Golden Years Homestead is an average-sized non-profit facility located in Fort Wayne, Indiana. Featuring an overall rating of D, this is a subpar nursing home. Fortunately, if you aren't impressed with this facility, there are countless other options available in this city. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this nursing home's report card is its impressive inspection grade. You can scroll down to find out about inspections and other category scores
Golden Years Homestead
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
3136 Goeglein Rd,
Fort Wayne IN 46815
89.18% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Although we did not rate this facility favorably overall, we want to point out its excellent government inspections in recent years. We awarded them an impressive grade of A- in this category. Perhaps the most important factor we consider in determining our inspection ratings is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a facility's recent inspection reports. It is generally best to avoid nursing homes that have a long list of deficiencies. Fortunately, although this facility had some minor dings on its report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those found in categories G through L. This tells you CMS didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A few minor deficiencies aren't necessarily the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's next highest score was long-term care, but even there it earned a grade of just D in that category. This still happens to be a relatively poor grade. When nursing homes receive a score in this range in this category it typically means the nursing home did not perform well in our measures relating to resident care. In addition to considering the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility provided the vaccine to 93.66391 percent of its patients, which is a few points lower than we anticipated. Surprisingly, this nursing home was actually decent at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. This is its best score in this category.
Does this page answer your questions about Golden Years Homestead?
We were surprised to find that this facility also excelled in the category of nursing. We awarded it a grade of D for that category, which is one of our highest grades. The nursing score features several datapoints. The most heavily weighted variable is the quantity of hours nurses spent with patients. This particular nursing home averaged a meager 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient daily. This number is significantly below the national average. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in computing our nursing scores. This facility fared well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls.
Short-term Care Quality
The last category we scored is short-term care. This facility was given a very poor grade of F in this area. In the category of short-term care, we try to assess indicators of a facility's rehabilitation services. We look at a facility's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses and physical and occupational therapists. With a grade in this range in this category, we were not surprised to discover this facility was below average in multiple staffing figures we looked at. The facility supplied significantly fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most nursing homes. Lastly, we looked at the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that just 4.9 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Golden Years Homestead Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Golden Years Homestead, 7.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by remaining in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Golden Years Homestead, 3.93% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents that suffered from a fall which resulted in serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Golden Years Homestead, 1.87% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections could be linked to insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Golden Years Homestead, 13.18% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint tells you the percent of long-term stay residents which are administered antipsychotic medication. Increased usage of these drugs may mean a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents in situations where such medications aren't medically indicated. However, some facilities need to rely on these medications due to having more residents suffering from Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Golden Years Homestead, 21.77% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are commonly used to treat residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Golden Years Homestead, 12.89% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who are showing signs of depression. Higher levels of depression could be a sign worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Golden Years Homestead, 91.48% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for seniors, making these vaccines critical to patient health.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Golden Years Homestead, 15.74% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's could indicate deterioration of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Golden Years Homestead, 15.7% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of residents that retained mobility levels over time. Preserving mobility is often a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Golden Years Homestead, 1.46 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Golden Years Homestead, 15.7 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. There is a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Golden Years Homestead, 11.29 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to gauge the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Golden Years Homestead, 73.78% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percent of short-term residents who saw functional improvements.
Scores for Fort Wayne, IN
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Fort Wayne, Indiana has 25 other nursing homes
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.17 miles away700 Broadway Fort Wayne Indiana 46802Proprietary(260) 425-3000
- Dupont Hospital LLCAcute Care Hospitals 6.23 miles away2520 E Dupont Rd Fort Wayne Indiana 46825Proprietary(260) 416-3000
- Parkview Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.39 miles away11109 Parkview Plaza Drive Fort Wayne Indiana 46845Voluntary non-profit - Private(260) 266-1000
- Orthopaedic Hospital at Parkview North LLCAcute Care Hospitals 6.58 miles away11130 Parkview Circle Dr Fort Wayne Indiana 46845Voluntary non-profit - Private(260) 672-4050
- Lutheran Hospital of IndianaAcute Care Hospitals 11.93 miles away7950 W Jefferson Blvd Fort Wayne Indiana 46804Proprietary(260) 435-7001
- Dekalb HealthAcute Care Hospitals 18.04 miles away1316 E Seventh St Auburn Indiana 46706Voluntary non-profit - Private(260) 925-4600
- Community Memorial HospitalCritical Access Hospitals 19.83 miles away208 N Columbus St Hicksville Ohio 43526Government - Hospital District or Authority(419) 542-6692
- Davita - Summit City Dialysis3.18 miles away3233 East Coliseum Blvd. Fort Wayne Indiana 46805CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (260) 373-1599
- Fmc - Canal Dialysis3.51 miles away1308 Minnich Road New Haven Indiana 46774Dialysis Stations: 12 (260) 749-1004
- Fmc - Dupont Dialysis6.02 miles away10204 East Dupont Circle Drive Fort Wayne Indiana 46825CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (260) 489-9255
- Davita - Fort Wayne South6.94 miles away302 E. Pettit Ave. Fort Wayne Indiana 46806CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (260) 456-0451
- Davita-Fort Wayne North Dialysis7.21 miles away415 E Dupont Road Fort Wayne Indiana 46825Dialysis Stations: 13 (260) 637-0431
- Davita - Fort Wayne West9.08 miles away4916 Illinois Road, Suite 118 Fort Wayne Indiana 46804Dialysis Stations: 14 (260) 434-0483
- Randolph Dialysis, LLC9.25 miles away6721 Old Trail Road Fort Wayne Indiana 46809Dialysis Stations: 12 (260) 478-8582
- Davita - Appleseed10.01 miles away1833 Magnavox Way Fort Wayne Indiana 46804Dialysis Stations: 4 (260) 432-1036