Golden Estates Rehabilitation Center is located in San Antonio, Texas, which is one of the largest metropolitan areas in the nation. We awarded this nursing home an overall grade of B. A grade of this caliber requires solid scores in most areas. In fact, we thought highly enough of this nursing home to rate it ahead of most of the nursing homes in San Antonio. This facility's strong report card was highlighted by its inspection reports, which is addressed in the next section.
Golden Estates Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Home Making
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Respiratory Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
This nursing home received a strong overall score as described above, but we especially wanted to point out its excellent health inspections in recent years. We awarded it an impressive grade of A in this category. Inspection ratings account for a host of factors included in a nursing home's inspection reports. One key criteria we look at is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Places with higher scores in this category typically have very few of these severe deficiencies. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Even some of the best nursing homes receive an occasional ding on their inspection report.
The second highest grade we gave this nursing home in any area came in the category of nursing, where we gave it a grade of B-. Our nursing rating is mostly tied to the facility's level of nurse staffing. This particular facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis. This figure is far below the national average. Lastly, our nursing scores also consider quality-based measures, such as preventing major falls. Despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours per resident, this nursing home performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is usually an indicator that a nursing home has sufficient quality controls in place. Many falls could be avoided if a facility supplies enough nurses aids to assist its residents.
Does this page answer your questions about Golden Estates Rehabilitation Center?
Short-term Care Quality
The next highest category we awarded this facility in any category came in the category of short-term care, where we gave it a grade of B-. Short-term care grades are meaningful for prospective residents seeking rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually mandates more highly-skilled nursing services. This means a wide scope of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. It does not appear that this nursing home submitted information about its staffing of registered nurses or physical therapists. The last item we looked at in this area is the number of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We discovered that just 0 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home, which is actually below average.
Long-term Care Quality
Switching gears to the final category, this nursing home was awarded a B- for long-term care, which is a respectable grade. Our long-term care ratings are more important for residents in need of more conventional assistance related to personal care. In addition to assessing the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. Fortunately, this nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its residents, which is a very respectable total. Lastly, this place was also able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Golden Estates Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Golden Estates Rehabilitation Center, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are routinely the result of residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Golden Estates Rehabilitation Center, 3.33% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients which sustained falls resulting in major injury. This is one of the statistics we use in determining nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Golden Estates Rehabilitation Center, 1.51% of Patients had UTIs
This is an indication of the percent of long-term residents which had a UTI. UTI's could be an indicator of a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this metric can be misleading for certain facilities due to different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Golden Estates Rehabilitation Center, 11.48% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are administered to patients for many medical conditions, including cognitive disorders. Sadly, in some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Golden Estates Rehabilitation Center, 22.56% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic gauges the percent of long-term patients receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Golden Estates Rehabilitation Center, 4.81% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients exhibiting signs of depression. High levels of depression may be a sign a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Golden Estates Rehabilitation Center, 94.64% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Golden Estates Rehabilitation Center, 17.1% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay residents that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Golden Estates Rehabilitation Center, 16.36% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percent of long-term residents who remained mobile levels. Some experts argue that the ability to move around is vital to patients mental and physical well-being.
In Golden Estates Rehabilitation Center, 1.67 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Minimizing hospitalizations is important to preserving the physical well-being of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Golden Estates Rehabilitation Center, 16.36 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Golden Estates Rehabilitation Center, 11.4 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. There is a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Golden Estates Rehabilitation Center, 66.86% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percent of short-term patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some experts argue this is a reliable measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for San Antonio, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? San Antonio, Texas has 61 other nursing homes
- Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.63 miles away7700 Floyd Curl Dr San Antonio Texas 78229Proprietary(210) 575-4000
- University Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 2.94 miles away4502 Medical Dr San Antonio Texas 78229Government - Hospital District or Authority(210) 358-2637
- Christus Santa Rosa Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.8 miles away2827 Babcock Road San Antonio Texas 78229Voluntary non-profit - Church(210) 704-3342
- Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.45 miles away111 Dallas Street San Antonio Texas 78205Proprietary(210) 297-8256
- Children's Hospital of San AntonioChildrens 4.56 miles away333 N Santa Rosa St San Antonio Texas 78207Voluntary non-profit - Private(210) 704-3342
- Methodist Ambulatory Surgery Hospital NwAcute Care Hospitals 4.61 miles away9150 Huebner Rd Suite 100 San Antonio Texas 78240Proprietary(210) 575-5000
- Foundation Surgical Hospital of San AntonioAcute Care Hospitals 4.61 miles away9522 Huebner Road San Antonio Texas 78240Proprietary(210) 478-5400
- Nix Health Care SystemAcute Care Hospitals 4.96 miles away414 Navarro, Suite 600 San Antonio Texas 78205Proprietary(210) 271-2188
- Usrc Medical Center, LLC2.12 miles away4511 Nw Loop 410 San Antonio Texas 78229CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (210) 541-0273
- Kidney Treatment Center Northwest Pa2.83 miles away3939 Medical Drive Suite 110 San Antonio Texas 78229Dialysis Stations: 24 (210) 692-3075
- University Health System Children's Kidney Center2.97 miles away4502 Medical Drive Ms 111-1 San Antonio Texas 78229Dialysis Stations: 8 (210) 358-8309
- Rosedale Kidney Disease Center3.33 miles away411 North General Mcmullen San Antonio Texas 78237CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (210) 433-6991
- Northwest Medical Center Dialysis3.48 miles away5284 Medical Drive Suite 135 San Antonio Texas 78229CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (210) 616-9699
- Bma Northwest Bexar County3.59 miles away5131 Medical Drive Suite 110 San Antonio Texas 78229CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 37 (210) 338-7742
- San Antonio West Dialysis3.99 miles away4530 Callaghan Road San Antonio Texas 78228CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (210) 431-9048
- Rivercenter Dialysis4.04 miles away1123 N. Main Street Suite 150 San Antonio Texas 78212CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (210) 270-7887