Golden Years Homestead is in Fort Wayne, Indiana, which turns out to have more than 25 nursing homes. We gave this facility a C overall, which isn't a bad grade. This is comparable with the city grade in Fort Wayne, which is a B-. Based on our ratings, there are definitely far worse facilities out there. The best part of this place's profile is is its inspection score. We discuss inspections in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Golden Years Homestead
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Fort Wayne senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
The primary reason this ended up being a decent nursing home is that it earned an elite inspection grade. In fact, its inspection score was far superior to its overall grade. In our inspections category, we gave this facility an A-. Inspection grades weigh several factors, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these issues by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This nursing home was hit with 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none of the deficiencies were considered severe. This means that the government inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies to cause an imminent threat to resident health or safety. A few minor deficiencies should not stop you from considering a nursing home.
Short-term Care Quality
This facilities second best area was short-term care. We awarded it a B- in this area. This is basically a middle of the road score in this category. Our short-term care grades are crucial for people requiring rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically mandates more skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes a vast spectrum of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. Unfortunately, this facility was below average in terms of its quantity of registered nurse and physical therapy hours provided to its residents based on the metrics we assessed. The important question is whether this also affected quality of care. The last metric we considered in this area is the percentage of residents that were able to return home from the facility. We found that just 5.6 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Golden Years Homestead?
Another strength of this nursing home is its favorable grade in nursing. We awarded them one of our better scores in that area, with an impressive grade of D. When calculating our nursing grades, we look at both the number of hours nurses spend with residents and the skill levels of those nurses. This place averaged only 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis. This is an alarmingly low total. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing ratings. This facility performed well when it comes to avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls.
Long-term Care Quality
The last area we analyzed was long-term care, which ended up being a weak spot for this nursing home. We awarded this nursing home a grade of D in long-term care. Nursing homes that don't fare well in long-term care typically are not as well-staffed and are lagging in a few of the areas of routine personal care we assessed. In addition to looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. We discovered that this facility provided the vaccine to a relatively low 85.87571 percent of its patients, which is not a very encouraging sign. To our surprise, this place actually fared well at keeping its patients out of the hospital. It had just 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. This is its best feature in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Golden Years Homestead Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Golden Years Homestead, 6.15% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a barometer of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are routinely caused by patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Golden Years Homestead, 6.78% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic measures the percentage of long-term care patients who had a fall which resulted in severe injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls may be an indicator of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Golden Years Homestead, 7.67% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often linked to worse hygiene protocols. Additional nurse staffing can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Keep in mind that this datapoint is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Golden Years Homestead, 21.94% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who are prescribed antipsychotic medication. Increased usage of these drugs may indicate a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior in situations where such drugs aren't medically indicated. However, some facilities may need to rely more on these drugs due to having more patients with dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Golden Years Homestead, 20.34% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric indicates the percent of long-term care patients which were administered antianxiety drugs. These medications are typically given to residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Golden Years Homestead, 2.06% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term residents showing signs of depression. Some experts argue this is a reasonable measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Golden Years Homestead, 89.8% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Golden Years Homestead, 13.99% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay patients that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and bathing. Some experts would argue that this is a measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Golden Years Homestead, 13.8% of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients who remained mobile levels over time. Preserving mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Golden Years Homestead, 0.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Golden Years Homestead, 13.8% of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Golden Years Homestead, 2.75% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to gauge the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Golden Years Homestead, 57.62% of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of performance with activities of daily living often correlates with better rehabilitation.
Scores for Fort Wayne, IN
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Fort Wayne, Indiana has 25 other nursing homes
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.17 miles away700 Broadway Fort Wayne Indiana 46802Proprietary(260) 425-3000
- Dupont Hospital LLCAcute Care Hospitals 6.23 miles away2520 E Dupont Rd Fort Wayne Indiana 46825Proprietary(260) 416-3000
- Parkview Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.39 miles away11109 Parkview Plaza Drive Fort Wayne Indiana 46845Voluntary non-profit - Private(260) 266-1000
- Orthopaedic Hospital at Parkview North LLCAcute Care Hospitals 6.58 miles away11130 Parkview Circle Dr Fort Wayne Indiana 46845Voluntary non-profit - Private(260) 672-4050
- Lutheran Hospital of IndianaAcute Care Hospitals 11.93 miles away7950 W Jefferson Blvd Fort Wayne Indiana 46804Proprietary(260) 435-7001
- Dekalb HealthAcute Care Hospitals 18.04 miles away1316 E Seventh St Auburn Indiana 46706Voluntary non-profit - Private(260) 925-4600
- Community Memorial HospitalCritical Access Hospitals 19.83 miles away208 N Columbus St Hicksville Ohio 43526Government - Hospital District or Authority(419) 542-6692
- Davita - Summit City Dialysis3.18 miles away3233 East Coliseum Blvd. Fort Wayne Indiana 46805CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (260) 373-1599
- Fmc - Canal Dialysis3.51 miles away1308 Minnich Road New Haven Indiana 46774Dialysis Stations: 12 (260) 749-1004
- Fmc - Dupont Dialysis6.02 miles away10204 East Dupont Circle Drive Fort Wayne Indiana 46825CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (260) 489-9255
- Davita - Fort Wayne South6.94 miles away302 E. Pettit Ave. Fort Wayne Indiana 46806CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (260) 456-0451
- Davita-Fort Wayne North Dialysis7.21 miles away415 E Dupont Road Fort Wayne Indiana 46825Dialysis Stations: 13 (260) 637-0431
- Davita - Fort Wayne West9.08 miles away4916 Illinois Road, Suite 118 Fort Wayne Indiana 46804Dialysis Stations: 14 (260) 434-0483
- Randolph Dialysis, LLC9.25 miles away6721 Old Trail Road Fort Wayne Indiana 46809Dialysis Stations: 12 (260) 478-8582
- Davita - Appleseed10.01 miles away1833 Magnavox Way Fort Wayne Indiana 46804Dialysis Stations: 4 (260) 432-1036