Gem Transitional is a small facility in Pasadena, California. This facility was given an overall grade of B, which is a quality rating. You could certainly do much worse than this nursing home. Fortunately, this facility didn't have any poor grades in any of the major categories discussed below. Additional information about its category grades is available below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Pasadena senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Dialysis Transportation
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
On top of being a quality nursing home overall, this nursing home really excelled in nursing, where it received an A. The nursing rating weighs a host of subcategories. The most important factor is the number of hours nurses spend with patients. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality measures and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can many times be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as having a protocol of turning patients more frequently.
We also want to emphasize this facility's nearly flawless health inspections in recent years. We gave them an B+ in this area. Our inspection scores are based on many items located in the a nursing home's recent inspections. Places that score well in this area tend to have very few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these facilities should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. This nursing home was hit with 5 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered to be severe deficiencies. This tells you that the government inspectors didn't deem any of these deficiencies to cause an immediate risk to resident health or safety. Remember that deficiency-free inspection reports are uncommon in this industry.
Does this page answer your questions about Gem Transitional?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home received a strong short-term care score as well. We gave it one of our higher scores in that category with a grade of B+. Our short-term care grade is typically employed to judge a facility's performance with rehabilitation In order to provide highly rated rehabilitation services, facilities generally need to offer better levels of skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, respiratory therapists and other licensed professionals. Unfortunately, we weren't able to locate registered nurse or physical therapy staffing data for this facility. The last datapoint we considered in this category is the percentage of residents that returned home from the facility. We found that 4.8 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Long-term Care Quality
The last category we scored was long-term care. This facility received a grade of C for the area. In our long-term care rating, we focus on the amount of services offered by a nursing home, as well as a few quality statistics. In addition to assessing the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is better than most nursing homes. This facility was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Gem Transitional Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Gem Transitional, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage resulting from staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Gem Transitional, 1.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term stay patients who sustained falls which caused severe injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries could be a sign of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Gem Transitional, 1.34% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections could be linked to insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Gem Transitional, 10.3% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients given antipsychotic medications. These medications may be used for several medical conditions, such as dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Gem Transitional, 13.84% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients given antianxiety medications. These drugs are prescribed to residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Gem Transitional, 5.83% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Gem Transitional, 95.65% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Gem Transitional, 8.26% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of patients that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Gem Transitional, 10.41% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients who maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility can be a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Gem Transitional, 1.78 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care. There is typically a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the overall quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Gem Transitional, 10.41 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Gem Transitional, 11.34 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Gem Transitional, 79.12% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term stay patients that experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Pasadena, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Pasadena, California has 6 other nursing homes
- Huntington Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.17 miles away100 W California Blvd Pasadena California 91109Voluntary non-profit - Other(626) 397-5000
- San Gabriel Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.38 miles away438 W Las Tunas Drive San Gabriel California 91776Proprietary(626) 289-5454
- Glendale Adventist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.72 miles away1509 E Wilson Terrace Glendale California 91206Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 409-8202
- Garfield Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.84 miles away525 N Garfield Ave Monterey Park California 91754Proprietary(626) 573-2222
- Lac+Usc Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.07 miles away1200 N State St, Room c2k100 Los Angeles California 90033Government - Local(323) 226-2800
- Glendale Mem Hospital & Hlth CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.15 miles away1420 S Central Ave Glendale California 91204Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 502-1900
- Methodist Hospital of Southern CaAcute Care Hospitals 6.17 miles away300 W Huntington Dr Arcadia California 91006Voluntary non-profit - Private(626) 445-4441
- Usc Verdugo Hills HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.31 miles away1812 Verdugo Blvd Glendale California 91209Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 790-7100
- Fmc-Liberty West Pasadena0.1 miles away757 S. Raymond Avenue Pasadena California 91105Dialysis Stations: 21 (626) 396-6957
- Huntington Dialysis Center0.12 miles away806 S. Fair Oaks Avenue Pasadena California 91105CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 48 (626) 792-0548
- Fmc-Arroyo Dialysis Center0.2 miles away1111 S. Arroyo Parkway, Suite 150 Pasadena California 91105CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (626) 441-9500
- Davita-Huntington Dialysis0.38 miles away390 S. Fair Oaks Blvd. Pasadena California 91105Dialysis Stations: 25 (626) 564-2818
- Davita-Eaton Canyon Dialysis3.87 miles away2551 E. Washington Blvd. Pasadena California 91107CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (626) 798-8896
- Fmc-San Gabriel Dialysis Center3.9 miles away1801 W. Valley Blvd., Suite 102 Alhambra California 91803CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 38 (626) 457-9002
- Fmc-San Gabriel Valley Pd Clinic3.9 miles away1801 W. Valley Blvd., Suite 204 Alhambra California 91803Dialysis Stations: 6 (626) 457-6540
- Fmc-Alhambra3.94 miles away2300 W. Valley Blvd. Alhambra California 91803Dialysis Stations: 20 (626) 458-4726