away13945 Wyoming St Detroit Michigan 48238Dialysis Stations: 13 (313) 931-5230