Great Lakes Healthcare Center is a large facility in Dyer, Indiana. We gave this nursing home an alarming overall grade based on the data we assessed. If you are not satisfied with this facility's low overall grade, you may find you have slim pickings in Dyer. The city has just two other nursing homes. We would not blame you if you are ready to stop reading and find another nursing home. However, if you want to learn more about this place's category grades, short-term care grades are discussed in the next section.
Great Lakes Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
2300 Great Lakes Dr,
Dyer IN 46311
69.1% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Dialysis Transportation
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Oncology Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Radiation Therapy
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
This facility ended up receiving rock bottom scores in our assessment. Perhaps most alarmingly, it received an F for its short-term care grade. In determining our short-term care grades, we size up a nursing home's levels of skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists occupational therapists and other types of therapists. This rating is considered to be a useful measure of a facility's ability to rehabilitate patients. Considering its weak grade in this area, we were not shocked to discover that this place provided significantly fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most facilities. The final datapoint we looked at in this area is the number of patients that who were able to eventually return home from the nursing home. This facility struggled quite a bit in this metric as well, with just 0 percent of its patients returning home. This was quite a bit below the national average.
Unfortunately, this nursing home received really poor inspection reports in recent years, causing us to give them an F in our inspection category. An F in this category is often a signal that we found some major red flags on the facility's government inspection reports. With nursing homes that received this poor of an inspection score, we recommend scrutinizing the severe deficiencies on its inspection report. This nursing home was assessed 8 deficiencies by government inspectors. The only positive thing we can say is that none of these deficiencies were in the categories that indicate they created a threat to resident safety or health. Finally, we would like to draw your attention to the fact that this nursing home received large government fines recently totaling over $100,000. This often signifies that a bad track record has been an issue for multiple years.
Does this page answer your questions about Great Lakes Healthcare Center?
This facility ended up receiving rock bottom score in our nursing category. It received an F in this category. Our nursing grade weighs many components, most of which are associated with nursing hours. This particular place provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient each day. This figure is far below average. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing scores. This place performed well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers.
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on to the fourth category, this facility did not perform very well in this category either. Due to a poor grade of F in long-term care, this is about as bad as it gets. Nursing homes that do not fare well in this category typically aren't as well-staffed and are lagging in some of the areas of routine healthcare services we assessed. One of the criteria we considered after nursing hours is vaccinations. Candidly, we were a bit alarmed this facility administered the pneumonia vaccination to only 46.511627 percent of its patients. Surprisingly, this nursing home actually fared well at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had just 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. This is its best score in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Great Lakes Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Great Lakes Healthcare Center, 7.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are often the result of patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Great Lakes Healthcare Center, 3.93% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic gauges the percentage of long-term care residents who experienced falls which resulted in severe injury. This is one of the statistics we use in computing nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Great Lakes Healthcare Center, 1.87% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term residents who suffered from UTI's. While a higher rate of these infections could reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it is problematic to compare different nursing homes due to nursing homes having inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Great Lakes Healthcare Center, 13.18% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of long-term patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior in scenarios where such medications are not medically indicated. However, some nursing homes need to rely on these medications due to having more patients suffering from cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Great Lakes Healthcare Center, 21.77% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure tells you the percent of long-term residents which are administered antianxiety medication. These drugs are given to patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Great Lakes Healthcare Center, 12.89% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who are exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Great Lakes Healthcare Center, 91.48% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care patients that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Great Lakes Healthcare Center, 15.74% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care patients that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and using the bathroom. Many in the industry would argue this is a measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Great Lakes Healthcare Center, 15.7% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of residents who maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility can be a good sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Great Lakes Healthcare Center, 15.7 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Great Lakes Healthcare Center, 11.29 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Great Lakes Healthcare Center, 73.78% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of autonomy with activities of daily living typically correlates with higher quality rehabilitation services.
- Franciscan Health DyerAcute Care Hospitals 1.17 miles away24 Joliet St Dyer Indiana 46311Voluntary non-profit - Church(219) 865-2141
- Franciscan Health MunsterAcute Care Hospitals 3.26 miles away701 Superior Ave Munster Indiana 46321Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 922-4200
- Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.08 miles away901 Macarthur Blvd Munster Indiana 46321Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 836-1600
- Franciscan Health HammondAcute Care Hospitals 8.63 miles away5454 Hohman Ave Hammond Indiana 46320Voluntary non-profit - Church(219) 932-2300
- Franciscan Health Crown PointAcute Care Hospitals 9.62 miles away1201 S Main St Crown Point Indiana 46307Voluntary non-profit - Church(219) 757-6100
- St Catherine Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 10.32 miles away4321 Fir St East Chicago Indiana 46312Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 392-7004
- Methodist Hospitals IncAcute Care Hospitals 10.64 miles away600 Grant St Gary Indiana 46402Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 886-4000
- Advocate South Suburban HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.22 miles away17800 S Kedzie Ave Hazel Crest Illinois 60429Voluntary non-profit - Church(708) 799-8000
- Fmc - Dyer0.97 miles away2150 Gettler Street, Suite 105 Dyer Indiana 46311Dialysis Stations: 24 (219) 322-3710
- Munster Dialysis Center2.68 miles away10120 Calumet Avenue, Suite 102 Munster Indiana 46321Dialysis Stations: 20 (219) 924-3972
- Schererville Dialysis Center2.71 miles away1534 Us Highway 41 Schererville Indiana 46375Dialysis Stations: 17 (219) 322-5448
- Davita - St. John Dialysis4.09 miles away10033 Wicker Ave Saint John Indiana 46373Dialysis Stations: 16 (219) 365-5043
- Davita - Munster4.1 miles away9100 Calumet Ave. Munster Indiana 46321CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (219) 836-1299
- Fmc - Griffith5.03 miles away926 N. Broad Street Griffith Indiana 46319Dialysis Stations: 17 (219) 838-7777
- Fmc - Neomedica - Munster5.05 miles away314 Ridge Road Munster Indiana 46321Dialysis Stations: 16 (219) 836-9317
- Fmc - Liberty Dialysis - Hammond6.35 miles away7214 Calumet Avenue Hammond Indiana 46324CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (219) 228-4477