Brickyard Healthcare – Brookview Care Center is a large nursing home located in Indianapolis, Indiana. This facility received a rock bottom overall rating based on the data we looked at. Based on our assessment, you would be better off to steer clear of this nursing home. We would not blame you if you are ready to stop reading and find another nursing home. However, if you want to learn more about this place's category grades, we will discuss inspections in the next section.
Brickyard Healthcare – Brookview Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
While we graded this facility incredibly poorly overall, it received a fairly respectable inspection report this year. As a result, it received a decent grade in that category with a score of B-. Our inspection scores are based on many datapoints found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are a key item to look for on these inspections. Severe deficiencies indicate a risk to resident safety. This facility received 8 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe. This means that CMS didn't consider any of these deficiencies an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A few minor deficiencies are not the end of the world.
This facility excelled in the area of nursing, where it received an B-. Few facilities performed better in this area. We looked at the qualifications of nurses employed by the facility, as well as the number of hours those nurses spent with residents, in calculating our score in this area. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this place excelled in some of the quality measures we assessed. It performed well in terms of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers.
Does this page answer your questions about Brickyard Healthcare – Brookview Care Center?
Short-term Care Quality
We were also stunned to discover that this nursing home received a somewhat respectable short-term care score this year. We awarded it a grade of C in this category. In computing our short-term care ratings, we look at the nursing home's levels of highly skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists occupational therapists and other types of therapists. This area is frequently a solid measure of the nursing home's rehabilitation services. We were surprised to find that this nursing home was below average in the two key staffing areas we focus on. It supplied fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other nursing homes. It is still important to determine whether this is adversely impacting the quality of care. The last datapoint we assessed in this category is the number of residents who ultimately returned home from the nursing home. We found that just 5.5 percent of this facility's patients returned home. This figure was below average.
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on to the final area, this nursing home did not perform well here either. Due to a poor grade of F in long-term care, this is just about as terrible as it gets. Facilities that do not fare well in long-term care often do not provide as much nursing care and also may be lagging in a few of the areas of routine personal care we looked at. Once we assessed the quantity of nursing care, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination data. Candidly, we were a bit bothered by the fact that this facility vaccinated just 57.75862 percent of its patients against pneumonia. To our surprise, this facility was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this facility had less hospitalizations than many nursing homes. This is its best feature in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Brickyard Healthcare – Brookview Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Brickyard Healthcare – Brookview Care Center, 7.63% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are routinely caused by patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Brickyard Healthcare – Brookview Care Center, 3.89% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents that have had a major fall. Falls resulting in major injuries are routinely the result of lower quality nursing care. More supervision can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Brickyard Healthcare – Brookview Care Center, 1.96% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are routinely linked to worse hygiene protocols. However, this datapoint can be misleading for some facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Brickyard Healthcare – Brookview Care Center, 13.37% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that are prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Increased usage of these drugs may suggest a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents in situations where such drugs aren't medically required. However, some facilities may need to rely more on these drugs due to having more patients with cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Brickyard Healthcare – Brookview Care Center, 21.6% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint tells you the percent of long-term residents taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Brickyard Healthcare – Brookview Care Center, 12.38% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who are demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Brickyard Healthcare – Brookview Care Center, 91.56% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines critical to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Brickyard Healthcare – Brookview Care Center, 16.12% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Brickyard Healthcare – Brookview Care Center, 17.5% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients that maintained mobility over time. Preserving mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
In Brickyard Healthcare – Brookview Care Center, 1.36 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. There is typically a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Brickyard Healthcare – Brookview Care Center, 17.5 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Brickyard Healthcare – Brookview Care Center, 11.23 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Brickyard Healthcare – Brookview Care Center, 73.53% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Indianapolis, IN
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Indianapolis, Indiana has 45 other nursing homes
- Community Hospital EastAcute Care Hospitals 1.8 miles away1500 N Ritter Ave Indianapolis Indiana 46219Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 355-5411
- Neurodiagnostic InstitutePsychiatric 1.89 miles away5435 E 16th St Indianapolis Indiana 46218Government - State(317) 941-4000
- Indiana University HealthAcute Care Hospitals 6.54 miles away1701 N Senate Blvd Indianapolis Indiana 46202Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 962-5900
- Eskenazi HealthAcute Care Hospitals 7.05 miles away720 Eskenazi Avenue Indianapolis Indiana 46202Government - Local(317) 880-4818
- Community Hospital NorthAcute Care Hospitals 7.18 miles away7150 Clearvista Dr Indianapolis Indiana 46256Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 621-5335
- Franciscan Health IndianapolisAcute Care Hospitals 10.49 miles away8111 S Emerson Ave Indianapolis Indiana 46237Voluntary non-profit - Church(317) 528-5000
- St Vincent Hospital & Health ServicesAcute Care Hospitals 11.37 miles away2001 W 86th St Indianapolis Indiana 46260Voluntary non-profit - Church(317) 338-7000
- St Vincent Heart Center of Indiana LLCAcute Care Hospitals 11.56 miles away10580 N Meridian St Indianapolis Indiana 46290Proprietary(317) 583-5000
- Fmc - Irvington0.43 miles away1740 Industry Drive Suite A Indianapolis Indiana 46219Dialysis Stations: 6 (317) 353-8207
- Fmc - Indianapolis-East0.55 miles away6701 E. 21st Street Indianapolis Indiana 46219CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (317) 358-1037
- Davita - Indy East1.43 miles away1208 N Arlington Ave Indianapolis Indiana 46219CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (317) 353-6315
- Fmc-Indianapolis Northeast4.33 miles away9140 Harrison Park Drive Indianapolis Indiana 46216Dialysis Stations: 13 (317) 543-5128
- Fmc-Indianapolis Midtown5.02 miles away3007 Dr Andrew J Brown Avenue Indianapolis Indiana 46205CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (317) 924-8104
- Davita Fall Creek5.83 miles away3820 N College Avenue Indianapolis Indiana 46205Dialysis Stations: 20 (317) 926-5125
- Fmc - Shadeland Station6.11 miles away7155 Shadeland Station Ste 130 Indianapolis Indiana 46256CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (317) 578-8401
- Fmc - Indianapolis6.11 miles away2480 North Meridian Street Indianapolis Indiana 46208CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 48 (317) 923-4520