Golden Years Homestead is an average-sized non-profit facility located in Fort Wayne, Indiana. Featuring an overall rating of D, this is a subpar nursing home. Fortunately, if you aren't impressed with this facility, there are countless other options available in this city. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this nursing home's report card is its impressive inspection grade. You can scroll down to find out about inspections and other category scores
Golden Years Homestead
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
Although we did not rate this nursing home favorably overall, we want to point out its relatively solid inspections in recent years. We gave it a B+ in this area, which is much better than its overall grade. Arguably the most important factor we look at in computing our inspection grades is deficiencies. Deficiencies are found on a nursing home's inspection reports. It is generally best to avoid places that have too many severe deficiencies. Fortunately, although this place had a few minor dings on its government inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means that the inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A few minor deficiencies aren't the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to the area of long-term care, this nursing home was given just a D in this category. Sadly, this proved to be its second best grade. For long-term care residents, the primary goal is to maintain residents' quality of life and keep them safe. After considering the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination records. We were optimistic to learn that this nursing home vaccinated 96.20596 percent of its residents for pneumonia. To our surprise, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this nursing home had less hospitalizations than the average nursing home. Sadly, a few of its other scores in this category were not as favorable as these.
Does this page answer your questions about Golden Years Homestead?
Short-term Care Quality
Sadly, this nursing home only earned a D for its short-term care score, which is not an impressive grade. Short-term care grades are based in part on the nursing home's quantity of skilled highly skilled professionals. This includes a broad scope of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, not to mention other types of therapy. Not surprisingly, we found that this place offers far less registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than a typical nursing home. The final statistic we assessed in this area is the number of residents that ultimately returned home from the facility. This facility struggled quite a bit in this metric as well, with just 4.8 percent of its patients returning home. Unfortunately, this was well below the national average.
Turning to the next area, we gave this nursing home a D in our nursing category. This is the nursing home's least impressive category rating. Nursing grades are based in large part on quality and quantity of nursing care. This nursing home provided a meager 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in computing our nursing ratings. This place performed well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Golden Years Homestead Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Golden Years Homestead, 7.63% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are often caused by patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care minimizes the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Golden Years Homestead, 3.89% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who sustained a fall resulting in serious injury. This is one of the statistics we use in calculating our nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Golden Years Homestead, 1.96% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are often caused by a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this metric could be skewed for certain facilities due to varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Golden Years Homestead, 13.37% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Golden Years Homestead, 21.6% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are given to residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Golden Years Homestead, 12.38% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay residents exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Golden Years Homestead, 91.56% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for seniors, making these vaccines vital to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Golden Years Homestead, 16.12% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Golden Years Homestead, 17.5% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of patients who maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Golden Years Homestead, 1.36 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Minimizing hospitalizations is important to maintaining the physical health of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Golden Years Homestead, 17.5 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Golden Years Homestead, 11.23 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Golden Years Homestead, 73.53% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term care residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of independence with ADL's typically correlates with higher quality rehabilitation.
Scores for Fort Wayne, IN
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Fort Wayne, Indiana has 25 other nursing homes
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.17 miles away700 Broadway Fort Wayne Indiana 46802Proprietary(260) 425-3000
- Dupont Hospital LLCAcute Care Hospitals 6.23 miles away2520 E Dupont Rd Fort Wayne Indiana 46825Proprietary(260) 416-3000
- Parkview Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.39 miles away11109 Parkview Plaza Drive Fort Wayne Indiana 46845Voluntary non-profit - Private(260) 266-1000
- Orthopaedic Hospital at Parkview North LLCAcute Care Hospitals 6.58 miles away11130 Parkview Circle Dr Fort Wayne Indiana 46845Voluntary non-profit - Private(260) 672-4050
- Lutheran Hospital of IndianaAcute Care Hospitals 11.93 miles away7950 W Jefferson Blvd Fort Wayne Indiana 46804Proprietary(260) 435-7001
- Dekalb HealthAcute Care Hospitals 18.04 miles away1316 E Seventh St Auburn Indiana 46706Voluntary non-profit - Private(260) 925-4600
- Community Memorial HospitalCritical Access Hospitals 19.83 miles away208 N Columbus St Hicksville Ohio 43526Government - Hospital District or Authority(419) 542-6692
- Davita - Summit City Dialysis3.18 miles away3233 East Coliseum Blvd. Fort Wayne Indiana 46805CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (260) 373-1599
- Fmc - Canal Dialysis3.51 miles away1308 Minnich Road New Haven Indiana 46774Dialysis Stations: 12 (260) 749-1004
- Fmc - Dupont Dialysis6.02 miles away10204 East Dupont Circle Drive Fort Wayne Indiana 46825CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (260) 489-9255
- Davita - Fort Wayne South6.94 miles away302 E. Pettit Ave. Fort Wayne Indiana 46806CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (260) 456-0451
- Davita-Fort Wayne North Dialysis7.21 miles away415 E Dupont Road Fort Wayne Indiana 46825Dialysis Stations: 13 (260) 637-0431
- Davita - Fort Wayne West9.08 miles away4916 Illinois Road, Suite 118 Fort Wayne Indiana 46804Dialysis Stations: 14 (260) 434-0483
- Randolph Dialysis, LLC9.25 miles away6721 Old Trail Road Fort Wayne Indiana 46809Dialysis Stations: 12 (260) 478-8582
- Davita - Appleseed10.01 miles away1833 Magnavox Way Fort Wayne Indiana 46804Dialysis Stations: 4 (260) 432-1036