Garnet Hill Rehabilitation and Skilled Care is a large government-owned facility located in Wylie, Texas. Featuring an overall rating of B+, this is a high quality nursing home. Based on all of the relevant data, you could do much worse than this place. This facility's strong report card was highlighted by its inspection reports, which you can find in the next section.
Garnet Hill Rehabilitation and Skilled Care
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Government - Hospital district
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
One of the reasons this place is a quality nursing home is that it earned a very impressive inspection rating. Inspections turned out to be its best category grade. In this area, we gave it an A. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in computing our inspection ratings. One of those factors is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of these deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some deficiencies end up being quite minor. This facility received 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none were considered to be major deficiencies. This tells you that CMS didn't deem any of the deficiencies to create an imminent threat to resident safety or health. Remember that deficiency-free inspections are uncommon in this industry.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility is also above average in the category of short-term care, where it was awarded a grade of B+. It outperformed most nursing homes in this category. Our short-term care grade is commonly employed to assess a nursing home's performance with rehabilitation. In order to offer high-end rehabilitation services, facilities generally need to have better levels of skilled nursing services. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other licensed professionals. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last measure we assessed in this category is the percentage of patients that ultimately were able to return home from the nursing home. We found that 6.2 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about Garnet Hill Rehabilitation and Skilled Care?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility was given an impressive long-term care score as well. We gave it one of our better grades in that category with a grade of B. Long-term care grades of this caliber generally require both around the clock care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine medical care. On top of looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to 95.622894 percent of its patients, which is more than the majority of nursing homes. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0.03 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
The final category we assessed is nursing, where this facility was given a grade of B-. This turned out to be this facility's weakest category. This is nevertheless not a poor grade. Our nursing grade assesses the nursing home's nurse staffing levels. We look at both the levels of training of those nurses and the amount of time spent with patients. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this facility actually excelled in some of the quality-based metrics we assessed. It performed well when it comes to avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. Many consider these areas to be indicators of the quality of nursing care. In many cases, the quality of nursing care is every bit as important as the number of hours of care provided.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Garnet Hill Rehabilitation and Skilled Care Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Garnet Hill Rehabilitation and Skilled Care, 7.94% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This measures the percent of long-term stay patients which suffered from pressure ulcers or bed sores. We consider this statistic when determining our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Garnet Hill Rehabilitation and Skilled Care, 3.28% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents who sustained a fall resulting in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Garnet Hill Rehabilitation and Skilled Care, 1.64% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. These infections are linked to poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Garnet Hill Rehabilitation and Skilled Care, 11.75% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These drugs may be used to treat several medical conditions, such as dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Garnet Hill Rehabilitation and Skilled Care, 22.77% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are prescribed to residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Garnet Hill Rehabilitation and Skilled Care, 4.66% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Garnet Hill Rehabilitation and Skilled Care, 94.73% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Garnet Hill Rehabilitation and Skilled Care, 17.29% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term residents who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and using the bathroom. Some would argue this is a reasonable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Garnet Hill Rehabilitation and Skilled Care, 18.08% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients that remained mobile levels. Some experts believe that mobility is vital to residents' physical and mental health.
In Garnet Hill Rehabilitation and Skilled Care, 1.58 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Garnet Hill Rehabilitation and Skilled Care, 18.08 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care. Avoiding the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Garnet Hill Rehabilitation and Skilled Care, 11.87 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between keeping patients out of the emergency room and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Garnet Hill Rehabilitation and Skilled Care, 66.73% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term stay patients that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of independence with ADL's often correlates with better rehabilitation.
- Methodist Richardson Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.13 miles away2831 E President George Bush Highway Richardson Texas 75082Government - Hospital District or Authority(469) 204-1000
- Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital AllenAcute Care Hospitals 7.06 miles away1105 Central Expressway North Allen Texas 75013Government - Federal(972) 747-6197
- Medical City MckinneyAcute Care Hospitals 8.85 miles away4500 Medical Center Drive Mckinney Texas 75069Proprietary(972) 547-8000
- Baylor Scott and White Medical Center Lake PointeAcute Care Hospitals 9.44 miles away6800 Scenic Dr Rowlett Texas 75088Proprietary(972) 412-2273
- Medical City PlanoAcute Care Hospitals 10.03 miles away3901 W 15th St Plano Texas 75075Proprietary(972) 596-6800
- The Heart Hospital Baylor PlanoAcute Care Hospitals 11.48 miles away1100 Allied Drive Plano Texas 75093Proprietary(469) 814-3278
- Baylor Regional Medical Center at PlanoAcute Care Hospitals 11.54 miles away4700 Alliance Boulevard Plano Texas 75093Voluntary non-profit - Other(469) 814-2000
- Baylor Scott & White Medical Center - CentennialAcute Care Hospitals 11.57 miles away12505 Lebanon Road Frisco Texas 75035Voluntary non-profit - Other(972) 963-3333
- Liberty Dialysis - Wylie Murphy2.58 miles away2300 W Fm 544 Suite 140 Wylie Texas 75098Dialysis Stations: 18 (972) 429-3700
- Wylie Dialysis3.11 miles away941 South Westgate Way Wylie Texas 75098Dialysis Stations: 15 (972) 429-4315
- Us Renal Care Plano Dialysis4.45 miles away4108 W 15th Street Suite 100 Plano Texas 75093Dialysis Stations: 13 (469) 209-0355
- Usrc Richardson, LLC4.61 miles away3321 E. Renner Rd Suite 100 Richardson Texas 75082Dialysis Stations: 13 (972) 479-9401
- Fresenius Medical Care Renner Road, LLC4.65 miles away3517 Spectrum Blvd Richardson Texas 75082Dialysis Stations: 19 (972) 234-4326
- Plano Dialysis Center4.72 miles away481 Shiloh Road, Suite 100 Plano Texas 75074CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (972) 881-3270
- Allen Dialysis5.74 miles away201 South Jupiter Road Allen Texas 75002Dialysis Stations: 21 (469) 342-6709
- Us Renal Care East Plano Dialysis6.17 miles away2721 Dobie Dr Plano Texas 75074Dialysis Stations: 13 (469) 277-6041