Grey Stone Health & Rehabilitation Center is an average-sized nursing home in Fort Wayne, Indiana. This is a decent facility, with an overall grade of B-. In spite of Fort Wayne featuring 26 nursing homes to select from, this nursing home ought to be a respectable choice. This nursing home was better in some categories than others, but it didn't have any poor grades in any of the major categories discussed below. More information about these categories can be found below.
Grey Stone Health & Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
This nursing home's best category grade came in the category of inspections. In that category, we awarded this facility a grade of B+. It actually outperformed most facilities in this category. Inspection grades take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these issues by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. While this facility had a few deficiencies on its government inspection report, none were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. The fact that none of the deficiencies were severe leaves us less concerned with this inspection report.
Long-term Care Quality
Another one of this nursing home's better category grades came in the area of long-term care. In that category, we gave this nursing home a B. It actually performed better than most nursing homes in this category. Nursing homes that receive this kind of score in this category typically provide consistent 24/7 care to ensure residents are well cared for. Once we assessed the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination record. This facility vaccinated 99.21875 percent of its residents for pneumonia. Vaccines are vital to keeping patients healthy. Lastly, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Grey Stone Health & Rehabilitation Center?
Short-term Care Quality
The next category we analyzed is short-term care. In that category, we awarded this nursing home a grade of B. It actually outperformed most facilities in this area. In determining our short-term care grades, we size up the nursing home's levels of skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists respiratory therapists and other types of therapists. This category is typically a useful measure of a facility's ability to rehabilitate patients. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final statistic we looked at in this area is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the facility and return home. We discovered that 5.8 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Turning to the final category, this nursing home received a decent nursing score of B-. Our nursing score features numerous factors. The most important factor is the amount of time nurses spent with patients. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a relatively low total compared to most other facilities. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures. Although this place got docked a bit for its nursing hours per resident, it excelled in some of these quality metrics. With fewer than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it did very well in this statistic. This is generally an indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can many times be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as by employing a system of moving a patient more frequently.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Grey Stone Health & Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Grey Stone Health & Rehabilitation Center, 7.63% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic measures the percent of long-term stay residents that are suffering from pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are a great indicator of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Grey Stone Health & Rehabilitation Center, 3.89% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients that sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injury are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Falls resulting in injury are often the result of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Grey Stone Health & Rehabilitation Center, 1.96% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often caused by worse hygiene protocols. Closer supervision limits the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. Keep in mind that this datapoint is affected by by the fact that facilities have varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Grey Stone Health & Rehabilitation Center, 13.37% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are administered to patients for a variety of conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias. Tragically, in limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Grey Stone Health & Rehabilitation Center, 21.6% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure gauges the percentage of long-term stay patients that are prescribed antianxiety medication. These drugs are typically given to residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Grey Stone Health & Rehabilitation Center, 12.38% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term patients exhibiting depressive symptoms. Some experts argue that this is a reasonable measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Grey Stone Health & Rehabilitation Center, 91.56% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Grey Stone Health & Rehabilitation Center, 16.12% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living may be a sign of the deterioration of a patient's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Grey Stone Health & Rehabilitation Center, 17.5% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of residents who retained mobility levels over time. Preserving mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
In Grey Stone Health & Rehabilitation Center, 1.36 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care. There is generally a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Grey Stone Health & Rehabilitation Center, 17.5 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Grey Stone Health & Rehabilitation Center, 11.23 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to assess short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Grey Stone Health & Rehabilitation Center, 73.53% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of performance with activities of daily living generally correlates with successful rehabilitation services.
Scores for Fort Wayne, IN
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Fort Wayne, Indiana has 25 other nursing homes
- Parkview Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.79 miles away11109 Parkview Plaza Drive Fort Wayne Indiana 46845Voluntary non-profit - Private(260) 266-1000
- Orthopaedic Hospital at Parkview North LLCAcute Care Hospitals 1.02 miles away11130 Parkview Circle Dr Fort Wayne Indiana 46845Voluntary non-profit - Private(260) 672-4050
- Dupont Hospital LLCAcute Care Hospitals 1.24 miles away2520 E Dupont Rd Fort Wayne Indiana 46825Proprietary(260) 416-3000
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.77 miles away700 Broadway Fort Wayne Indiana 46802Proprietary(260) 425-3000
- Lutheran Hospital of IndianaAcute Care Hospitals 12.96 miles away7950 W Jefferson Blvd Fort Wayne Indiana 46804Proprietary(260) 435-7001
- Dekalb HealthAcute Care Hospitals 13.26 miles away1316 E Seventh St Auburn Indiana 46706Voluntary non-profit - Private(260) 925-4600
- Community Memorial HospitalCritical Access Hospitals 19.09 miles away208 N Columbus St Hicksville Ohio 43526Government - Hospital District or Authority(419) 542-6692
- Parkview Whitley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 19.75 miles away1260 E Sr 205 Columbia City Indiana 46725Voluntary non-profit - Private(260) 248-9301
- Fmc - Dupont Dialysis1.09 miles away10204 East Dupont Circle Drive Fort Wayne Indiana 46825CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (260) 489-9255
- Davita-Fort Wayne North Dialysis2.64 miles away415 E Dupont Road Fort Wayne Indiana 46825Dialysis Stations: 13 (260) 637-0431
- Davita - Summit City Dialysis4.99 miles away3233 East Coliseum Blvd. Fort Wayne Indiana 46805CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (260) 373-1599
- Fmc - Canal Dialysis9.18 miles away1308 Minnich Road New Haven Indiana 46774Dialysis Stations: 12 (260) 749-1004
- Davita - Fort Wayne West9.6 miles away4916 Illinois Road, Suite 118 Fort Wayne Indiana 46804Dialysis Stations: 14 (260) 434-0483
- Davita - Fort Wayne South10.13 miles away302 E. Pettit Ave. Fort Wayne Indiana 46806CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (260) 456-0451
- Davita - Appleseed10.51 miles away1833 Magnavox Way Fort Wayne Indiana 46804Dialysis Stations: 4 (260) 432-1036
- Randolph Dialysis, LLC11.93 miles away6721 Old Trail Road Fort Wayne Indiana 46809Dialysis Stations: 12 (260) 478-8582