Brickyard Healthcare – Brookview Care Center is a large nursing home located in Indianapolis, Indiana. This facility received an uninspiring overall grade of D in our grading scheme. Based on our assessment, we'd be very reluctant to recommend this place. We wouldn't blame you if you are ready to stop reading and find another facility. However, if you want to learn more about this nursing home's category grades, we will discuss inspections in the next paragraph.
Brickyard Healthcare – Brookview Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
7145 E 21st Street,
Indianapolis IN 46219
52.5% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
While we gave this nursing home a bad overall grade, we awarded it a fairly respectable score in the category of inspections, where we gave it a B-. This was better than its other categories. Our inspection scores account for several factors found on a nursing home's inspection report. One key criteria we weigh heavily is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Fortunately, although this nursing home had a few minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you that CMS didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A few minor deficiencies are not the end of the world.
We awarded this facility a respectable grade in the area of nursing as well, with a grade of B-. Nursing grades are primarily tied to the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This particular nursing home provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis. This figure is far below average. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics. While this nursing home got dinged a bit for its nursing hours per resident, it actually excelled in a few of these quality-based measures. With fewer than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it did well in this metric. This is often a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can frequently be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as employing a system of turning a patient more frequently.
Does this page answer your questions about Brickyard Healthcare – Brookview Care Center?
Short-term Care Quality
We also awarded this nursing home a decent grade in the area of short-term care, with a C. In the area of short-term care, we attempt to qualify measures of a nursing home's rehabilitation services. We analyze the facility's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses and physical, occupational and other therapists. We were surprised to find that this nursing home was below average in the two key staffing areas we focus on. In fact, it supplied fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other facilities. It is important to determine whether this also correlates to a lower quality of care. Finally, we considered the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 0 percent of this facility's patients returned home. At most facilities, closer to half of their patients are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Long-term Care Quality
The last area we analyzed was long-term care, where this facility received a poor score in this area also. It received a lowly F for this area, which is obviously somewhat alarming. When nursing homes receive this kind of score in long-term care it is a bad sign for resident care and it may indicate that the facility is not as well-staffed with nurses and aids. Once we assessed the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination record. We were somewhat surprised to discover that this nursing home vaccinated a relatively low 52.789703 percent of its residents for pneumonia. To our surprise, this facility was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this facility has fewer hospitalizations than the majority of nursing homes. This was its best feature in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Brickyard Healthcare – Brookview Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Brickyard Healthcare – Brookview Care Center, 7.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of long-term stay residents which suffered from pressure ulcers . We use this statistic in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Brickyard Healthcare – Brookview Care Center, 3.93% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who have suffered falls which caused severe injury. This is one of the statistics we use in determining nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Brickyard Healthcare – Brookview Care Center, 1.87% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely associated with a facility with lower levels of hygiene. However, this datapoint could be skewed for some nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Brickyard Healthcare – Brookview Care Center, 13.18% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are prescribed to patients for a variety of medical conditions, such as dementia. Unfortunately, in limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Brickyard Healthcare – Brookview Care Center, 21.77% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of long-term stay residents who were given antianxiety drugs. These medications are used to treat patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Brickyard Healthcare – Brookview Care Center, 12.89% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Brickyard Healthcare – Brookview Care Center, 91.48% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Brickyard Healthcare – Brookview Care Center, 15.74% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's could be a sign of the erosion of a patient's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Brickyard Healthcare – Brookview Care Center, 15.7% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who maintained mobility. Many would argue that mobility is critical to residents' health.
In Brickyard Healthcare – Brookview Care Center, 1.46 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Brickyard Healthcare – Brookview Care Center, 15.7 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Brickyard Healthcare – Brookview Care Center, 11.29 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Brickyard Healthcare – Brookview Care Center, 73.78% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percent of short-term residents that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many in the industry believe this is a measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation services.
Scores for Indianapolis, IN
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Indianapolis, Indiana has 45 other nursing homes
- Community Hospital EastAcute Care Hospitals 1.8 miles away1500 N Ritter Ave Indianapolis Indiana 46219Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 355-5411
- Neurodiagnostic InstitutePsychiatric 1.89 miles away5435 E 16th St Indianapolis Indiana 46218Government - State(317) 941-4000
- Indiana University HealthAcute Care Hospitals 6.54 miles away1701 N Senate Blvd Indianapolis Indiana 46202Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 962-5900
- Eskenazi HealthAcute Care Hospitals 7.05 miles away720 Eskenazi Avenue Indianapolis Indiana 46202Government - Local(317) 880-4818
- Community Hospital NorthAcute Care Hospitals 7.18 miles away7150 Clearvista Dr Indianapolis Indiana 46256Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 621-5335
- Franciscan Health IndianapolisAcute Care Hospitals 10.49 miles away8111 S Emerson Ave Indianapolis Indiana 46237Voluntary non-profit - Church(317) 528-5000
- St Vincent Hospital & Health ServicesAcute Care Hospitals 11.37 miles away2001 W 86th St Indianapolis Indiana 46260Voluntary non-profit - Church(317) 338-7000
- St Vincent Heart Center of Indiana LLCAcute Care Hospitals 11.56 miles away10580 N Meridian St Indianapolis Indiana 46290Proprietary(317) 583-5000
- Fmc - Irvington0.43 miles away1740 Industry Drive Suite A Indianapolis Indiana 46219Dialysis Stations: 6 (317) 353-8207
- Fmc - Indianapolis-East0.55 miles away6701 E. 21st Street Indianapolis Indiana 46219CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (317) 358-1037
- Davita - Indy East1.43 miles away1208 N Arlington Ave Indianapolis Indiana 46219CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (317) 353-6315
- Fmc-Indianapolis Northeast4.33 miles away9140 Harrison Park Drive Indianapolis Indiana 46216Dialysis Stations: 13 (317) 543-5128
- Fmc-Indianapolis Midtown5.02 miles away3007 Dr Andrew J Brown Avenue Indianapolis Indiana 46205CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (317) 924-8104
- Davita Fall Creek5.83 miles away3820 N College Avenue Indianapolis Indiana 46205Dialysis Stations: 20 (317) 926-5125
- Fmc - Shadeland Station6.11 miles away7155 Shadeland Station Ste 130 Indianapolis Indiana 46256CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (317) 578-8401
- Fmc - Indianapolis6.11 miles away2480 North Meridian Street Indianapolis Indiana 46208CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 48 (317) 923-4520