Great Lakes Rehab Center is a small nursing home located in Saginaw, Michigan. This is a good nursing home with a B- overall grade. This grade is right in line with the city grade in Saginaw. Based on our assessment, this facility ought to meet the needs of many people. One of the better aspects of this facility's report card is its impressive short-term care grade, which you can find in the next section.
Great Lakes Rehab Center
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
- Assisted Living
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Bariatric Care
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
This facility really excelled at short-term care, with an A- in this area. This really propped up its overall grade. Our short-term care grades are considered to be more meaningful for residents in need of rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation generally mandates higher levels of highly-skilled nursing. This includes not only nursing services, but also physical and occupational therapy, as well as other variations of therapy. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like this facility submitted information on registered nurse or physical therapist staffing. The final statistic we looked at in this area is the number of residents who were able to leave the facility and return home. We found that 5.6 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
We also want to emphasize this place's nearly flawless government inspections in recent years. We gave them an impressive grade of B+ in this category. Inspection scores take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can learn more about each of these items by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. While this place had a few deficiencies on its report, none of them were major deficiencies based on CMS' scale. The fact that the deficiencies were relatively minor leaves us less concerned with this inspection report.
Does this page answer your questions about Great Lakes Rehab Center?
An additional reason we rated this facility so highly is that it earned an A+ nursing rating. Nursing ratings are tied to nurse staffing levels. This nursing home provides 0 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
The next area we analyzed was long-term care. Unfortunately, we gave it an F in this category, which is a poor grade. This is obviously a significant concern. For long-term care residents, the primary goal is to maintain patients' quality of life and keep them safe. In addition to considering the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is more than the average nursing home. To our surprise, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this facility has fewer hospitalizations than the majority of nursing homes. Unfortunately, a few of its other scores in this category weren't as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Great Lakes Rehab Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Great Lakes Rehab Center, 8.78% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are routinely the result of patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care can minimize the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Great Lakes Rehab Center, 2.9% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents that sustained a fall which resulted in major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Great Lakes Rehab Center, 2.36% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often caused by lower quality nursing care. Additional nurse staffing can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. We want to point out that this statistic is affected by by the fact that facilities have different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Great Lakes Rehab Center, 13.11% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to confirm these medications are being used appropriately. In some cases, increased usage of these drugs may indicate a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Great Lakes Rehab Center, 18.81% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents who are administered antianxiety medication. These drugs are given to residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Great Lakes Rehab Center, 3.44% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Great Lakes Rehab Center, 91.43% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Great Lakes Rehab Center, 12.1% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and using the bathroom.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Great Lakes Rehab Center, 17.7% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients who were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility can be a great sign for residents' health.
In Great Lakes Rehab Center, 1.47 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. There is generally a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Great Lakes Rehab Center, 17.7 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Great Lakes Rehab Center, 10.81 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Great Lakes Rehab Center, 77.3% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term care residents who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of performance with ADL's usually correlates with better rehabilitation services.
Scores for Saginaw, MI
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Saginaw, Michigan has 7 other nursing homes
- Healthsource SaginawAcute Care Hospitals 3.15 miles away3340 Hospital Road Saginaw Michigan 48603Voluntary non-profit - Other(989) 790-7888
- Covenant Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.2 miles away1447 N Harrison Saginaw Michigan 48602Voluntary non-profit - Private(989) 583-4000
- Ascension St Mary's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.7 miles away800 S Washington Avenue Saginaw Michigan 48601Voluntary non-profit - Church(989) 776-8000
- Mclaren Bay RegionAcute Care Hospitals 10 miles away1900 Columbus Ave Bay City Michigan 48708Voluntary non-profit - Private(989) 894-3000
- Midmichigan Medical Center-MidlandAcute Care Hospitals 16.94 miles away4000 Wellness Drive Midland Michigan 48670Voluntary non-profit - Other(989) 839-3000
- Gulch Dialysis LLC1.23 miles away5641 Bay Rd Saginaw Michigan 48604Dialysis Stations: 13 (989) 249-1350
- Bay Area Regl Dialysis Ctr - Saginaw1.65 miles away4800 Mcleod Dr E Saginaw Michigan 48604CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (989) 790-9440
- Town Center Dialysis - Davita4.61 miles away323 N Michigan Ave Saginaw Michigan 48602CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (989) 791-3624
- Bay Area Regl Dialysis Ctr - Saginaw Riverside4.65 miles away920 N Niagara St Saginaw Michigan 48602CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (989) 921-2170
- Saginaw Dialysis Clinic - Davita4.73 miles away311 Hoyt Ave Saginaw Michigan 48607Dialysis Stations: 13 (989) 771-5094
- Davita - Bay City Dialysis9.04 miles away3170 Professional Ct Bay City Michigan 48706CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (989) 686-8782
- Bay Area Reg Dialysis - Essexville11.3 miles away1536 W Center Rd Essexville Michigan 48732Dialysis Stations: 24 (989) 894-2810
- Davita Colmare Dialysis11.5 miles away6302 Dixie Hwy Bridgeport Michigan 48722Dialysis Stations: 12 (989) 777-0780