Located in Allentown, Pennsylvania, Good Shepherd Home Raker Center is one of nine nursing homes in the area. We awarded this facility a very impressive overall grade of A. As a result, it is among the highest graded nursing homes in Allentown, which features plenty of quality nursing homes. You really can not do much better than this place. Keep reading to find this nursing home's category grades, which also impressed us. You just can't do much better than a straight A report card.
Good Shepherd Home Raker Center
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
601 St John Street,
Allentown PA 18103
99.09% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
We also wanted to point out the fact that this nursing home earned near flawless inspections recently. We awarded them an impressive grade of A+ in this area. Perhaps the most important factor we look at in determining our inspection scores is deficiencies. Deficiencies can be found on a facility's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes with better scores in this category most likely dodged the most severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Compounding its top-shelf assessments in other areas, we awarded this nursing home a score of A for our long-term care rating. For long-term care residents, the primary goal is to maintain patients' quality of life and keep them safe. Once we looked at the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination record. This nursing home vaccinated 88.71795 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which happens to be somewhat below what we expected but still a decent percentage. While its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we hoped for, we were pleased to find place was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Good Shepherd Home Raker Center?
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we analyzed was short-term care. Contributing to its superb profile, this facility also excelled in that category. In fact, it received a of A in that area. Our short-term care scores are crucial for people requiring rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually mandates more skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing means a vast scope of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final datapoint we looked at in this area is the percentage of patients who ultimately returned home from the nursing home. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
In our last category, this facility also was awarded a very strong nursing grade, with a grade of A. This wrapped up a straight A profile. We assessed the licensure of nurses employed by the nursing home, in addition to the quantity of time the nurses were with patients, in calculating our score in this area. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can typically be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Good Shepherd Home Raker Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Good Shepherd Home Raker Center, 7.59% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic is a measure of the percent of long-term residents which developed pressure ulcers or bed sores. We use this statistic in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Good Shepherd Home Raker Center, 3.37% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents that sustained a major fall. Falls leading to serious injury are often caused by lower levels of patient supervision. Better nursing protocols minimizes the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Good Shepherd Home Raker Center, 1.9% of Patients had UTIs
This metric measures the percentage of long-term residents who had urinary tract infections. Although a higher rate infections may reflect poorly on a facility's cleanliness, it can be difficult to compare different facilities due to differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Good Shepherd Home Raker Center, 15.54% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric gauges the percent of long-term stay patients receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to confirm these medications are being used only where medically required. In some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Good Shepherd Home Raker Center, 19.74% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term patients which were given antianxiety drugs. These medications are generally prescribed to residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Good Shepherd Home Raker Center, 3.12% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term residents showing depressive symptoms. Some experts believe that this is a reasonable measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Good Shepherd Home Raker Center, 88.22% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Good Shepherd Home Raker Center, 14.84% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Good Shepherd Home Raker Center, 21.64% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percent of long-term stay patients who retained mobility levels. Some would argue that the ability to move around is vital to patients mental and physical well-being.
In Good Shepherd Home Raker Center, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding hospitalizations is key to preserving the physical health of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Good Shepherd Home Raker Center, 21.64 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Scores for Allentown, PA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-plus
Looking for more options? Allentown, Pennsylvania has 8 other nursing homes
- Sacred Heart HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.07 miles away421 Chew Street Allentown Pennsylvania 18102Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 776-4900
- Lehigh Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.32 miles away1200 South Cedar Crest Boulevard Allentown Pennsylvania 18105Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 402-2273
- St Luke's Hospital BethlehemAcute Care Hospitals 3.99 miles away801 Ostrum Street Bethlehem Pennsylvania 18015Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 954-4000
- St Luke's Hospital - Anderson CampusAcute Care Hospitals 10.11 miles away1872 St Luke's Blvd Easton Pennsylvania 18045Voluntary non-profit - Private(484) 503-3000
- St Luke's Quakertown HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.31 miles away1021 Park Avenue Quakertown Pennsylvania 18951Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 538-4500
- Easton HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.4 miles away250 South 21st Street Easton Pennsylvania 18042Proprietary(610) 250-4076
- Palmerton HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.42 miles away135 Lafayette Avenue Palmerton Pennsylvania 18071Voluntary non-profit - Other(610) 826-3141
- St Luke's Warren HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.81 miles away185 Roseberry St Phillipsburg New Jersey 08865Voluntary non-profit - Other(908) 847-6700
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Fogelsville1.44 miles away7310 Tilghman Street, Suite 100 Allentown Pennsylvania 18106Dialysis Stations: 13 (610) 395-1980
- Davita - St. Luke's Allentown Dialysis1.66 miles away1901 Hamilton St., Suite 100 Allentown Pennsylvania 18104Dialysis Stations: 4 (610) 435-2590
- Etowah Dialysis, LLC1.66 miles away1901 Hamilton St., Suite 200 Allentown Pennsylvania 18104Dialysis Stations: 4 (610) 776-1479
- Fresenius Kidney Care - South Allentown2.36 miles away2820 Mitchell Avenue Allentown Pennsylvania 18103Dialysis Stations: 16 (610) 797-7655
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Allentown3.01 miles away3136 Hamilton Boulevard Allentown Pennsylvania 18103CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (610) 435-6718
- Etowah Dialysis, LLC3.41 miles away1220 3rd Street Whitehall Pennsylvania 18052Dialysis Stations: 13 (610) 266-1706
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Whitehall3.6 miles away1320 Mickley Road Whitehall Pennsylvania 18052CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (610) 264-2228
- Davita - St. Luke's Bethlehem4.58 miles away1425 8th Avenue Bethlehem Pennsylvania 18018CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (484) 403-4304