Greenwood Center is a large facility in Warwick, Rhode Island. We awarded this facility an A- overall grade, ranking it in the top 25 percent of all nursing homes in the country. Based on the data we reviewed, you can't go wrong with this nursing home. As you will see below, this place also performed just fine in our category scores. It is hard to find any major flaws in this place's profile.
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
On top of receiving a great overall rating, this facility performed well in our inspections category, which is based on its inspection reports. In fact, we gave it an A in this category. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in calculating these inspection grades. One of those factors is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of the deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some are relatively insignificant. Although this nursing home had a few deficiencies on its report, none were severe based on CMS' scale. A couple relatively minor deficiencies are not necessarily something to panic about.
To complement its strong performance in other areas, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A for our inspections rating. Our nursing rating is largely tied to a facility's nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the nation in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can many times be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as employing a policy of turning a patient more frequently.
Does this page answer your questions about Greenwood Center?
Short-term Care Quality
Moving on our third area, we gave this facility a grade of A- for its short-term care grade. This is a superb grade. In computing our short-term care grades, we size up the facility's levels of skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists occupational therapists and other types of therapists. This grade is often a fair measure of a facility's rehabilitation services. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final statistic we considered in this category is the percentage of residents that ultimately were able to return home from the facility. We found that 5.9 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Long-term Care Quality
The last category we assessed was long-term care. This nursing home received a very good nursing rating this year, with a grade of B. Although this is not quite as impressive as some of its other category grades, this is nevertheless one of our more favorable scores in this area. If you are seeking services other than rehabilitation, you should take a close look at long-term care scores. In addition to considering the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 85.13932 percent of its patients, which is slightly less than we were hoping for. While its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we had hoped, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Greenwood Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Greenwood Center, 7.54% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure is an indication of the percentage of long-term stay patients that have new or worsened pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are a reliable barometer of quality of care.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Greenwood Center, 3.81% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents who sustained a fall which resulted in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Greenwood Center, 2.72% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients who have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely associated with facilities with lower levels of hygiene. More frequent bathing can reduce the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. Keep in mind that this datapoint is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Greenwood Center, 17.75% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be helpful for many patients, it is important to confirm these medications are being used appropriately. In limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Greenwood Center, 15.06% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are administered to residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Greenwood Center, 2.96% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who are demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Greenwood Center, 94.59% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home patients, making these vaccines critical to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Greenwood Center, 17.47% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Greenwood Center, 23.44% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents that remained mobile levels. Some experts would argue that the ability to move around is important for patients health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Greenwood Center, 23.44 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Greenwood Center, 11.31 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Greenwood Center, 77.51% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percentage of short-term patients who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many in the industry believe this is a reliable measure of a facility's rehabilitation services.
Scores for Warwick, RI
- Overall Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Warwick, Rhode Island has 5 other nursing homes
- Kent County Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.19 miles away455 Toll Gate Rd Warwick Rhode Island 02886Proprietary(401) 737-7010
- Women & Infants Hospital of Rhode IslandAcute Care Hospitals 7.09 miles away101 Dudley Street Providence Rhode Island 02905Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 274-1100
- Emma Pendleton Bradley HospitalPsychiatric 7.29 miles away1011 Veterans Memorial Parkway Riverside Rhode Island 02915Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 432-1000
- Rhode Island HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.3 miles away593 Eddy Street Providence Rhode Island 02903Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 444-4000
- Roger Williams Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.38 miles away825 Chalkstone Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02908Proprietary(401) 456-2025
- Our Lady of Fatima HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.77 miles away200 High Service Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02904Proprietary(401) 456-3000
- The Miriam HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.08 miles away164 Summit Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02906Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 793-2500
- Saint Anne's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.2 miles away795 Middle Street Fall River Massachusetts 02721Proprietary(508) 674-5600
- Fresenius Medical Care of Warwick0.79 miles away2814 Post Road Warwick Rhode Island 02886CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (401) 738-4050
- Dialysis Center of West Warwick2.55 miles away1775 Bald Hill Road Warwick Rhode Island 02886CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 34 (401) 823-8420
- Dialysis Center of Providence6.74 miles away9 Plenty Street Providence Rhode Island 02907Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 273-4898
- Dialysis Center of Johnston8.05 miles away1526 Atwood Avenue Johnston Rhode Island 02919CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 521-0400
- Dialysis Center of Rhode Island Hospital8.52 miles away950 Warren Avenue Suite 101 East Providence Rhode Island 02914Dialysis Stations: 12 (401) 606-1002
- The Dialysis Center of Rhode Island Hospital8.56 miles away22 Baker Street Providence Rhode Island 02905Dialysis Stations: 18 (401) 444-4440
- Dialysis Center of East Providence8.93 miles away318 Waterman Avenue East Providence Rhode Island 02914CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 435-5200
- Nna of Providence9.26 miles away125 Corliss Street Providence Rhode Island 02904CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (401) 521-9300