Hamden Rehabilitation & Health Care Center is a large nursing home in Hamden, Connecticut. This nursing home received an overall grade of B+, which is a strong rating. Based on all of the relevant data, you can do much worse than this place. Keep reading to find this facility's category ratings, which are also quite good. It would be hard to poke holes in this nursing home's profile.
Hamden Rehabilitation & Health Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
In addition to receiving a strong overall score, this facility also received an elite short-term care grade. We gave them one of our better scores in that area, with an A. Our short-term care ratings are likely most important for individuals in need of a nursing home for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually mandates more highly-skilled nursing services. This means not just nursing, but also physical and respiratory therapy, as well as other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last item we looked at in this category is the number of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We found that 6.9 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
This facility also excelled in the area of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A- for that category, which is one of our highest grades. This is one of the few facilities with an overall grade in this range which earned multiple category grades this high. Inspection scores account for several factors found on a nursing home's inspection reports. One key criteria we consider is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with higher scores in this area generally have few of these severe deficiencies. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Even some of the best nursing homes receive an occasional ding on their inspection report.
Does this page answer your questions about Hamden Rehabilitation & Health Care Center?
In addition, this facility also received favorable nursing grades this year. In fact, we awarded them one of our better scores in that area, with a grade of B+. Nursing grades are tied to quality and quantity of nursing care. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can typically be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Long-term Care Quality
Switching gears to our last category, this nursing home was given a high-end long-term care rating. This nursing home did not prove to have any weaknesses. In a long-term care environment, the primary goal is to keep patients as healthy and safe as possible. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate residents. In addition to assessing the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility vaccinated 65.14286 percent of its patients. This is a few points below what we anticipated but still a decent percentage. Although its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we hoped for, we were pleased to find facility was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Hamden Rehabilitation & Health Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Hamden Rehabilitation & Health Care Center, 6.69% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint is is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are a great indicator of the quality of nursing care a facility provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Hamden Rehabilitation & Health Care Center, 3.55% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients who sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in major injuries are considered to be a barometer of nursing care . Falls leading to injury are often the result of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Hamden Rehabilitation & Health Care Center, 1.93% of Patients had UTIs
This gauges the percent of long-term stay patients who sustained urinary tract infections. Although a higher rate infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's nursing care, it can be problematic to compare between nursing homes due to nursing homes having varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Hamden Rehabilitation & Health Care Center, 14.74% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure indicates the percent of long-term residents who are given antipsychotic medication. Excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents in situations where such medications are not medically required. However, some facilities need to rely on these medications due to having more residents suffering from Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Hamden Rehabilitation & Health Care Center, 17.2% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are administered to patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Hamden Rehabilitation & Health Care Center, 6.52% of Patients
This is the percent of residents demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Hamden Rehabilitation & Health Care Center, 88.27% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Hamden Rehabilitation & Health Care Center, 17.82% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Hamden Rehabilitation & Health Care Center, 22.18% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of residents that were able to retain mobility over time. Retaining mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
In Hamden Rehabilitation & Health Care Center, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Hamden Rehabilitation & Health Care Center, 22.18 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Hamden Rehabilitation & Health Care Center, 9.56 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Hamden Rehabilitation & Health Care Center, 75.26% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements.
- Yale-New Haven HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.14 miles away20 York St New Haven Connecticut 06504Voluntary non-profit - Private(203) 688-4242
- Griffin HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.64 miles away130 Division St Derby Connecticut 06418Voluntary non-profit - Other(203) 732-7500
- Midstate Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.65 miles away435 Lewis Avenue Meriden Connecticut 06450Voluntary non-profit - Private(203) 694-8200
- Waterbury HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.62 miles away64 Robbins St Waterbury Connecticut 06721Proprietary(203) 573-6000
- Milford Hospital, IncAcute Care Hospitals 14.42 miles away300 Seaside Avenue Milford Connecticut 06460Voluntary non-profit - Private(203) 876-4000
- Middlesex HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.12 miles away28 Crescent St Middletown Connecticut 06457Voluntary non-profit - Private(860) 344-6000
- Bridgeport HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 19.22 miles away267 Grant Street Bridgeport Connecticut 06610Voluntary non-profit - Private(203) 384-3000
- St Vincent's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 19.98 miles away2800 Main St Bridgeport Connecticut 06606Voluntary non-profit - Church(203) 576-5551
- Davita Hamden Dialysis1.04 miles away3000 Dixwell Avenue Suite 100 Hamden Connecticut 06518Dialysis Stations: 21 (203) 281-5361
- North Haven Dialysis Center3.31 miles away266 State Street Suite 2 North Haven Connecticut 06473Dialysis Stations: 15 (203) 230-1946
- u.s.renal Care North Haven Dialysis4.31 miles away510 Washington Avenue North Haven Connecticut 06473CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (203) 234-7071
- St. Raphael Dialysis Center - New Haven4.91 miles awayDialysis Unit 137 Water Street New Haven Connecticut 06511CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (203) 772-2421
- New Haven Home Dialysis5.82 miles away136 Sherman Avenue Suite 206 New Haven Connecticut 06511Dialysis Stations: 7 (203) 773-0853
- Davita New Haven Dialysis6.04 miles away15 Center Street New Haven Connecticut 06510CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (203) 859-7770
- Wallingford Dialysis Care LLC8.04 miles away720 N Main Street Ext Suite 3 Wallingford Connecticut 06492Dialysis Stations: 13 (203) 265-0667
- Davita Branford Dialysis8.48 miles away249 West Main Street Branford Connecticut 06405Dialysis Stations: 13 (203) 481-8531