With an address in Whiting, Indiana, Hammond-Whiting Care Center is the sole facility we identified in this city. This facility was given an F, which is really a rock-bottom score in our grading scheme. This facility is just about as bad as it gets. If you aren't deterred by this nursing home's profile, feel free to continue reading to find out about its category grades. Inspection grades are discussed in the next section.
Hammond-Whiting Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Although this place's overall grade was terrible, it fared pretty well in the category of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a B+ for that area, which is one of our better scores. These inspection ratings take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these factors by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. While this facility had a few minor dings on its inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means the inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A couple minor deficiencies are not the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
We gave this facility just a D for our long-term care score and that actually turned out to be its second best category. Facilities that don't score well in long-term care often don't provide as much nursing care and also may be lagging in some of the areas of routine personal care we looked at. After considering the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination statistics. We were a bit concerned this facility vaccinated 74.37186 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which is significantly less than what we were hoping for. Surprisingly, this place was actually decent at keeping its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had just 0.04 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. This is its best feature in this category.
Does this page answer your questions about Hammond-Whiting Care Center?
Turning to the area of nursing care, this facility received a grade of just D in this category. When computing our nursing grades, we factor in both staffing levels and the levels of licensure of the nurses. With a meager 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day, this place's nurse staffing levels were quite a bit below the national average. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in calculating our nursing scores. This nursing home fared well when it comes to minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. Many consider these areas to be indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
Moving on to the fourth area, this nursing home did not fare very well here either. Due to a poor grade of F in short-term care, this is about as bad as it gets. In the category of short-term care, we try to qualify measures of a nursing home's rehabilitation services. We assess a facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses and various therapists. With a score this poor in this area, we were not stunned to learn this place was well below average in many staffing metrics we focus on. The facility offered far fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most nursing homes. Lastly, we assessed the percentage of patients that ultimately returned home from this facility. This facility didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 4.6 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Hammond-Whiting Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Hammond-Whiting Care Center, 7.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term stay patients who suffer from new or worsened pressure ulcers . We bake this statistic into our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Hammond-Whiting Care Center, 3.93% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who had a fall resulting in serious injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls may be a sign of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Hammond-Whiting Care Center, 1.87% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint is an indication of the percent of long-term patients who suffered from a UTI. Although a higher rate infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's cleanliness, it can be difficult to compare between nursing homes due to nursing homes having varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Hammond-Whiting Care Center, 13.18% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents given antipsychotic drugs. These drugs are used for a variety of conditions, such as dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Hammond-Whiting Care Center, 21.77% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were given antianxiety medications. These drugs are typically prescribed to residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Hammond-Whiting Care Center, 12.89% of Patients
This is the percent of patients who are demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Hammond-Whiting Care Center, 91.48% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Hammond-Whiting Care Center, 15.74% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with ADL's could be a sign of deterioration of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Hammond-Whiting Care Center, 15.7% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who remained mobile levels.
In Hammond-Whiting Care Center, 1.46 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Hammond-Whiting Care Center, 15.7 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Hammond-Whiting Care Center, 11.29 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Hammond-Whiting Care Center, 73.78% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term stay patients who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Advocate Trinity HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.18 miles away2320 E 93rd St Chicago Illinois 60617Voluntary non-profit - Other(773) 967-5002
- St Catherine Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 4.69 miles away4321 Fir St East Chicago Indiana 46312Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 392-7004
- Franciscan Health HammondAcute Care Hospitals 5.18 miles away5454 Hohman Ave Hammond Indiana 46320Voluntary non-profit - Church(219) 932-2300
- South Shore HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.39 miles away8012 South Crandon Avenue Chicago Illinois 60617Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 356-5000
- Roseland Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.22 miles away45 W 111th Street Chicago Illinois 60628Voluntary non-profit - Other(773) 995-3000
- Jackson Park HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.36 miles away7531 S Stony Island Ave Chicago Illinois 60649Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 947-7500
- The University of Chicago Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.63 miles away5841 South Maryland Chicago Illinois 60637Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 702-1000
- St Bernard HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.09 miles away326 W 64th St Chicago Illinois 60621Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 962-3900
- Davita Whiting Dialysis0.66 miles away816 119th St. Whiting Indiana 46394Dialysis Stations: 9 (219) 473-0712
- Fmc - South Deering Dialysis3.01 miles away10559 S Torrence Ave Chicago Illinois 60617Dialysis Stations: 20 (773) 768-7100
- Fmc - South Chicago3.75 miles away9200 S. South Chicago Ave. Chicago Illinois 60617CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (773) 734-7433
- Davita Park Manor Dialysis3.76 miles away9505 S. Colfax Avenue Chicago Illinois 60617Dialysis Stations: 16 (773) 978-5237
- Fmc - East Chicago Dialysis Center4.48 miles away4016 Main Street East Chicago Indiana 46312CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (219) 398-9338
- Davita - East Chicago4.57 miles away4320 Fir Street Suite 404 East Chicago Indiana 46312Dialysis Stations: 12 (219) 397-1199
- Davita - Stony Island Dialysis4.6 miles away8725 South Stony Island Ave Chicago Illinois 60617CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (773) 221-7320
- Hammond Dialysis Center4.77 miles away7 Sibley Street Hammond Indiana 46320Dialysis Stations: 29 (219) 937-2819