Harbor Villa Care Center is in Anaheim, California. The city offers a multitude of nursing home options. Featuring an overall grade of B+, this nursing home should work for most prospective residents. We were pleased to find out that this matched the average grade of nursing homes in Anaheim, which is one of the better cities in California to find a nursing home. This nursing home was also given phenomenal ratings in all of the major categories we assessed. More information about these categories can be found below.
Harbor Villa Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
On top of being a strong facility overall, this nursing home really excelled in our inspections category, where it earned an A. Few nursing homes performed better in that category. Inspection grades are tied to several items located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places that receive favorable grades in this category typically have very few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. This nursing home was hit with 5 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe. This means that CMS did not deem any of the deficiencies to pose an imminent risk to patient health or safety. We should note that deficiency-free inspections are uncommon in this industry.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility performed well in the category of short-term care. Indeed, we gave it a score of A- for that area, which happens to be one of our most favorable grades. In computing our short-term care ratings, we size up a nursing home's levels of skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other licensed professionals. This area is often a fair measure of the facility's rehabilitation services. We weren't able to track down information about this nursing home's registered nurse or physical therapy staffing. The final statistic we considered in this category is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We discovered that 6.5 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Harbor Villa Care Center?
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to our next area, this facility also earned a score of B for its long-term care rating. This is an above average grade in this area. When nursing homes receive this kind of score in long-term care it is a good sign for patient care and suggests that the nursing home is well-staffed with nurses and aids. Once we concluded our assessment of the amount of care provided by nurses, we then analyzed the nursing home's vaccination record. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which is very impressive. Pneumonia is too frequently a life threatening ailment for nursing home patients so we like it when a nursing home doesn't take any chances. Finally, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
The next category we scored was nursing. In this category, we awarded this facility a very solid grade of B. Our nursing score includes a variety of data points. The most important factor is the quantity of hours nurses spent with residents. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Harbor Villa Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Harbor Villa Care Center, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are routinely caused by residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols can reduce the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Harbor Villa Care Center, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint indicates the percentage of long-term stay residents that have sustained a fall which resulted in serious injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls may be an indicator of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Harbor Villa Care Center, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This figure indicates the percent of long-term care residents that have suffered from a UTI. UTI's may be a sign of worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this datapoint could be skewed for certain nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Harbor Villa Care Center, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are administered to residents for a variety of medical conditions, such as dementia. Unfortunately, in some cases, increased usage of these drugs may mean a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Harbor Villa Care Center, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are given to residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Harbor Villa Care Center, 4.33% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term patients who are showing signs of depression. Some believe that this is a reasonable measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Harbor Villa Care Center, 95.72% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Harbor Villa Care Center, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Harbor Villa Care Center, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who remained mobile levels. Many argue that the ability to move around is critical to patients mental and physical well-being.
In Harbor Villa Care Center, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Harbor Villa Care Center, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Harbor Villa Care Center, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Harbor Villa Care Center, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percentage of short-term care patients who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some argue that this is a measure of a facility's rehabilitation services.
Scores for Anaheim, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Anaheim, California has 13 other nursing homes
- Ahmc Anaheim Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.96 miles away1111 W La Palma Avenue Anaheim California 92801Voluntary non-profit - Private(714) 774-1450
- University of California Irvine Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.27 miles away101 City Drive South Orange California 92868Government - Local(714) 456-6112
- Garden Grove Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.39 miles away12601 Garden Grove Blvd Garden Grove California 92843Proprietary(714) 537-5160
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.08 miles away1100 West Stewart Dr Orange California 92868Voluntary non-profit - Church(714) 633-9111
- West Anaheim Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.54 miles away3033 W Orange Avenue Anaheim California 92804Proprietary(714) 827-3000
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - Orange County - AnaheAcute Care Hospitals 4.6 miles away3440 E La Palma Ave Anaheim California 92806Voluntary non-profit - Private(714) 279-4000
- St Jude Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.91 miles away101 E Valencia Mesa Drive Fullerton California 92835Voluntary non-profit - Church(714) 992-3000
- Chapman Global Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.72 miles away2601 E Chapman Ave Orange California 92869Proprietary(714) 633-0011
- Davita-Anaheim Springs Dialysis1.58 miles away1324 S Euclid Street Anaheim California 92802CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (714) 774-1518
- Davita-Anaheim West Dialysis1.89 miles away1821 W. Lincoln Avenue Anaheim California 92801CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (714) 765-6510
- Davita-Anaheim Dialysis2.08 miles away1341 W. La Palma Avenue Anaheim California 92801CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (714) 254-1484
- Davita-Fullerton Dialysis2.32 miles away238 Orangefair Mall Fullerton California 92832CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (714) 447-3045
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital Medical Ctr.- Anaheim2.65 miles awayPeritoneal Dialysis Unit, 3460 E. La Palma Avenue Anaheim California 92806Dialysis Stations: 5 (714) 644-2312
- Fmc-North Orange County2.76 miles away511 N. Brookhurst Street, Suite 100 Anaheim California 92801CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (714) 778-0488
- Fmc-Rai-Harbor Blvd.-Garden Grove3.34 miles away12761 Harbor Blvd., Suite I-3 Garden Grove California 92840CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (714) 539-3122
- Davita-Garden Grove Harbor Dialysis3.44 miles away13054 North Harbor Blvd. Garden Grove California 92843CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (714) 539-3395