Gilpin Hall turns out to be one of several available nursing homes to select from in Wilmington, Delaware. This nursing home received an A- overall, which is a high-end rating. We rated this nursing home in the 50 best facilities in Delaware. This facility also received very consistent grades in each of the major categories we assessed. More information about these categories is available below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
- Adult Day Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
1101 Gilpin Avenue,
Wilmington DE 19806
94.79% estimated occupancy 1
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Top Nursing Home in Delaware Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in Delaware Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
On top of receiving a great overall grade, this nursing home excelled in nursing. In fact, we gave it a grade of A for that category. Our nursing rating looks at the facility's nurse staffing levels. We look at both the levels of skill of those nurses and the number of hours spent with residents. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality measures and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility Delaware in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can many times be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as employing a policy of turning a patient more frequently.
In addition, this facility also performed well in our inspection category, which is based on the facility's recent inspections. We gave it a grade of B+ for that area. Our inspection ratings are tied to several items located in the a nursing home's government inspections. Places that score well in this area tend to have very few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these facilities generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. This nursing home was assessed 6 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none of the deficiencies were considered severe. This means that the government inspectors did not consider any of these deficiencies to pose an immediate risk to patient health or safety. The fact that the deficiencies were relatively minor leaves us less concerned with this inspection report.
Does this page answer your questions about Gilpin Hall?
Short-term Care Quality
This facility also received a favorable short-term care score. In fact, we gave it an above average score of B+ in this category. Our short-term care grades are thought to be most important for people in need of rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation generally utilizes higher levels of skilled nursing. This includes not just nursing services, but also physical and respiratory therapy, as well as other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we assessed the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
In our final category, this nursing home also received an impressive long-term care rating, with a B+. This rounded out a very strong report card. When nursing homes receive this type of grade in long-term care it is a good sign for resident care and suggests that the nursing home is well-staffed with nurses aids. One of the data points we considered on top of nursing hours is vaccinations. This nursing home provided the pneumonia vaccination to 97.3607 percent of its patients. This is a great way to avoid unnecessary deaths and hospitalizations for the aged 65 and up population. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Gilpin Hall Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Gilpin Hall, 5.88% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are routinely caused by residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols can minimize the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Gilpin Hall, 3.19% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients that suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injuries are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls are routinely caused by lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Gilpin Hall, 2.01% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are often caused by a facility with lower levels of hygiene. However, this datapoint can also be skewed for certain facilities due to different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Gilpin Hall, 10.65% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents prescribed antipsychotic medications. These medications are sometimes used for several medical conditions, including cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Gilpin Hall, 18.41% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Gilpin Hall, 4.11% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents demonstrating depressive symptoms. Increased rates of depression may be a sign a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Gilpin Hall, 92.35% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care patients who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home residents, making these vaccines indispensable.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Gilpin Hall, 13.82% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and using the bathroom.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Gilpin Hall, 17.81% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of residents who were able to retain mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
In Gilpin Hall, 1.69 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Gilpin Hall, 17.81 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Gilpin Hall, 13.58 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Scores for Wilmington, DE
- Overall Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Wilmington, Delaware has 10 other nursing homes
- Alfred I Dupont Hospital for ChildrenChildrens 2.03 miles away1600 Rockland Rd PO Box 269 Wilmington Delaware 19899Voluntary non-profit - Private(302) 651-4000
- Rockford CenterPsychiatric 6.91 miles away100 Rockford Drive Newark Delaware 19713Proprietary(302) 996-5480
- Christiana Care Health Services, Inc.Acute Care Hospitals 7.68 miles away4755 Ogletown-Stanton Road Newark Delaware 19718Voluntary non-profit - Private(302) 733-1000
- Salem Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.45 miles away310 Woodstown Road Salem New Jersey 08079Voluntary non-profit - Private(856) 935-1000
- Riddle Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.15 miles away1068 West Baltimore Pike Media Pennsylvania 19063Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 566-9400
- Chester County HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.38 miles away701 East Marshall Street West Chester Pennsylvania 19380Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 431-5000
- Jennersville HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.06 miles away1015 West Baltimore Pike West Grove Pennsylvania 19390Voluntary non-profit - Other(610) 869-1000
- Mercy Catholic Medical Center- Mercy FitzgeraldAcute Care Hospitals 19.5 miles away1500 Lansdowne Ave Darby Pennsylvania 19023Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 237-4000
- Liberty Dialysis - Wilmington0.09 miles away913 Delaware Avenue Wilmington Delaware 19806CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (302) 429-0142
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Riverside Park1.26 miles awayRiverside Medical Arts Complex, Suite g2 700 W. Lea Boulevard Wilmington Delaware 19802Dialysis Stations: 24 (302) 762-8585
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Brandywine1.37 miles away303 a Street Wilmington Delaware 19801Dialysis Stations: 25 (302) 658-7469
- Fresenius Kidney Care - North Wilmington1.78 miles away4000 Washington Street Wilmington Delaware 19802Dialysis Stations: 17 (302) 762-2903
- Alfred I. Dupont Hospital for Children Dialysis Center1.82 miles away1600 Rockland Road Wilmington Delaware 19899Dialysis Stations: 6 (302) 651-5374
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Wilmington1.96 miles awaySt. Francis Medical Office Building, Suite 404 7th and Clayton Street Wilmington Delaware 19805Dialysis Stations: 17 (302) 421-9177
- Wilmington Veterans Administration Medical Center2.87 miles away1601 Kirkwood Highway Wilmington Delaware 19805Dialysis Stations: 5 (302) 994-2511
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Newport Pike4.19 miles away605 W. Newport Pike Wilmington Delaware 19804Dialysis Stations: 16 (302) 633-6228