Hartford Nursing & Rehabilitation Center is in Detroit, Michigan, which is among the most densely populated metropolitan areas in the country. Featuring an overall score of B-, we surprisingly scored this nursing home to be ranked among the top three nursing homes in Detroit. An overall score in this range is typically a solid indication of a respectable facility. Even in a city of 23 nursing homes, this nursing home ought to be a sound option. One of the major highlights of this nursing home's profile is its exemplary inspection rating, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
Hartford Nursing & Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
The primary reason this facility received a decent overall grade is its impeccable government inspections in recent years. We awarded them one of our higher scores in that area, with an A+. This is a notably better score than the facility's overall score, which was decent but not in the elite range. Inspection grades weigh several factors, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these items by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. While this place had a few minor dings on its inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you that the government inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Remember that deficiency-free inspection reports are uncommon in the industry.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home also was awarded a favorable score in our short-term care category. We awarded this nursing home an above average grade of B in that category. In determining our short-term care grades, we quantify the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. The purpose is to devise a tool for sizing up the rehabilitation services of various nursing homes. Unfortunately, it does not appear that this facility submitted data regarding its registered nurse or physical therapy staffing. Lastly, we considered the percentage of residents who who were able to eventually return home from this facility. We found that 5.8 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Hartford Nursing & Rehabilitation Center?
This facility's next best category grade came in the area of nursing. In that category, we gave this nursing home a grade of B-. Nursing ratings are based largely on levels of nurse staffing. This nursing home averages just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low figure. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this nursing home surprisingly fared better in some of the quality-based metrics we looked at. In fact, it scored well when it comes to minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to the final category, we awarded this nursing home a D in the area of long-term care. This was the facility's weakest category grade. Naturally, this category hurt the nursing home's overall grade to some degree. Facilities that do not fare well in long-term care often don't provide as much nursing care and also may be lagging in a few of the areas of routine medical care we assessed. Once we assessed the quantity of nursing care, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination record. Frankly, we were a bit bothered by the fact that this facility vaccinated only 79.84694 percent of its residents against pneumonia. To our surprise, this nursing home was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this nursing home had less hospitalizations than the majority of nursing homes. This was its best score in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Hartford Nursing & Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Hartford Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 8.78% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin resulting from remaining in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Hartford Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 2.9% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents who have had a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injury are routinely linked to lower quality nursing care. More supervision minimizes the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Hartford Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 2.36% of Patients had UTIs
This figure is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients which experienced a UTI. UTI's may be an indicator of a facility with lower levels of hygiene. Nevertheless, this metric can also be misleading for certain nursing homes due to different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Hartford Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 13.11% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are administered to residents for many medical conditions, such as cognitive disorders. Sadly, in limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Hartford Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 18.81% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure tells you the percentage of long-term stay patients receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Hartford Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 3.44% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who are demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Hartford Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 91.43% of Patients
This is the percent of patients that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Hartford Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 12.1% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Hartford Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 17.7% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents that retained mobility levels.
In Hartford Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 1.47 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Hartford Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 17.7 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Hartford Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 10.81 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Hartford Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 77.3% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term stay residents that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of autonomy with activities of daily living often correlates with better rehabilitation services.
Scores for Detroit, MI
- Overall Rating has a grade of D
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Detroit, Michigan has 22 other nursing homes
- Sinai-Grace HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.58 miles away6071 W Outer Drive Detroit Michigan 48235Proprietary(313) 966-3300
- Ascension Providence HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.79 miles away16001 W Nine Mile Rd Southfield Michigan 48075Voluntary non-profit - Church(248) 849-3011
- Henry Ford HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.63 miles away2799 W Grand Blvd Detroit Michigan 48202Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 916-2600
- Beaumont Hospital, Royal OakAcute Care Hospitals 6.78 miles away3601 W Thirteen Mile Rd Royal Oak Michigan 48073Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 898-5000
- Beaumont Hospital - Farmington HillsAcute Care Hospitals 6.88 miles away28050 Grand River Avenue Farmington Michigan 48336Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 471-8000
- Harper University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.32 miles away3990 John R Street Detroit Michigan 48201Proprietary(313) 745-6211
- Children's Hospital of MichiganChildrens 8.48 miles away3901 Beaubien Street Detroit Michigan 48201Proprietary(313) 745-5437
- Garden City HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.6 miles away6245 Inkster Rd Garden City Michigan 48135Voluntary non-profit - Private(734) 421-3300
- Davita - Schaefer Dr0.71 miles away18100 Schaefer Hwy Detroit Michigan 48235CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (313) 861-4354
- Greenfield Hs - Northwest Detroit1.11 miles away7800 W Outer Dr Suite l10 Detroit Michigan 48235CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 42 (313) 270-9239
- Northwest Detroit Dialysis Center LLC1.94 miles away21000 Northwestern Hwy Southfield Michigan 48075CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (248) 557-7000
- Fmc Dialysis - Northwest Detroit2.06 miles away18944 Grand River Ave Detroit Michigan 48223CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (313) 837-1530
- Davita - Greenview2.3 miles away18544 Eight Mile Road Southfield Michigan 48075Dialysis Stations: 24 (248) 569-1729
- Detroit Kidney Center LLC2.42 miles away13437 Schaefer Hwy Detroit Michigan 48227Dialysis Stations: 20 (313) 270-2709
- Fmc Dialysis - University2.67 miles away18430 Livernois Ave Detroit Michigan 48221CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (313) 341-4366
- Davita Wyoming Street Dialysis2.75 miles away13945 Wyoming St Detroit Michigan 48238Dialysis Stations: 13 (313) 931-5230