Located in Glendora, California, Glendora Canyon Transitional Care Unit is one of five available facilities in the city. This nursing home received an overall grade of D in our grading scheme. Unfortunately, this grade is right in line with the city grade in Glendora, which is also very poor. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this nursing home's report card is its impressive short-term care grade. You can continue reading to learn more about short-term care and other category scores
Glendora Canyon Transitional Care Unit
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
Although we were not high on this facility overall, we awarded it a B+ for our short-term care score. Short-term care grades are critical for prospective residents looking for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally utilizes higher levels of skilled nursing. This includes a broad spectrum of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. We weren't able to find information about this nursing home's registered nurse or physical therapy staffing. Finally, we considered the percentage of patients that ultimately were able to return home from this nursing home. We found that 5.1 percent of this nursing home's patients were able to return home.
Surprisingly, this facility actually received an impressive nursing grade this year as well. We gave it a grade of B+ in this category. Nursing scores are primarily associated with the nursing home's nurse staffing. This facility provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can many times be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Glendora Canyon Transitional Care Unit?
Long-term Care Quality
As it turns out, this facility only received a D for its long-term care score, which is not an impressive grade. For prospective patients seeking a permanent residence rather than rehabilitation, long-term care is an important category. Once we assessed the quantity of care provided by nurses, we next considered the facility's vaccination data. We were pleased to find that this nursing home vaccinates 100 percent of its patients against pneumonia. To our surprise, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this facility has less hospitalizations than the majority of nursing homes. Unfortunately, some of its other scores in the category weren't as favorable as these.
The last category we looked at is inspections. This nursing home didn't receive favorable inspections in recent years. As a result, we had to give it an F in this category. You should pay close attention to any deficiencies on a facility's inspection reports when it receives this poor of an inspection rating. We suggest you pay close attention to the level of severity of those deficiencies. This facility was hit with 7 deficiencies by CMS. The only favorable thing we found is that none of these deficiencies were in the categories that indicate that they caused a risk to resident health or safety. Finally, we want to draw your attention to the fact that this facility received large government fines recently amounting to more than $100,000. This usually means that a poor track record has been an issue for multiple years.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Glendora Canyon Transitional Care Unit Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Glendora Canyon Transitional Care Unit, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric measures the percent of long-term patients that suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are a great indicator of quality of care.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Glendora Canyon Transitional Care Unit, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients who have had a fall which resulted in serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Glendora Canyon Transitional Care Unit, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients which have experienced UTI's. Although more of these infections could reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it can be problematic to compare between facilities due to nursing homes having inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Glendora Canyon Transitional Care Unit, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who were administered antipsychotic drugs. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior in scenarios where such drugs aren't medically required. Nevertheless, some facilities need to rely on these drugs due to having more residents suffering from Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Glendora Canyon Transitional Care Unit, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients prescribed antianxiety medications. These drugs are typically prescribed to patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Glendora Canyon Transitional Care Unit, 4.33% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care patients who are demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Glendora Canyon Transitional Care Unit, 95.72% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Glendora Canyon Transitional Care Unit, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Glendora Canyon Transitional Care Unit, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of residents that maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Glendora Canyon Transitional Care Unit, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Glendora Canyon Transitional Care Unit, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Glendora Canyon Transitional Care Unit, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Glendora Canyon Transitional Care Unit, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percent of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many believe this is a measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Glendora, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of D
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of D
Looking for more options? Glendora, California has 4 other nursing homes
- Glendora Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.39 miles away150 West Route 66 Glendora California 91740Proprietary(626) 335-0231
- San Dimas Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.08 miles away1350 W Covina Blvd San Dimas California 91773Proprietary(909) 599-6811
- Emanate Health Inter-Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.25 miles away210 W San Bernardino Road Covina California 91723Proprietary(626) 814-2468
- Pomona Valley Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.79 miles away1798 N Garey Ave Pomona California 91767Voluntary non-profit - Private(909) 865-9500
- Methodist Hospital of Southern CaAcute Care Hospitals 9.89 miles away300 W Huntington Dr Arcadia California 91006Voluntary non-profit - Private(626) 445-4441
- Montclair Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.71 miles away5000 San Bernardino St Montclair California 91763Voluntary non-profit - Private(909) 625-8300
- Chino Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.97 miles away5451 Walnut Ave Chino California 91710Proprietary(909) 627-6111
- San Antonio Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.54 miles away999 San Bernardino Road Upland California 91786Voluntary non-profit - Other(714) 985-2811
- Fmc-Rai-W. Foothill Blvd-Glendora0.25 miles away120 W. Foothill Blvd. Glendora California 91740CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (626) 335-7551
- Mohan Dialysis Center of Glendora0.51 miles away638 S. Glendora Avenue Glendora California 91740CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (626) 914-5553
- Davita-Glendora Foothills Dialysis0.59 miles away750 West Route 66, Suite Q Glendora California 91740Dialysis Stations: 24 (626) 335-2063
- Azusa Dialysis Center, LLC2.18 miles away312 N. Azusa Avenue Azusa California 91702Dialysis Stations: 24 (626) 633-1500
- Citrus Dialysis Center3.3 miles away315 N. Third Avenue, Suite 104 Covina California 91723CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (626) 331-0133
- Mohan Dialysis Center of Covina3.38 miles away158 W. College Street Covina California 91723CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (626) 859-2522
- San Dimas Dialysis Center, Inc.4.06 miles away1335 Cypress Street, Suite 102 San Dimas California 91773CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (909) 542-2802
- Fmc-Irwindale4.13 miles away12711 Ramona Blvd., Suite 111 Baldwin Park California 91706CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (626) 856-3944