Located in Warren, Rhode Island, Grace Barker Nursing Center is one of only two facilities in the city. It looks like this is a very good facility. We gave this it an overall grade of B+, which is a well above average rating. We ranked this facility as one of the 50 best nursing homes in Rhode Island. This facility is stronger in some categories than others, but it didn't have any weak links in any of the major categories discussed below. More information about these categories can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Grace Barker Nursing Center
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
- Adult Day Care
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Warren senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
To pair with its strong overall grade, we gave this facility an impressive grade of A for our long-term care rating. Facilities that excel in this category typically provide patients with more supervision and stay on top of routine healthcare services. In addition to considering the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home administered the vaccine to 96.01329 percent of its residents. Vaccines are critical to keeping patients out of the hospital. Lastly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Adding to its impressive grades, we gave this nursing home an A for our inspections rating. Inspection ratings account for a host of factors included in a nursing home's inspection report. One key criteria we rely on is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with higher scores in this category tend to have few of these severe deficiencies. We weren't able to locate deficiency data for this facility. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Grace Barker Nursing Center?
This nursing home also received a strong nursing score. In fact, we awarded it an above average grade of B in this area. Our nursing grade assesses quite a few datapoints, most of which are based on quantities of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can many times be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Short-term Care Quality
The final category we analyzed was short-term care. We awarded this nursing home a solid score in this area, with a grade of C. Even though this wasn't on par with several of this nursing home's other scores, it is still not a major area of concern. Our short-term care scores are based on the facility's quantity of skilled skilled healthcare professionals. This means a vast scope of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, in addition to other types of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final datapoint we looked at in this area is the number of patients that ultimately returned home from the facility. We found that just 4.2 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Grace Barker Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Grace Barker Nursing Center, 7.72% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic gauges the percent of long-term patients which are suffering from pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are a solid measure of a facility's nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Grace Barker Nursing Center, 4.42% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who experienced falls resulting in major injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries may be an indication of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Grace Barker Nursing Center, 2.86% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of patients that have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely linked to lower quality nursing care. Additional nurse staffing minimizes the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. We want to point out that this metric is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have incongruent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Grace Barker Nursing Center, 19.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are prescribed to patients for a variety of conditions, such as dementia. Sadly, in limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Grace Barker Nursing Center, 15.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic is an indication of the percent of long-term residents who are given antianxiety drugs. These medications are generally used to treat patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Grace Barker Nursing Center, 2.02% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Grace Barker Nursing Center, 93.99% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Grace Barker Nursing Center, 16.08% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's could indicate deterioration of a resident's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Grace Barker Nursing Center, 17.13% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of patients that retained mobility levels over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a good sign for residents' health.
In Grace Barker Nursing Center, 1.33 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. There is typically a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Grace Barker Nursing Center, 17.13 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Grace Barker Nursing Center, 13.94 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Grace Barker Nursing Center, 77.03% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percent of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements.
- Saint Anne's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.62 miles away795 Middle Street Fall River Massachusetts 02721Proprietary(508) 674-5600
- Southcoast Hospital Group, IncAcute Care Hospitals 6.09 miles away363 Highland Avenue Fall River Massachusetts 02720Voluntary non-profit - Private(508) 679-3131
- Emma Pendleton Bradley HospitalPsychiatric 6.81 miles away1011 Veterans Memorial Parkway Riverside Rhode Island 02915Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 432-1000
- Rhode Island HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.26 miles away593 Eddy Street Providence Rhode Island 02903Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 444-4000
- Women & Infants Hospital of Rhode IslandAcute Care Hospitals 9.36 miles away101 Dudley Street Providence Rhode Island 02905Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 274-1100
- The Miriam HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.9 miles away164 Summit Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02906Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 793-2500
- Kent County Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.03 miles away455 Toll Gate Rd Warwick Rhode Island 02886Proprietary(401) 737-7010
- Roger Williams Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.3 miles away825 Chalkstone Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02908Proprietary(401) 456-2025
- Fall River Kidney Center LLC6.24 miles away48 Weaver Street Fall River Massachusetts 02720CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 41 (508) 677-4911
- Dialysis Center of Tiverton7.24 miles away22 Hurst Lane Tiverton Rhode Island 02878Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 624-4403
- Dialysis Center of East Providence7.52 miles away318 Waterman Avenue East Providence Rhode Island 02914CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 435-5200
- Dialysis Center of Rhode Island Hospital7.56 miles away950 Warren Avenue Suite 101 East Providence Rhode Island 02914Dialysis Stations: 12 (401) 606-1002
- The Dialysis Center of Rhode Island Hospital8.1 miles away22 Baker Street Providence Rhode Island 02905Dialysis Stations: 18 (401) 444-4440
- Fresenius Medical Care of Warwick9.61 miles away2814 Post Road Warwick Rhode Island 02886CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (401) 738-4050
- Dialysis Center of Providence9.62 miles away9 Plenty Street Providence Rhode Island 02907Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 273-4898
- Nna of Providence10.92 miles away125 Corliss Street Providence Rhode Island 02904CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (401) 521-9300