Glenhaven Healthcare is one of seven available facilities in Glendale, California. We gave this nursing home an overall grade of D. A grade in this range typically indicates some concerning datapoints. Based on our ratings, this nursing home may not be the best fit for most prospective residents. The only positive thing we can really say about this place is that it didn't receive any F's in any of the categories we assessed. Additional information about these categories can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Note: Glenhaven Healthcare has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
Get pricing and details on Glendale senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
While we did not have many positive things to say about this facility's overall score, it earned a somewhat respectable inspection report this year. As a result, it received a decent grade in that area with a B-. Inspection ratings take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these items by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This nursing home was assessed 9 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered to be severe. This indicates that the government inspectors did not deem any of these deficiencies to create an immediate risk to resident safety or health. Finally, CMS cited this nursing home for possible abuse or neglect. Hopefully, its performance improves in the future, but until then we simply can't recommend this facility.
One of the other reasons we graded this nursing home so highly is that it received a very impressive nursing grade. In that area, we gave this facility a grade of B-. The nursing score assesses many components, however, the most important consideration is the level of nurse hours per patient per week. This nursing home averages just 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low figure. Lastly, our nursing scores also consider quality-based measures, such as preventing major falls. Despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours, this place actually performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is typically a reliable indicator that a nursing home has sufficient quality controls in place. Some falls can be avoided if a facility supplies enough nurses to assist its patients.
Does this page answer your questions about Glenhaven Healthcare?
Short-term Care Quality
The third category we assessed was short-term care. In that category, we awarded this nursing home a solid grade of B-. In the area of short-term care, we attempt to assess indicators of a nursing home's rehabilitation. We analyze a facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses and physical, occupational and other therapists. We found that this nursing home was below average in the two key staffing areas we focus on. It offered fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other facilities. It is still important to determine whether this is adversely impacting the quality of care. Lastly, we considered the percentage of residents who who were able to eventually return home from this nursing home. We found that 0 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home. This figure was actually quite a bit below the national average.
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we rated was long-term care. We gave this facility a grade of B- in that area. Our long-term care scores are meaningful for individuals in need of non-healthcare services such as personal care. Once we assessed the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we turned to the facility's vaccination records. We were optimistic to find that this nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its residents for pneumonia. This nursing home was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Glenhaven Healthcare Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Glenhaven Healthcare, 15% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are often caused by residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Glenhaven Healthcare, 0% of Patients had Serious Falls
This gauges the percent of long-term care residents which had falls which resulted in major injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls may be an indication of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Glenhaven Healthcare, 0% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients that have had a urinary tract infection. These infections are linked to poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Glenhaven Healthcare, 1.01% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents given antipsychotic medications. These drugs may be used to treat a variety of conditions, such as cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Glenhaven Healthcare, 17.69% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were given antianxiety medications. These drugs are used to treat residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Glenhaven Healthcare, 19.53% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who are demonstrating depressive symptoms. Many believe that this is a measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Glenhaven Healthcare, 100% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Glenhaven Healthcare, 5.71% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and using the bathroom. Many believe this is a reliable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Glenhaven Healthcare, 5.92% of Residents
This is the percent of residents who were able to retain mobility over time. Retaining mobility can be a good sign for residents' health.
In Glenhaven Healthcare, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care. There is typically a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Glenhaven Healthcare, 5.92% of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Glenhaven Healthcare, 0% of Patients
This metric measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Glenhaven Healthcare, 71.9% of Resident
This is the percent of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Glendale, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Glendale, California has 6 other nursing homes
- Glendale Mem Hospital & Hlth CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.4 miles away1420 S Central Ave Glendale California 91204Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 502-1900
- Glendale Adventist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.85 miles away1509 E Wilson Terrace Glendale California 91206Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 409-8202
- Children's Hosp of Los AngelesChildrens 3.08 miles away4650 Sunset Blvd, Ms 108 Los Angeles California 90027Voluntary non-profit - Private(323) 669-2164
- Hollywood Presbyterian Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.22 miles away1300 N Vermont Ave Los Angeles California 90027Proprietary(213) 413-3000
- Providence Saint Joseph Medical CtrAcute Care Hospitals 4.42 miles away501 South Buena Vista Street Burbank California 91505Voluntary non-profit - Church(818) 843-5111
- Southern California Hospital at HollywoodAcute Care Hospitals 4.63 miles away6245 De Longpre Ave Los Angeles California 90028Proprietary(323) 462-2271
- Saint Vincent Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.93 miles away2131 W 3rd St Los Angeles California 90057Voluntary non-profit - Church(213) 484-7111
- Usc Verdugo Hills HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.46 miles away1812 Verdugo Blvd Glendale California 91209Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 790-7100
- Fmc-West Glendale0.31 miles away623 South Central Avenue Glendale California 91204Dialysis Stations: 24 (818) 240-1065
- Davita-West Glendale Dialysis0.45 miles away1427 S. Glendale Avenue Glendale California 91205CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (818) 241-0016
- Davita-Glendale Dialysis0.82 miles away1000 E. Palmer Avenue Glendale California 91205CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (818) 241-6382
- Davita-North Glendale1.84 miles away1505 Wilson Terrace, Suite 190 Glendale California 91206CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (818) 637-8348
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital Medical Ctr.- Sunset2.22 miles awayDialysis Unit 4700 Sunset Blvd., 2nd Floor Los Angeles California 90027CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (323) 783-5580
- Childrens Hospital of Los Angeles2.22 miles awayDivision of Nephrology (Dialysis) 4650 Sunset Blvd., Box 40 Los Angeles California 90027Dialysis Stations: 10 (323) 361-4788
- Davita-Hollywood Dialysis Center3.1 miles away5108 Sunset Blvd. Los Angeles California 90027CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (323) 913-4010
- u.s. Renal Care Verdugo Hills Dialysis3.29 miles away1808 Verdugo Blvd., Suite 200 Glendale California 91208Dialysis Stations: 25 (818) 790-0712