Harbor Villa Care Center is in Anaheim, California. The city offers a multitude of nursing home options. Featuring an overall grade of B+, this nursing home should work for most prospective residents. We were pleased to find out that this matched the average grade of nursing homes in Anaheim, which is one of the better cities in California to find a nursing home. This nursing home was also given phenomenal ratings in all of the major categories we assessed. More information about these categories can be found below.
Harbor Villa Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
On top of being a strong facility overall, this nursing home really excelled in our inspections category, where it earned an A. Few nursing homes performed better in that category. Inspection grades are tied to several items located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places that receive favorable grades in this category typically have very few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. This nursing home was hit with 5 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe. This means that CMS did not deem any of the deficiencies to pose an imminent risk to patient health or safety. We should note that deficiency-free inspections are uncommon in this industry.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility also was given a favorable short-term care score. Indeed, we gave it an above average score of B+ in this area. In calculating our short-term care ratings, we analyze a nursing home's levels of highly skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other types of therapists. This grade is generally a reliable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation. We were not able to track down information on registered nurse or physical therapy staffing for this nursing home. The final datapoint we considered in this area is the number of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We discovered that 5.9 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about Harbor Villa Care Center?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility is also above average in the category of long-term care, where it was awarded a score of B. It performed better than most facilities in this area. When facilities receive this type of score in this category it is a good sign for patient care and indicates that the place is well-staffed with nurses and aids. In addition to looking at the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its patients. Vaccines are critical to keeping residents out of the hospital. Finally, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
The final area we analyzed was nursing. This facility was given a strong nursing grade this year, with a B. This facility truly did not have any weak categories. Nursing ratings are tied to quantity of nursing care available. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as employing a policy of moving a patient even once per day.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Harbor Villa Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Harbor Villa Care Center, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint is an indication of the percent of long-term patients which suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers . We bake this statistic into both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Harbor Villa Care Center, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who have had falls which resulted in serious injury. This is one of the statistics we use in determining our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Harbor Villa Care Center, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many experts to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often linked to lower quality nursing care. However, this metric could also be skewed for certain facilities due to varying reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Harbor Villa Care Center, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents who were given antipsychotic drugs. These medications may be used to treat a variety of conditions, including dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Harbor Villa Care Center, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are typically prescribed to patients experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Harbor Villa Care Center, 4.64% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients showing symptoms of depression. High rates of depression may reveal a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Harbor Villa Care Center, 95.44% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Harbor Villa Care Center, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with ADL's could be a sign of the decline of a resident's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Harbor Villa Care Center, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of patients who remained mobile levels over time. Preserving mobility is often a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Harbor Villa Care Center, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Harbor Villa Care Center, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Harbor Villa Care Center, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between keeping patients out of the emergency room and the overall quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Harbor Villa Care Center, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of autonomy with ADL's usually correlates with superior rehabilitation.
Scores for Anaheim, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Anaheim, California has 13 other nursing homes
- Ahmc Anaheim Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.96 miles away1111 W La Palma Avenue Anaheim California 92801Voluntary non-profit - Private(714) 774-1450
- University of California Irvine Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.27 miles away101 City Drive South Orange California 92868Government - Local(714) 456-6112
- Garden Grove Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.39 miles away12601 Garden Grove Blvd Garden Grove California 92843Proprietary(714) 537-5160
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.08 miles away1100 West Stewart Dr Orange California 92868Voluntary non-profit - Church(714) 633-9111
- West Anaheim Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.54 miles away3033 W Orange Avenue Anaheim California 92804Proprietary(714) 827-3000
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - Orange County - AnaheAcute Care Hospitals 4.6 miles away3440 E La Palma Ave Anaheim California 92806Voluntary non-profit - Private(714) 279-4000
- St Jude Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.91 miles away101 E Valencia Mesa Drive Fullerton California 92835Voluntary non-profit - Church(714) 992-3000
- Chapman Global Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.72 miles away2601 E Chapman Ave Orange California 92869Proprietary(714) 633-0011
- Davita-Anaheim Springs Dialysis1.58 miles away1324 S Euclid Street Anaheim California 92802CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (714) 774-1518
- Davita-Anaheim West Dialysis1.89 miles away1821 W. Lincoln Avenue Anaheim California 92801CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (714) 765-6510
- Davita-Anaheim Dialysis2.08 miles away1341 W. La Palma Avenue Anaheim California 92801CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (714) 254-1484
- Davita-Fullerton Dialysis2.32 miles away238 Orangefair Mall Fullerton California 92832CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (714) 447-3045
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital Medical Ctr.- Anaheim2.65 miles awayPeritoneal Dialysis Unit, 3460 E. La Palma Avenue Anaheim California 92806Dialysis Stations: 5 (714) 644-2312
- Fmc-North Orange County2.76 miles away511 N. Brookhurst Street, Suite 100 Anaheim California 92801CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (714) 778-0488
- Fmc-Rai-Harbor Blvd.-Garden Grove3.34 miles away12761 Harbor Blvd., Suite I-3 Garden Grove California 92840CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (714) 539-3122
- Davita-Garden Grove Harbor Dialysis3.44 miles away13054 North Harbor Blvd. Garden Grove California 92843CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (714) 539-3395