Harbor View Nursing and Rehabilitation Center is an average-sized nursing home located in Memphis, Tennessee. This nursing home was given an overall rating of F. If you aren't happy with this facility's overall grade, you should be able to find a better option in Memphis. The city has at least 10 other nursing homes. More information on this nursing home's category grades may be found below. Its best category is short-term care, which is discussed in the next paragraph.
Harbor View Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
Note: Harbor View Nursing and Rehabilitation Center has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
Even though we gave this nursing home a terrible overall score, we gave it a C for short-term care. Our short-term care ratings are arguably more important for those needing a nursing home for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually utilizes additional skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes not only nursing services, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other variations of therapy. Unfortunately, we found that this place provided fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other facilities. The tricky part is determining what bearing this had on the quality of care. The final measure we considered in this area is the percentage of patients that ultimately were able to return home from the facility. We found that just 5.4 percent of this facility's residents returned home. This figure was below average.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home also didn't grade out too badly in the area of long-term care. Indeed, we gave it a C for that area, which is among its better scores. In crafting these long-term care scores, we analyze the nursing home's personal care services. On top of assessing the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 91.52542 percent of its residents, which is slightly lower than we anticipated. Fortunately, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Harbor View Nursing and Rehabilitation Center?
We were surprised to find that this facility also excelled in the area of nursing. In fact, we gave it a grade of D for that category, which is one of our best scores. Our nursing score is largely tied to the facility's nurse staffing. This facility provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This facility fared well in terms of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. Many consider these datapoints to be reliable measures of the quality of nursing care.
Turning to our final category of inspections, this facility received a grade that's as bad as it gets. We weight this category more heavily than our other categories. For nursing homes with bad inspection ratings, you should focus on any severe deficiencies found on their inspection reports. This particular nursing home was hit with 4 deficiencies by government inspectors. The only favorable thing we found is that none of these deficiencies were in the categories that indicate they caused a threat to patient safety or health. Lastly, this nursing home was cited by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. This is generally a really bad sign. We would never recommend this facility.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Harbor View Nursing and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Harbor View Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 9.06% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often caused by residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Harbor View Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 3.4% of Patients had Serious Falls
This gauges the percentage of long-term care patients who experienced a fall which resulted in major injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls could be a sign of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Harbor View Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 3.28% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections could be linked to poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Harbor View Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 15.49% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are administered to patients for many conditions, including cognitive disorders. Sadly, in limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may mean that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Harbor View Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 29.7% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric measures the percentage of long-term patients taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Harbor View Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 8.67% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Harbor View Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 89.63% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care patients who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home residents, making these vaccines critical to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Harbor View Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 16.71% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and bathing. Some believe that this is a reliable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Harbor View Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 26.22% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of residents who were able to retain mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is often a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Harbor View Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 1.21 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care. There is a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Harbor View Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 26.22 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Harbor View Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 11.37 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. There is a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Harbor View Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 72.9% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term care residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Memphis, TN
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Memphis, Tennessee has 20 other nursing homes
- Regional One HealthAcute Care Hospitals 2.89 miles away877 Jefferson Avenue Memphis Tennessee 38103Government - Hospital District or Authority(901) 545-7928
- Memphis Mental Health InstitutePsychiatric 2.98 miles away951 Court Avenue Memphis Tennessee 38103Government - Local(901) 577-1800
- Methodist Healthcare Memphis HospitalsAcute Care Hospitals 3.48 miles away1265 Union Ave Suite 700 Memphis Tennessee 38104Voluntary non-profit - Church(901) 516-8274
- Delta Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.14 miles away3000 Getwell Rd Memphis Tennessee 38118Proprietary(901) 369-8100
- Baptist Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.98 miles away6019 Walnut Grove Road Memphis Tennessee 38120Voluntary non-profit - Private(901) 226-5000
- St Francis HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.66 miles away5959 Park Ave Memphis Tennessee 38119Proprietary(901) 765-1000
- Saint Francis Bartlett Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.85 miles away2986 Kate Bond Rd Memphis Tennessee 38133Proprietary(901) 820-7050
- Crestwyn Behavioral HealthPsychiatric 19.41 miles away9485 Crestwyn Hills Cove Memphis Tennessee 38125Proprietary(901) 457-5667
- Lebonheur Childrens Hosp Dialysis2.18 miles away50 N Dunlap--Dialysis Unit 2nd Floor Memphis Tennessee 38103Dialysis Stations: 7 (901) 287-6133
- Satellite Healthcare of Poplar Avenue LLC3.11 miles away1333 Poplar Ave Memphis Tennessee 38104CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (901) 725-0482
- Isd Renal Inc3.3 miles away1166 Monroe Avenue Memphis Tennessee 38104CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (901) 722-2012
- Memphis Central Dialysis3.38 miles away889 Dr. M. L. King Jr. Ave Memphis Tennessee 38126CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (901) 525-1719
- Isd Renal Inc3.52 miles away1331 Union Avenue, Ste. 101 Memphis Tennessee 38104CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (901) 278-5400
- Fmc Memphis3.55 miles away1428 Monroe Avenue Memphis Tennessee 38104CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (901) 272-8683
- Davita Memphis Downtown4.43 miles away2076 Union Avenue Memphis Tennessee 38104CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (901) 725-1169
- Fmc Memphis Midtown4.68 miles away2225 Union Avenue Suite 200 Memphis Tennessee 38104CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (901) 725-7586