Grey Stone Health & Rehabilitation Center is an average-sized nursing home in Fort Wayne, Indiana. This is a decent facility, with an overall grade of B-. In spite of Fort Wayne featuring 12 nursing homes to select from, this nursing home ought to be a respectable choice. This nursing home was better in some categories than others, but it didn't have any poor grades in any of the major categories discussed below. More information about these categories can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Grey Stone Health & Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Fort Wayne senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
The main reason this nursing home received a decent overall score is its impeccable government inspections in recent years. We awarded it one of our higher grades in that area, with an A-. This is a much better grade than the facility's overall score, which was decent but certainly not elite. These inspection scores take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can learn more about each of these items by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. While this nursing home had some deficiencies on its report, none of them were severe based on CMS' scale. The fact that the deficiencies were relatively minor leaves us less concerned with this inspection report.
This nursing home also received a strong nursing grade. In fact, we awarded it a grade of B in that category, which is one of our better scores. The nursing rating consists of a handful of subcategories, but the primary consideration is the level of nurse hours per patient per week. This facility provided 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place the country in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as having a system of turning a resident more often.
Does this page answer your questions about Grey Stone Health & Rehabilitation Center?
Short-term Care Quality
The next best category we awarded this facility in any category came in the category of short-term care, where we gave it a B-. Short-term care grades are commonly employed to assess a facility's performance with rehabilitation In order to provide good rehabilitation services, facilities generally need to provide better levels of skilled nursing services. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other highly trained professionals. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we considered the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 4.9 percent of this facility's patients returned home. At most facilities, closer to half of their residents are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Long-term Care Quality
The last area we analyzed was long-term care. For this category, we gave this nursing home a grade of C. In computing these long-term care grades, we quantify the facility's personal care services. After looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination records. We were optimistic to discover that this facility vaccinated 99.30796 percent of its residents for pneumonia. This place also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Grey Stone Health & Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Grey Stone Health & Rehabilitation Center, 7.36% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are often caused by patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Grey Stone Health & Rehabilitation Center, 4.17% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term residents who have sustained a fall leading to severe injury. We use this statistic in determining nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Grey Stone Health & Rehabilitation Center, 1.69% of Patients had UTIs
This figure is an indication of the percent of long-term stay residents who have sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's may be an indicator of poor nursing care. Nevertheless, this metric may also be misleading for some nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Grey Stone Health & Rehabilitation Center, 13.33% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to residents for many medical conditions, including cognitive disorders. Unfortunately, in limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Grey Stone Health & Rehabilitation Center, 22.6% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term residents receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Grey Stone Health & Rehabilitation Center, 14.48% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term patients demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Grey Stone Health & Rehabilitation Center, 91.03% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Grey Stone Health & Rehabilitation Center, 15.46% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of residents that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Grey Stone Health & Rehabilitation Center, 12.91% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who retained mobility levels.
In Grey Stone Health & Rehabilitation Center, 1.53 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Grey Stone Health & Rehabilitation Center, 12.91 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Grey Stone Health & Rehabilitation Center, 12.43 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to measure patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Grey Stone Health & Rehabilitation Center, 73.74% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Fort Wayne, IN
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Fort Wayne, Indiana has 11 other nursing homes
- Parkview Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.79 miles away11109 Parkview Plaza Drive Fort Wayne Indiana 46845Voluntary non-profit - Private(260) 266-1000
- Orthopaedic Hospital at Parkview North LLCAcute Care Hospitals 1.02 miles away11130 Parkview Circle Dr Fort Wayne Indiana 46845Voluntary non-profit - Private(260) 672-4050
- Dupont Hospital LLCAcute Care Hospitals 1.24 miles away2520 E Dupont Rd Fort Wayne Indiana 46825Proprietary(260) 416-3000
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.77 miles away700 Broadway Fort Wayne Indiana 46802Proprietary(260) 425-3000
- Lutheran Hospital of IndianaAcute Care Hospitals 12.96 miles away7950 W Jefferson Blvd Fort Wayne Indiana 46804Proprietary(260) 435-7001
- Dekalb HealthAcute Care Hospitals 13.26 miles away1316 E Seventh St Auburn Indiana 46706Voluntary non-profit - Private(260) 925-4600
- Community Memorial HospitalCritical Access Hospitals 19.09 miles away208 N Columbus St Hicksville Ohio 43526Government - Hospital District or Authority(419) 542-6692
- Parkview Whitley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 19.75 miles away1260 E Sr 205 Columbia City Indiana 46725Voluntary non-profit - Private(260) 248-9301
- Fmc - Dupont Dialysis1.09 miles away10204 East Dupont Circle Drive Fort Wayne Indiana 46825CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (260) 489-9255
- Davita-Fort Wayne North Dialysis2.64 miles away415 E Dupont Road Fort Wayne Indiana 46825Dialysis Stations: 13 (260) 637-0431
- Davita - Summit City Dialysis4.99 miles away3233 East Coliseum Blvd. Fort Wayne Indiana 46805CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (260) 373-1599
- Fmc - Canal Dialysis9.18 miles away1308 Minnich Road New Haven Indiana 46774Dialysis Stations: 12 (260) 749-1004
- Davita - Fort Wayne West9.6 miles away4916 Illinois Road, Suite 118 Fort Wayne Indiana 46804Dialysis Stations: 14 (260) 434-0483
- Davita - Fort Wayne South10.13 miles away302 E. Pettit Ave. Fort Wayne Indiana 46806CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (260) 456-0451
- Davita - Appleseed10.51 miles away1833 Magnavox Way Fort Wayne Indiana 46804Dialysis Stations: 4 (260) 432-1036
- Randolph Dialysis, LLC11.93 miles away6721 Old Trail Road Fort Wayne Indiana 46809Dialysis Stations: 12 (260) 478-8582