Harbourwood Health and Rehab Center is an average-sized nursing home located in Clearwater, Florida. This nursing home was awarded an overall grade of B-, which is a respectable score. Even in a city offering 14 other nursing homes, this one looks like a respectable option. One of the better aspects of this facility's profile is its strong inspection rating, which you can find in the next paragraph.
Harbourwood Health and Rehab Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
549 Sky Harbor Dr,
Clearwater FL 33759
90.58% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
This nursing home earned a solid overall grade as described above, but we really wanted to point out its nearly flawless government inspections in recent years. We awarded them an A- in this category. Inspection scores are based on several pieces of information found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities that score well in this category typically have few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these places generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. Fortunately, although this facility had a few minor dings on its inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you the government inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. The fact that the deficiencies were relatively minor made us feel better about this inspection report.
One of the other reasons we graded this nursing home so highly is that it earned a very impressive nursing score. In that area, we awarded this facility a grade of B+. In computing a facility's nursing score, we consider the number of hours nurses spend with patients and the levels of training of the nurses. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well in terms of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Harbourwood Health and Rehab Center?
Long-term Care Quality
The next area we looked at is long-term care. In that area, we awarded this nursing home a decent grade of B-. In our long-term care rating, we weigh the sheer quantity of services provided by a facility, as well as a series of qualitative datapoints. In addition to looking at the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home administered the vaccine to 99.1453 percent of its patients, which is higher than the vast majority of nursing homes. This facility keeps its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we assessed is short-term care, proved to be this facility's worst area. We gave this facility a D in that area. This was one of the couple of weak links in an otherwise strong profile. Short-term care scores are vital for residents requiring rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally mandates more skilled nursing services. This includes a broad range of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. Unfortunately, we learned that this place offered fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other nursing homes. Lastly, we looked at the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that just 3.4 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Harbourwood Health and Rehab Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Harbourwood Health and Rehab Center, 9.08% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often caused by patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Harbourwood Health and Rehab Center, 2.82% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients who sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in major injuries are often the result of poor nursing care. More supervision limits the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Harbourwood Health and Rehab Center, 1.81% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be an indicator of nursing care . UTI's are often associated with a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. However, this metric may be misleading for some nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Harbourwood Health and Rehab Center, 10.64% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric indicates the percentage of long-term care patients receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to confirm these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Harbourwood Health and Rehab Center, 21.27% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure is an indication of the percentage of long-term stay patients taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Harbourwood Health and Rehab Center, 2.33% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term residents who are demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Harbourwood Health and Rehab Center, 94.94% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Harbourwood Health and Rehab Center, 13.07% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's may indicate the deterioration of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Harbourwood Health and Rehab Center, 16.78% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percentage of long-term stay residents who were able to retain mobility. Many would argue that mobility is important for patients mental and physical health.
In Harbourwood Health and Rehab Center, 1.76 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Harbourwood Health and Rehab Center, 16.78 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Harbourwood Health and Rehab Center, 9.16 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Harbourwood Health and Rehab Center, 78.49% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term care patients that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of performance with activities of daily living usually correlates with higher quality rehabilitation.
Scores for Clearwater, FL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Clearwater, Florida has 13 other nursing homes
- Morton Plant HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5 miles away300 Pinellas St Clearwater Florida 33756Voluntary non-profit - Private(727) 462-7000
- Mease Dunedin HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.22 miles away601 Main St Dunedin Florida 34698Voluntary non-profit - Private(727) 733-1111
- Mease Countryside HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.68 miles away3231 Mcmullen Booth Rd Safety Harbor Florida 34695Voluntary non-profit - Private(727) 734-6950
- Largo Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.84 miles away201 14th St Sw Largo Florida 33770Proprietary(727) 588-5200
- Northside HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.19 miles away6000 49th St N Saint Petersburg Florida 33709Proprietary(813) 521-5000
- St Petersburg General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.49 miles away6500 38th Ave N Saint Petersburg Florida 33710Proprietary(727) 384-1414
- Adventhealth North PinellasAcute Care Hospitals 12.08 miles away1395 S Pinellas Ave Tarpon Springs Florida 34689Voluntary non-profit - Other(727) 942-5000
- St Anthonys HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.96 miles away1200 Seventh Ave N Saint Petersburg Florida 33705Voluntary non-profit - Church(727) 825-1100
- Bma - Clearwater3.74 miles away26338 Us Hwy 19 N Clearwater Florida 33761CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (727) 723-8123
- Rai Care Centers - Clearwater4.56 miles away1057 S Fort Harrison Avenue Clearwater Florida 33756CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (727) 441-1608
- Fresenius Kidney Care-Dunedin4.64 miles away1121 Overcash Drive Suite A Dunedin Florida 34698Dialysis Stations: 24 (727) 733-1112
- Fmc - Belleair Home Therapies4.69 miles away617 Lakeview Rd Suite C Clearwater Florida 33756Dialysis Stations: 2 (727) 441-2913
- Fkc - Belleair Dialysis Center4.69 miles away617 Lakeview Road Suite B Clearwater Florida 33756CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (727) 441-8590
- Gulf Breeze Dialysis Center4.72 miles away1519 Main Street Dunedin Florida 34698Dialysis Stations: 25 (727) 738-4425
- Renviva Dialysis Center of Clearwater, LLC4.85 miles away401 Corbett Suite 250 Clearwater Florida 33756Dialysis Stations: 2 (727) 281-4490
- Bay Breeze Dialysis Clinic Inc5.9 miles away11550 Ulmerton Rd Largo Florida 33778CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (727) 584-4047