Hannah B G Shaw Home for the Aged is an average-sized non-profit nursing home located in Middleboro, Massachusetts. Sporting an overall rating of A+, we deemed this nursing home as the highest rated facility in Middleboro. Overall grades in this range are a strong indicator of a high quality facility. Based on our ratings, this nursing home is just about as as good as it gets. One of the major highlights of this nursing home's exemplary report card is its short-term care grade. short-term care grades are discussed in the next section.
Hannah B G Shaw Home for the Aged
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Top Nursing Home in Massachusetts Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Middleboro, Massachusetts Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in Massachusetts Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Middleboro, Massachusetts Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Massachusetts Awards 2021
Best Nursing Home in Middleboro, Massachusetts Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a great nursing home is that it received an A+ in short-term care. This is simply as good as it gets in this area. In crafting these short-term care grades, we assess the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. The purpose is to formulate a measure for comparing the rehabilitation services of various facilities. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final metric we assessed in this category is the number of patients who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We found that 6 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
This nursing home also received an A+ for its nursing grade. There are quite a few datapoints within this grade. Most of these datapoints reflect the quantity of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.6 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can generally be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Hannah B G Shaw Home for the Aged?
Racking up another strong category grade, this facility also excelled in the area of inspections, where it earned a score of A. Few facilities fared better in this area. These inspection ratings take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these issues by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
In the last category we rated, this facility was awarded a very favorable grade of A- in our long-term care category. With this score, the facility topped off a straight A report card. Nursing homes that do well in long-term care tend to be well-staffed and provide extensive hands on care to residents. After assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we turned to the facility's vaccination statistics. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its patients against pneumonia. Vaccines are critical to keeping patients out of the hospital. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Hannah B G Shaw Home for the Aged Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Hannah B G Shaw Home for the Aged, 6.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients that developed pressure ulcers . We factor in this statistic in computing our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Hannah B G Shaw Home for the Aged, 3.68% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic indicates the percent of long-term stay patients which suffered falls resulting in serious injury. We use this statistic in determining our nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Hannah B G Shaw Home for the Aged, 2.42% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often linked to worse hygiene protocols. Closer supervision can limit the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Keep in mind that this statistic is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have incongruent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Hannah B G Shaw Home for the Aged, 19.05% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to make sure these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Hannah B G Shaw Home for the Aged, 18.65% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are given to residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Hannah B G Shaw Home for the Aged, 1.93% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who are demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Hannah B G Shaw Home for the Aged, 91.44% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Hannah B G Shaw Home for the Aged, 15.15% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living may indicate the erosion of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Hannah B G Shaw Home for the Aged, 17.66% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of residents who retained mobility levels over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Hannah B G Shaw Home for the Aged, 1.44 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Hannah B G Shaw Home for the Aged, 17.66 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Hannah B G Shaw Home for the Aged, 10.93 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Hannah B G Shaw Home for the Aged, 71.35% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percentage of short-term residents that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some believe this is a measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation performance.
- Morton HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.44 miles away88 Washington Street Taunton Massachusetts 02780Proprietary(508) 828-7000
- Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital - PlymouthAcute Care Hospitals 12.85 miles away275 Sandwich Street Plymouth Massachusetts 02360Voluntary non-profit - Private(508) 746-2000
- Signature Healthcare Brockton HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.24 miles away680 Center Street Brockton Massachusetts 02302Voluntary non-profit - Other(508) 941-7000
- Southcoast Hospital Group, IncAcute Care Hospitals 17.94 miles away363 Highland Avenue Fall River Massachusetts 02720Voluntary non-profit - Private(508) 679-3131
- Good Samaritan Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 18.55 miles away235 North Pearl Street Brockton Massachusetts 02301Proprietary(508) 427-3000
- Saint Anne's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 19.4 miles away795 Middle Street Fall River Massachusetts 02721Proprietary(508) 674-5600
- Fresenius Medical Care of Wareham9.69 miles away100 Rosebrook Way Suite 100 Wareham Massachusetts 02571Dialysis Stations: 13 (508) 291-1100
- Fresenius Medical Care of Plymouth Cordage12.3 miles away10 Cordage Park Circle Suite 213 Plymouth Massachusetts 02360CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (508) 732-9272
- Taunton Regional Dialysis Center13.07 miles awayMill River Place 1 Washington St, Suite 9 Taunton Massachusetts 02780CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (508) 828-5986
- Hawthorn Kidney Center15.09 miles away537 Faunce Corner Road North Dartmouth Massachusetts 02747CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (508) 994-9692
- Fresenius Medical Care of Fairhaven15.97 miles away216 Huttleson Avenue Fairhaven Massachusetts 02719Dialysis Stations: 19 (508) 996-0364
- Fall River Kidney Center LLC16.99 miles away48 Weaver Street Fall River Massachusetts 02720CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 41 (508) 677-4911
- Davita New Bedford Dialysis17.32 miles away237-B State Road North Dartmouth Massachusetts 02747CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (508) 992-0629
- Brockton Dialysis Center, LLC18.24 miles away375 Westgate Drive Brockton Massachusetts 02301Dialysis Stations: 19 (508) 586-2791