Hammond-Whiting Care Center is an average-sized nursing home located in Whiting, Indiana. This facility was given an F, which is really a bottom of the barrel score in our grading scheme. This place is about as bad as it gets. If you aren't deterred by this place's profile, feel free to continue reading to learn more about its category grades. We discuss inspections in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Hammond-Whiting Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Whiting senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
While we graded this nursing home incredibly poorly overall, it actually received a very impressive inspection report this year. As a result, it received one of our more favorable scores in that area with a B+. Our inspection scores are tied to many pieces of information found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are an important thing to look for on these inspections. Most importantly, you should avoid facilities that have severe deficiencies linked to risks to resident well being. This facility was hit with 11 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered severe. This indicates that the inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies to cause an immediate risk to patient safety or health. A few minor deficiencies aren't necessarily the end of the world.
Unfortunately, this facility only received a grade of D for its nursing grade, which was actually one of its better category grades. Nursing grades are largely tied to a nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in calculating our nursing ratings. This nursing home performed well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these datapoints to be reliable indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Hammond-Whiting Care Center?
Short-term Care Quality
We gave this facility just a D for our short-term care grade. This is not a score to write home about. Our short-term care grades are important for individuals in need of rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually utilizes additional skilled nursing. Skilled nursing means a broad range of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. With its grade in this category, we weren't surprised to find that this place is well below average in terms of the quantity of physical therapy and registered nurse hours provided to its patients based on the figures we assessed. The final statistic we looked at in this area is the percentage of patients that ultimately were able to return home from the facility. This facility struggled quite a bit in this metric as well, with just 4.6 percent of its residents returning home. Unfortunately, this was quite a bit below average.
Long-term Care Quality
The last category we looked at is long-term care. This nursing home received a very poor grade of F in this category. When facilities receive this kind of score in long-term care it is typically a bad sign for resident care and it may indicate that the facility is not as well-staffed with nurses and aids. Once we concluded our assessment of the volume of care provided by nurses, we then looked at the facility's vaccination data. Frankly, we were a bit bothered by the fact that this nursing home vaccinated only 72.30047 percent of its patients for pneumonia. To our surprise, this facility was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.04 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this nursing home had less hospitalizations than the average nursing home. This was its best feature in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Hammond-Whiting Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Hammond-Whiting Care Center, 11.17% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to remaining in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Hammond-Whiting Care Center, 3.76% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients that sustained a fall leading to major injury. This is one of the statistics we use in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Hammond-Whiting Care Center, 1.9% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint tells you the percent of long-term care residents which have suffered from urinary tract infections. While a higher rate infections could reflect poorly on a facility's cleanliness, it can be difficult to compare between nursing homes due to facilities having reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Hammond-Whiting Care Center, 21.15% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are given to residents for a variety of conditions, including cognitive disorders. Tragically, in some situations, increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Hammond-Whiting Care Center, 29.9% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term care patients which were prescribed antianxiety medication. These medications are generally given to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Hammond-Whiting Care Center, 3.28% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents exhibiting symptoms of depression. Increased rates of depression could imply worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Hammond-Whiting Care Center, 73.44% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Hammond-Whiting Care Center, 17.26% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living may be a sign of the decline of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Hammond-Whiting Care Center, 19.28% of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients who maintained mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is often a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Hammond-Whiting Care Center, 0.04 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Hammond-Whiting Care Center, 19.28% of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Hammond-Whiting Care Center, 19.6% of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between keeping patients out of the emergency room and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Hammond-Whiting Care Center, 88.61% of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percentage of short-term stay patients that saw functional improvements.
- Advocate Trinity HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.18 miles away2320 E 93rd St Chicago Illinois 60617Voluntary non-profit - Other(773) 967-5002
- St Catherine Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 4.69 miles away4321 Fir St East Chicago Indiana 46312Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 392-7004
- Franciscan Health HammondAcute Care Hospitals 5.18 miles away5454 Hohman Ave Hammond Indiana 46320Voluntary non-profit - Church(219) 932-2300
- South Shore HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.39 miles away8012 South Crandon Avenue Chicago Illinois 60617Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 356-5000
- Roseland Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.22 miles away45 W 111th Street Chicago Illinois 60628Voluntary non-profit - Other(773) 995-3000
- Jackson Park HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.36 miles away7531 S Stony Island Ave Chicago Illinois 60649Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 947-7500
- The University of Chicago Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.63 miles away5841 South Maryland Chicago Illinois 60637Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 702-1000
- St Bernard HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.09 miles away326 W 64th St Chicago Illinois 60621Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 962-3900
- Davita Whiting Dialysis0.66 miles away816 119th St. Whiting Indiana 46394Dialysis Stations: 9 (219) 473-0712
- Fmc - South Deering Dialysis3.01 miles away10559 S Torrence Ave Chicago Illinois 60617Dialysis Stations: 20 (773) 768-7100
- Fmc - South Chicago3.75 miles away9200 S. South Chicago Ave. Chicago Illinois 60617CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (773) 734-7433
- Davita Park Manor Dialysis3.76 miles away9505 S. Colfax Avenue Chicago Illinois 60617Dialysis Stations: 16 (773) 978-5237
- Fmc - East Chicago Dialysis Center4.48 miles away4016 Main Street East Chicago Indiana 46312CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (219) 398-9338
- Davita - East Chicago4.57 miles away4320 Fir Street Suite 404 East Chicago Indiana 46312Dialysis Stations: 12 (219) 397-1199
- Davita - Stony Island Dialysis4.6 miles away8725 South Stony Island Ave Chicago Illinois 60617CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (773) 221-7320
- Hammond Dialysis Center4.77 miles away7 Sibley Street Hammond Indiana 46320Dialysis Stations: 29 (219) 937-2819