Harris Hill Nursing Facility is located in the densely populated metropolitan area of Buffalo, New York with a population of 564,824 people. With an overall grade of B, this is a good option. This grade was right in line with the city grade in Buffalo. This place's strong report card was highlighted by its inspection rating, which you can find in the next section.
Harris Hill Nursing Facility
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to receiving a strong overall grade, this nursing home fared even better in the area of inspections which is based on the facility's recent inspection reports. We gave it an A+ for this area, which is one of our best scores. Inspection scores take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these items by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Amazingly, this was one of the few nursing homes in the country that had no deficiencies whatsoever on its inspection report. This is very impressive. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Additionally, this nursing home also received favorable long-term care scores in our assessment. Indeed, we gave it one of our better grades in that category, with a grade of B+. When nursing homes receive a score in this range in this category it typically means it has plenty of staff and is a quality place to live on a permanent basis. One of the datapoints we considered after nursing hours is vaccinations. This facility provided the pneumonia vaccination to 99 percent of its residents. This is a great way to minimize negative health outcomes for the aged 65 and up population. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Harris Hill Nursing Facility?
Short-term Care Quality
The third category we looked at was short-term care, where this facility was given a grade of B- in this area. In forming these short-term care grades, we assess the facility's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. Our objective is to create a scale for comparing the rehabilitation services of various nursing homes. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the number of residents who returned home from this facility. We found that 5.5 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home. This figure was actually well below average.
This facility's weakest category is nursing, which is the final category we looked at. In this area, we awarded this nursing home a grade of just D. Our nursing rating consists of many subcategories, but the main consideration is the number of nurse hours per patient per week. This nursing home averaged a meager 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient each day. This is an alarmingly low total. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in computing our nursing scores. This place performed well when it comes to avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Harris Hill Nursing Facility Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Harris Hill Nursing Facility, 9.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are routinely caused by residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care can limit the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Harris Hill Nursing Facility, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents that suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in major injuries are often linked to lower levels of patient supervision. Closer supervision can minimize the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Harris Hill Nursing Facility, 2.08% of Patients had UTIs
This is an indication of the percent of long-term care patients that sustained urinary tract infections. Although a higher rate of these infections could reflect poorly on a facility's hygiene protocols, it is problematic to compare different facilities due to reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Harris Hill Nursing Facility, 11.61% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure indicates the percentage of long-term patients receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Harris Hill Nursing Facility, 13.28% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Harris Hill Nursing Facility, 13.6% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who are demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Harris Hill Nursing Facility, 91.89% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Harris Hill Nursing Facility, 14.66% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Harris Hill Nursing Facility, 18.82% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents that maintained mobility over time. Optimizing mobility can be a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Harris Hill Nursing Facility, 1.2 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Harris Hill Nursing Facility, 18.82 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Harris Hill Nursing Facility, 8.77 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to assess the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Harris Hill Nursing Facility, 74.71% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term stay patients that saw functional improvements.
Scores for Buffalo, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Buffalo, New York has 19 other nursing homes
- Erie County Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.36 miles away462 Grider Street Buffalo New York 14215Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 898-3936
- Sisters of Charity HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.33 miles away2157 Main Street Buffalo New York 14214Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 862-1000
- Western Ny Childrens Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 9.58 miles away1010 East & West Road Buffalo New York 14224Government - State(716) 677-7000
- Kenmore Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.64 miles away2950 Elmwood Avenue Buffalo New York 14217Voluntary non-profit - Church(716) 447-6100
- Kaleida HealthAcute Care Hospitals 9.71 miles away100 High Street Buffalo New York 14210Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 859-8620
- Mercy Hospital of BuffaloAcute Care Hospitals 9.81 miles away565 Abbott Road Buffalo New York 14220Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 826-7000
- Eastern Niagara HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.36 miles away521 East Avenue Lockport New York 14094Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 514-5700
- Pure Life Renal of Buffalo Inc.2.16 miles away6010 Main Street Buffalo New York 14221Dialysis Stations: 25 (716) 631-4700
- Us Renal Care Williamsville Dialysis3.27 miles away7964 Transit Road, Suite 8-A Buffalo New York 14221Dialysis Stations: 13 (716) 634-1841
- Davita Suburban Dialysis4.32 miles away705 Maple Road Suite 600 Buffalo New York 14221CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (716) 630-6640
- Us Renal Care Cheektowaga Dialysis5.6 miles away2875 Union Road, Suite 13 C/D Buffalo New York 14227CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (716) 684-0276
- Davita Cleve Hill Dialysis Center5.8 miles away1461 Kensington Avenue Buffalo New York 14215CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (716) 831-8892
- Us Renal Care Amherst Dialysis7.16 miles away2880, Sheridan Dr Tonawanda New York 14150Dialysis Stations: 13 (716) 541-9165
- Erie County Medical Center7.49 miles away462 Grider Street Dialysis Unit Buffalo New York 14215Dialysis Stations: 36 (716) 898-1400
- Us Renal Care Tonawanda Dialysis8.59 miles away3161 Eggert Road Tonawanda New York 14150CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (716) 832-0159