Gladstone Care and Rehabilitation is an average-sized nursing home in Glendora, California. This nursing home was given an overall score of F. This facility is just about as bad as it gets. We wouldn't blame you if you are ready to stop reading and find another nursing home. However, if you want to learn more about this facility's category grades, short-term care grades are discussed in the next section.
Gladstone Care and Rehabilitation
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
Note: Gladstone Care and Rehabilitation has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Dialysis Transportation
- Medical Transportation
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Catheter Care
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
Even though we graded this facility incredibly poorly overall, it received a fairly respectable short-term care score this year. We gave it a B- in that area. In our short-term care category, we strive to forge a fair measure for rehabilitation services. In doing so, we assess the facility's level of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as occupational therapy. We were surprised to find that this place was below average in the two key staffing areas we focus on. It provided fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other nursing homes. The last datapoint we assessed in this area is the number of residents who were able to leave the facility and return home. We discovered that just 0 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home, which is below average.
One of the other reasons we rated this nursing home so highly is that it earned a very impressive nursing grade. Nursing turned out to be its second best category grade. In that category, we awarded this facility an C. Our nursing grade weighs a handful of subcategories, but the primary consideration is the number of nurse hours per patient per week. This facility averages 0.5 hours of nursing care per patient daily, which is a very low figure. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this nursing home surprisingly excelled in some of the quality measures we looked at. It scored well in the area of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls.
Does this page answer your questions about Gladstone Care and Rehabilitation?
Long-term Care Quality
Unfortunately, this facility's third highest category is long-term care. As it turns out, with a grade of D in this area, it still fared somewhat badly. For prospective patients looking for a permanent residence as opposed to rehabilitation, long-term care is a very important category. In addition to looking at the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. Thankfully, this facility administered the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is a very solid figure. Surprisingly, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.03 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this facility has less hospitalizations than the majority of nursing homes. Sadly, some of its other scores in the category were not as favorable as these.
Turning our final area of inspections, this facility received an F here. With places that received this bad of an inspection rating, we would scrutinize any severe deficiencies on its inspection report. This particular nursing home was assessed 9 deficiencies on its inspection report. The only positive thing we can say is that none of these deficiencies were in the categories that indicate that they caused a threat to resident health or safety. Finally, CMS cited this nursing home for possible abuse or neglect. Hopefully, its performance improves in the future, but until then we simply can't recommend this facility.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Gladstone Care and Rehabilitation Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Gladstone Care and Rehabilitation, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are routinely the result of residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care reduces the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Gladstone Care and Rehabilitation, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric is an indication of the percent of long-term stay patients that have suffered a fall leading to major injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls may be an indicator of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Gladstone Care and Rehabilitation, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's could be a sign of lower quality nursing care. Nevertheless, this statistic could be skewed for some facilities due to varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Gladstone Care and Rehabilitation, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term patients receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to ensure these medications are being used appropriately. In some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may mean a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Gladstone Care and Rehabilitation, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Gladstone Care and Rehabilitation, 4.64% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Gladstone Care and Rehabilitation, 95.44% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Gladstone Care and Rehabilitation, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay residents that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and using the bathroom. Many in the industry would argue that this is a reasonable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Gladstone Care and Rehabilitation, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percentage of long-term residents that remained mobile levels.
In Gladstone Care and Rehabilitation, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Gladstone Care and Rehabilitation, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Gladstone Care and Rehabilitation, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to assess short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Gladstone Care and Rehabilitation, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percent of short-term care patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many believe that this is a reasonable measure of rehabilitation services.
Scores for Glendora, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of D
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of D
Looking for more options? Glendora, California has 4 other nursing homes
- Glendora Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.15 miles away150 West Route 66 Glendora California 91740Proprietary(626) 335-0231
- San Dimas Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.59 miles away1350 W Covina Blvd San Dimas California 91773Proprietary(909) 599-6811
- Emanate Health Inter-Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.68 miles away210 W San Bernardino Road Covina California 91723Proprietary(626) 814-2468
- Pomona Valley Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.5 miles away1798 N Garey Ave Pomona California 91767Voluntary non-profit - Private(909) 865-9500
- Montclair Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.55 miles away5000 San Bernardino St Montclair California 91763Voluntary non-profit - Private(909) 625-8300
- Methodist Hospital of Southern CaAcute Care Hospitals 10.78 miles away300 W Huntington Dr Arcadia California 91006Voluntary non-profit - Private(626) 445-4441
- Chino Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.59 miles away5451 Walnut Ave Chino California 91710Proprietary(909) 627-6111
- San Antonio Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.59 miles away999 San Bernardino Road Upland California 91786Voluntary non-profit - Other(714) 985-2811
- Mohan Dialysis Center of Glendora1.04 miles away638 S. Glendora Avenue Glendora California 91740CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (626) 914-5553
- Fmc-Rai-W. Foothill Blvd-Glendora1.6 miles away120 W. Foothill Blvd. Glendora California 91740CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (626) 335-7551
- Davita-Glendora Foothills Dialysis1.61 miles away750 West Route 66, Suite Q Glendora California 91740Dialysis Stations: 24 (626) 335-2063
- Citrus Dialysis Center2.68 miles away315 N. Third Avenue, Suite 104 Covina California 91723CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (626) 331-0133
- Mohan Dialysis Center of Covina2.72 miles away158 W. College Street Covina California 91723CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (626) 859-2522
- San Dimas Dialysis Center, Inc.2.88 miles away1335 Cypress Street, Suite 102 San Dimas California 91773CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (909) 542-2802
- Azusa Dialysis Center, LLC3.07 miles away312 N. Azusa Avenue Azusa California 91702Dialysis Stations: 24 (626) 633-1500
- Fmc-Irwindale4.54 miles away12711 Ramona Blvd., Suite 111 Baldwin Park California 91706CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (626) 856-3944