Located in Glendora, California, Glendora Canyon Transitional Care Unit is the sole nursing home we were able to find in the city. This nursing home received a concerning overall grade of D in our grading scheme. This place has very little going for it. More information on this facility's category grades may be found below. Its best category is short-term care, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Glendora Canyon Transitional Care Unit
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Glendora senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
Although we were not high on this facility overall, we awarded it a B for our short-term care score. Short-term care grades are critical for prospective residents looking for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally utilizes higher levels of skilled nursing. This includes a broad spectrum of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. We weren't able to find information about this nursing home's registered nurse or physical therapy staffing. Finally, we considered the percentage of patients that ultimately were able to return home from this nursing home. We found that 5.6 percent of this nursing home's patients were able to return home.
We awarded this facility a respectable grade in the area of nursing as well, with a grade of C. Nursing scores are primarily associated with the nursing home's nurse staffing. This nursing home averages just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low figure. Finally, nursing ratings also factor in quality-based metrics, such as preventing major falls. Despite not having the highest total nursing hours per resident, this place performed admirably in the area of preventing major falls. This is typically a reliable indicator that a place has sufficient quality controls in place. Some falls can be avoided if a facility provides enough nurses to assist its residents.
Does this page answer your questions about Glendora Canyon Transitional Care Unit?
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on to the area of long-term care, this nursing home received a grade of just D in this area. For patients seeking a permanent place to live rather than rehabilitation, long-term care is an important category. One of the factors we considered in addition to nursing hours was vaccinations. Fortunately, this nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccine to 100 percent of its residents. To our surprise, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.03 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this facility had fewer hospitalizations than the majority of nursing homes. Unfortunately, some of its other scores in the category weren't as favorable as these.
The last category we assessed is inspections. This facility did not receive positive inspection reports in recent years. In fact, we had to give it an F here. With facilities that received this poor of an inspection rating, we recommend scrutinizing any severe deficiencies on its inspection report. This particular facility was assessed 7 deficiencies on its inspection report. The only favorable thing we can say is that none of the deficiencies were in the categories that indicate they caused a risk to resident safety or health. Finally, we would like to draw your attention to the fact that this nursing home was assessed significant government fines of over $100,000. This generally means that a nursing home's bad performance spanned multiple years.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Glendora Canyon Transitional Care Unit Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Glendora Canyon Transitional Care Unit, 16.07% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage resulting from staying in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Glendora Canyon Transitional Care Unit, 1.87% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care residents which have suffered falls which caused serious injury. This is one of the statistics we use in determining nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Glendora Canyon Transitional Care Unit, 0% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint tells you the percent of long-term residents that suffered from urinary tract infections. Although more infections may reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it can be problematic to compare between facilities due to facilities having inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Glendora Canyon Transitional Care Unit, 6.91% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Glendora Canyon Transitional Care Unit, 14.84% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure gauges the percent of long-term patients which were administered antianxiety drugs. These medications are used to treat patients experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Glendora Canyon Transitional Care Unit, 10.68% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Glendora Canyon Transitional Care Unit, 100% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Glendora Canyon Transitional Care Unit, 3.34% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay residents who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and bathing. Many in the industry believe this is a reliable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Glendora Canyon Transitional Care Unit, 4.36% of Residents
This tells you the percentage of residents that maintained mobility over time. Optimizing mobility can be a great sign for residents' health.
In Glendora Canyon Transitional Care Unit, 0.03 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is critical to maintaining the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Glendora Canyon Transitional Care Unit, 4.36% of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Glendora Canyon Transitional Care Unit, 8.74% of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Glendora Canyon Transitional Care Unit, 95.87% of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term patients that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of independence with ADL's often correlates with superior rehabilitation services.
- Glendora Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.39 miles away150 West Route 66 Glendora California 91740Proprietary(626) 335-0231
- San Dimas Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.08 miles away1350 W Covina Blvd San Dimas California 91773Proprietary(909) 599-6811
- Emanate Health Inter-Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.25 miles away210 W San Bernardino Road Covina California 91723Proprietary(626) 814-2468
- Pomona Valley Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.79 miles away1798 N Garey Ave Pomona California 91767Voluntary non-profit - Private(909) 865-9500
- Methodist Hospital of Southern CaAcute Care Hospitals 9.89 miles away300 W Huntington Dr Arcadia California 91006Voluntary non-profit - Private(626) 445-4441
- Montclair Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.71 miles away5000 San Bernardino St Montclair California 91763Voluntary non-profit - Private(909) 625-8300
- Chino Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.97 miles away5451 Walnut Ave Chino California 91710Proprietary(909) 627-6111
- San Antonio Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.54 miles away999 San Bernardino Road Upland California 91786Voluntary non-profit - Other(714) 985-2811
- Fmc-Rai-W. Foothill Blvd-Glendora0.25 miles away120 W. Foothill Blvd. Glendora California 91740CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (626) 335-7551
- Mohan Dialysis Center of Glendora0.51 miles away638 S. Glendora Avenue Glendora California 91740CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (626) 914-5553
- Davita-Glendora Foothills Dialysis0.59 miles away750 West Route 66, Suite Q Glendora California 91740Dialysis Stations: 24 (626) 335-2063
- Azusa Dialysis Center, LLC2.18 miles away312 N. Azusa Avenue Azusa California 91702Dialysis Stations: 24 (626) 633-1500
- Citrus Dialysis Center3.3 miles away315 N. Third Avenue, Suite 104 Covina California 91723CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (626) 331-0133
- Mohan Dialysis Center of Covina3.38 miles away158 W. College Street Covina California 91723CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (626) 859-2522
- San Dimas Dialysis Center, Inc.4.06 miles away1335 Cypress Street, Suite 102 San Dimas California 91773CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (909) 542-2802
- Fmc-Irwindale4.13 miles away12711 Ramona Blvd., Suite 111 Baldwin Park California 91706CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (626) 856-3944