Golden Crest Nursing Centre is a facility located in Providence, Rhode Island, a city with 203,571 people. This nursing home was awarded an overall grade of B-, which is a good rating. In a city without a great selection of nursing homes, we rated this facility ahead of most of the nursing homes in Providence. You also may want to review this nursing home's category grades below. We discuss short-term care in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Golden Crest Nursing Centre
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Providence senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Oncology Care
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Top Nursing Home in Rhode Island Awards 2019
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
We gave this nursing home one of our better grades in the area of short-term care, where it received an A-. This is notably better than the facility's overall grade, which was decent but not in the elite range. Our short-term care ratings are considered to be most critical for those requiring rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation generally requires higher levels of highly-skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes not merely nursing services, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other types of therapy. Unfortunately, we weren't able to track down information on registered nurse or physical therapy staffing for this nursing home. Finally, we assessed the percentage of residents who were able to return home from this facility. We found that 6.8 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
This facility also earned a strong inspection score. Inspection grades are based on the nursing home's recent health inspections. We gave this facility a B in this area. Perhaps the most important factor we look at in calculating our inspection ratings is deficiencies. Deficiencies are found on a facility's recent inspection reports. Facilities with better grades in this category most likely avoided the more severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Even some of the best nursing homes receive an occasional ding on their inspection report.
Does this page answer your questions about Golden Crest Nursing Centre?
Long-term Care Quality
The next area we analyzed is long-term care. In that category, we awarded this facility a B-. Long-term care ratings are based in part on a nursing home's volume of care. This includes a broad scope of personal care services, ranging from help with activities of daily living to routine healthcare services. In addition to considering the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. We found that this nursing home administered the vaccine to a relatively low 85.2 percent of its patients, which is well below average. Nevertheless, this facility keeps its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
The final category we looked at was nursing. For this category, we gave this nursing home a grade of B-. The nursing score is based on quite a few components, however, the paramount one is the number of nurse hours spent with patients. This place provides only 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident each day. This is a somewhat concerning figure which is well below average. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures. While this facility got dinged a bit for nursing hours, it actually excelled in a few of these quality measures. With less than five percent of its patients experiencing pressure ulcers, it performed well in this statistic. This is generally an indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as by employing a system of moving patients more frequently.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Golden Crest Nursing Centre Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Golden Crest Nursing Centre, 8.02% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term care residents who are suffering from new or worsened pressure ulcers . We use this statistic in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Golden Crest Nursing Centre, 4.4% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents who suffered from a fall which resulted in major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Golden Crest Nursing Centre, 1.01% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many experts to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely associated with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this metric could be misleading for certain nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Golden Crest Nursing Centre, 25.8% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients that are administered antipsychotic drugs. Excessive reliance on these medications may suggest a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents in situations where such medications aren't medically required. Nevertheless, some nursing homes need to rely on these medications due to an increased number of patients with Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Golden Crest Nursing Centre, 19.25% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric indicates the percentage of long-term stay residents which are prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are commonly used to treat residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Golden Crest Nursing Centre, 2.58% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents exhibiting depressive symptoms. Some experts believe that this is a reasonable measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Golden Crest Nursing Centre, 86.26% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines vital to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Golden Crest Nursing Centre, 16.81% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and continence.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Golden Crest Nursing Centre, 23.08% of Residents
This metric measures the percentage of long-term patients who maintained mobility. Many believe that mobility is important for residents' physical and mental health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Golden Crest Nursing Centre, 23.08% of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Golden Crest Nursing Centre, 15.31% of Patients
This is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to assess the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Golden Crest Nursing Centre, 78.04% of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of autonomy with activities of daily living typically correlates with successful rehabilitation.
Scores for Providence, RI
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Providence, Rhode Island has 5 other nursing homes
- Our Lady of Fatima HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.48 miles away200 High Service Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02904Proprietary(401) 456-3000
- Roger Williams Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.69 miles away825 Chalkstone Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02908Proprietary(401) 456-2025
- The Miriam HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.62 miles away164 Summit Avenue Providence Rhode Island 02906Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 793-2500
- Women & Infants Hospital of Rhode IslandAcute Care Hospitals 3.7 miles away101 Dudley Street Providence Rhode Island 02905Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 274-1100
- Rhode Island HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.72 miles away593 Eddy Street Providence Rhode Island 02903Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 444-4000
- Emma Pendleton Bradley HospitalPsychiatric 6.07 miles away1011 Veterans Memorial Parkway Riverside Rhode Island 02915Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 432-1000
- Landmark Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.68 miles away115 Cass Avenue Woonsocket Rhode Island 02895Voluntary non-profit - Private(401) 769-4100
- Kent County Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.74 miles away455 Toll Gate Rd Warwick Rhode Island 02886Proprietary(401) 737-7010
- Davita North Providence Renal Center0.61 miles away1635 Mineral Spring Ave. Providence Rhode Island 02904Dialysis Stations: 18 (401) 354-5340
- Nna of Providence2.06 miles away125 Corliss Street Providence Rhode Island 02904CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (401) 521-9300
- Dialysis Center of Johnston3.39 miles away1526 Atwood Avenue Johnston Rhode Island 02919CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 521-0400
- Nna - Pawtucket3.66 miles away79 Division Street Pawtucket Rhode Island 02860CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (401) 723-9995
- Dialysis Center of Providence3.68 miles away9 Plenty Street Providence Rhode Island 02907Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 273-4898
- Dialysis Center of Pawtucket4.45 miles away201 Armistice Boulevard Pawtucket Rhode Island 02860CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (401) 722-3313
- The Dialysis Center of Rhode Island Hospital4.88 miles away22 Baker Street Providence Rhode Island 02905Dialysis Stations: 18 (401) 444-4440
- Dialysis Center of Rhode Island Hospital5.43 miles away950 Warren Avenue Suite 101 East Providence Rhode Island 02914Dialysis Stations: 12 (401) 606-1002