Located in Anaheim, California, Harbor Villa Care Center is one of six nursing homes in this area. With an overall grade of B-, this is likely a decent nursing home. While there's nothing wrong with a B-, it is worth noting that Anaheim received a city grade of B+ so there are plenty of good options in this city. This facility was better in some categories than others, but it didn't have any bad scores in any of our major areas discussed below. More information about these categories can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Harbor Villa Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Anaheim senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Government - Federal
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
This facility's overall grade was propped up by a strong long-term care grade. We awarded them one of our better grades in that category, with a B+. Nursing homes that do well in this category typically are well-staffed and provide extensive hands on care to patients. One of the criteria we considered in addition to nursing hours was vaccinations. This facility provided the pneumonia vaccine to 100 percent of its residents. This is a great way to avoid negative health outcomes for the elderly population. Lastly, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Short-term Care Quality
Another one of this nursing home's more impressive category grades was in the category of short-term care. In that area, we gave this nursing home a B. It actually fared better than most facilities in this area. In the category of short-term care, we strive to evaluate measures of a facility's rehabilitation. We assess a facility's skilled nursing services, such as the ones performed by registered nurses and various therapists. It doesn't look like this nursing home submitted registered nurse or physical therapist staffing data. Finally, we assessed the percentage of patients who who were able to eventually return home from this facility. We found that 5.9 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about Harbor Villa Care Center?
Turning to our inspection category, it appears this facility has earned respectable inspections in recent years as well. We gave it a B- in this category. Our inspection scores are tied to pieces of information located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are a key item to look for on these inspections. Severe deficiencies indicate a threat to the well being of residents. While this place had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none were serious based on CMS' scale. Remember that deficiency-free inspection reports are rare in the industry.
Turning to the last category, this nursing home was given a respectable nursing score of C. Nursing scores are mostly associated with a facility's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home averages just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low figure. Finally, despite not having the highest total nursing hours, this facility performed admirably in the area of preventing major falls. This is generally a reliable indicator that a place has quality controls in place.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Harbor Villa Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Harbor Villa Care Center, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This gauges the percent of long-term stay residents which suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers . We factor in this statistic in computing both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Harbor Villa Care Center, 1.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents that sustained a fall resulting in major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Harbor Villa Care Center, 1.34% of Patients had UTIs
This figure is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents which had a urinary tract infection. While more infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's cleanliness, it can be problematic to compare between nursing homes due to facilities having varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Harbor Villa Care Center, 10.3% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These drugs are sometimes used to treat a variety of medical conditions, such as dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Harbor Villa Care Center, 13.84% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay residents who were administered antianxiety drugs. These drugs are commonly prescribed to residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Harbor Villa Care Center, 5.83% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term residents who are showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Harbor Villa Care Center, 95.65% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Harbor Villa Care Center, 8.26% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Harbor Villa Care Center, 10.41% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who retained mobility levels. Some believe that the ability to move around is important for residents' mental and physical well-being.
In Harbor Villa Care Center, 1.78 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Harbor Villa Care Center, 10.41 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Harbor Villa Care Center, 11.34 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between keeping patients out of the emergency room and the quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Harbor Villa Care Center, 79.12% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term stay residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of autonomy with activities of daily living often correlates with superior rehabilitation.
Scores for Anaheim, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Anaheim, California has 5 other nursing homes
- Ahmc Anaheim Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.96 miles away1111 W La Palma Avenue Anaheim California 92801Voluntary non-profit - Private(714) 774-1450
- University of California Irvine Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.27 miles away101 City Drive South Orange California 92868Government - Local(714) 456-6112
- Garden Grove Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.39 miles away12601 Garden Grove Blvd Garden Grove California 92843Proprietary(714) 537-5160
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.08 miles away1100 West Stewart Dr Orange California 92868Voluntary non-profit - Church(714) 633-9111
- West Anaheim Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.54 miles away3033 W Orange Avenue Anaheim California 92804Proprietary(714) 827-3000
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - Orange County - AnaheAcute Care Hospitals 4.6 miles away3440 E La Palma Ave Anaheim California 92806Voluntary non-profit - Private(714) 279-4000
- St Jude Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.91 miles away101 E Valencia Mesa Drive Fullerton California 92835Voluntary non-profit - Church(714) 992-3000
- Chapman Global Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.72 miles away2601 E Chapman Ave Orange California 92869Proprietary(714) 633-0011
- Davita-Anaheim Springs Dialysis1.58 miles away1324 S Euclid Street Anaheim California 92802CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (714) 774-1518
- Davita-Anaheim West Dialysis1.89 miles away1821 W. Lincoln Avenue Anaheim California 92801CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (714) 765-6510
- Davita-Anaheim Dialysis2.08 miles away1341 W. La Palma Avenue Anaheim California 92801CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (714) 254-1484
- Davita-Fullerton Dialysis2.32 miles away238 Orangefair Mall Fullerton California 92832CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (714) 447-3045
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital Medical Ctr.- Anaheim2.65 miles awayPeritoneal Dialysis Unit, 3460 E. La Palma Avenue Anaheim California 92806Dialysis Stations: 5 (714) 644-2312
- Fmc-North Orange County2.76 miles away511 N. Brookhurst Street, Suite 100 Anaheim California 92801CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (714) 778-0488
- Fmc-Rai-Harbor Blvd.-Garden Grove3.34 miles away12761 Harbor Blvd., Suite I-3 Garden Grove California 92840CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (714) 539-3122
- Davita-Garden Grove Harbor Dialysis3.44 miles away13054 North Harbor Blvd. Garden Grove California 92843CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (714) 539-3395