With an address in Whiting, Indiana, Hammond-Whiting Care Center is the sole facility we identified in this city. This facility was given an F, which is really a rock-bottom score in our grading scheme. This facility is just about as bad as it gets. If you aren't deterred by this nursing home's profile, feel free to continue reading to find out about its category grades. Inspection grades are discussed in the next section.
Hammond-Whiting Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
Although this place's overall grade was terrible, it fared pretty well in the category of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a B+ for that area, which is one of our better scores. These inspection ratings take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these factors by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. While this facility had a few minor dings on its inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means the inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A couple minor deficiencies are not the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
We also wanted to draw your attention to the fact that this facility was given an F for its short-term care grade. Our short-term care grades are probably most meaningful for individuals in need of rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation generally requires more highly-skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing means not just nursing services, but also physical and occupational therapy, as well as other variations of therapy. With a grade in this range in this category, we weren't shocked to learn that this place was well below average in many staffing areas we assess. It offered substantially fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per patient than most other nursing homes. Lastly, we considered the number of residents that were able to return home from this facility. This facility didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 4 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about Hammond-Whiting Care Center?
We also wanted to point out that this nursing home received an F for its nursing grade. When determining our nursing ratings, we look at both staffing levels and the training levels of those nurses. This nursing home averaged a meager 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in calculating our nursing scores. This place fared well when it comes to avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers.
Long-term Care Quality
The last area we scored was long-term care. Sadly, it received an F in this category, which is a poor score. Nursing homes that don't fare well in long-term care typically aren't as well-staffed and are lagging in some of the areas of routine healthcare services we looked at. In addition to considering the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to 69.270836 percent of its patients. This is significantly below average. To our surprise, this facility actually fared well at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had just 0.03 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. This is its best feature in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Hammond-Whiting Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Hammond-Whiting Care Center, 7.63% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who have pressure ulcers or bed sores. We use this statistic in calculating both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Hammond-Whiting Care Center, 3.89% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients who have had a major fall. Falls resulting in major injury are often linked to poor nursing care. Better nursing protocols can limit the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Hammond-Whiting Care Center, 1.96% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often the result of facilities with worst hygiene practices. Additional nurse staffing minimizes the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Note that this datapoint is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have incongruent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Hammond-Whiting Care Center, 13.37% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay patients receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may suggest a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Hammond-Whiting Care Center, 21.6% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients prescribed antianxiety medications. These medications are used to treat residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Hammond-Whiting Care Center, 12.38% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care residents demonstrating depressive symptoms. Some experts argue that this is a measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Hammond-Whiting Care Center, 91.56% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Hammond-Whiting Care Center, 16.12% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Hammond-Whiting Care Center, 17.5% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of patients that retained mobility levels over time. Preserving mobility can be a good sign for residents' health.
In Hammond-Whiting Care Center, 1.36 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Hammond-Whiting Care Center, 17.5 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Hammond-Whiting Care Center, 11.23 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to measure the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Hammond-Whiting Care Center, 73.53% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term care patients who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- Advocate Trinity HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.18 miles away2320 E 93rd St Chicago Illinois 60617Voluntary non-profit - Other(773) 967-5002
- St Catherine Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 4.69 miles away4321 Fir St East Chicago Indiana 46312Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 392-7004
- Franciscan Health HammondAcute Care Hospitals 5.18 miles away5454 Hohman Ave Hammond Indiana 46320Voluntary non-profit - Church(219) 932-2300
- South Shore HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.39 miles away8012 South Crandon Avenue Chicago Illinois 60617Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 356-5000
- Roseland Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.22 miles away45 W 111th Street Chicago Illinois 60628Voluntary non-profit - Other(773) 995-3000
- Jackson Park HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.36 miles away7531 S Stony Island Ave Chicago Illinois 60649Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 947-7500
- The University of Chicago Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.63 miles away5841 South Maryland Chicago Illinois 60637Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 702-1000
- St Bernard HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.09 miles away326 W 64th St Chicago Illinois 60621Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 962-3900
- Davita Whiting Dialysis0.66 miles away816 119th St. Whiting Indiana 46394Dialysis Stations: 9 (219) 473-0712
- Fmc - South Deering Dialysis3.01 miles away10559 S Torrence Ave Chicago Illinois 60617Dialysis Stations: 20 (773) 768-7100
- Fmc - South Chicago3.75 miles away9200 S. South Chicago Ave. Chicago Illinois 60617CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (773) 734-7433
- Davita Park Manor Dialysis3.76 miles away9505 S. Colfax Avenue Chicago Illinois 60617Dialysis Stations: 16 (773) 978-5237
- Fmc - East Chicago Dialysis Center4.48 miles away4016 Main Street East Chicago Indiana 46312CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (219) 398-9338
- Davita - East Chicago4.57 miles away4320 Fir Street Suite 404 East Chicago Indiana 46312Dialysis Stations: 12 (219) 397-1199
- Davita - Stony Island Dialysis4.6 miles away8725 South Stony Island Ave Chicago Illinois 60617CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (773) 221-7320
- Hammond Dialysis Center4.77 miles away7 Sibley Street Hammond Indiana 46320Dialysis Stations: 29 (219) 937-2819